APRCRA

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rip I did respond to the intial post on this subject on Jim's and stated exactly what Don had stated earlier on this post. I have made it a policy not to discuss IMPBA business on the forums since all it usually does is open the doors for the "forum fanantics" to go off on another tirade, which in turn hurts model boating in general by chasing away prospective new boaters.

Bill Zuber

I believe the amateur rule has been in the IMPBA rule book since almost day one. At that time IMPBA was about the only kid on the block. I think it was written to mean there would be no races for money in the IMPBA. Racing for money in another org. or industry should not be a problem. I don't believe the IMPBA could cancel a member's membership and go to court and make this rule stick if a person raced for money in another org. other than IMPBA. I think it will just be ignored and I think that is the best approach.
Bill Zuber, pres. of IMPBA, has made comments on this post but unlike Al Waters of NAMBA, he did not confirm the IMPBA stand on the issue. There was a BOD meeting at the IMPBA Nitro nats. and I'm sure this item was discussed. ????????

I believe the amateur rule has been in the IMPBA rule book since almost day one. At that time IMPBA was about the only kid on the block. I think it was written to mean there would be no races for money in the IMPBA. Racing for money in another org. or industry should not be a problem. I don't believe the IMPBA could cancel a member's membership and go to court and make this rule stick if a person raced for money in another org. other than IMPBA. I think it will just be ignored and I think that is the best approach.
Bill Zuber, pres. of IMPBA, has made comments on this post but unlike Al Waters of NAMBA, he did not confirm the IMPBA stand on the issue. There was a BOD meeting at the IMPBA Nitro nats. and I'm sure this item was discussed. ????????
Rip & others- rather than stirring the sxxt again on this subject over here (the topic has been locked & removed on JRCBD) or giving personal interpretations of the current rule, may I suggest you all read up on this very topic in the next Roostertail coming out in a couple weeks. I presented a proposal during the executive session, which was accepted by the BOD to go out to membership for discussion, to address this very subject. After that, it should be out for voting in the December issue which should rectify this & make everything crystal clear for the '08 season. B)

And BTW- with the advantage of having multiple law firms in my building, I did talk to two different attorneys and as the rule is currently written the IMPBA could suspend anyone who accepts a cash prize specifically for racing a model boat, even outside the org. However, it was & is my opinion that being a bunch of "headhunters" is not the image we in the IMPBA need to portray, thus I submitted my proposal. I'm sure it will satisfy even those with the tightest wound panties over this subject. :p

Now let's get back to the fun stuff. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the answers guys. The Pro attempt to race for money has been tried in the past and I doubt this new one will have any better luck than the previous ones. Hey, it's only a hobby, plus a well known R/C boat Mfg. stated that the racing crowd is only 10% of his business.

However, I do believe the people that want to race at the pro events should have that opportunity without any restrictions from IMPBA. Looks like I will have a chance to vote my opinion. Thanks Don.

Hi Guys,

I was at the race this past weekend and had a good time. I'm surprised that more people didn't show up, I was a bit disappointed by the lack of support to tell the truth. None the less the organizers did a great job of hosting the event and if you didn't attend you simply missed out. I do know more races are in the works and the APRA was not deterred by the low turn out and were upbeat throughout the weekend. They did exactly what they said they would and as far as I'm concerned the APRA is the real deal folks.

Here's how I did.

moneyshot.jpg

The trophy on the left is the Grand Champion trophy.

Paul.

Posted on this somewhere else and as I stated, had a great time and backup everything stated by Paul.

Next time I will be ready for Offshore. We did get some good racing in though.

Just as a note, there was no fighting. Unless you count the peanut fighting at the steakhouse.

Did they pay the purse that was advertised? Wasn't 1st supposed to be $750 and 2nd $500? I think many were waiting to see if they followed through on the promises before they sent in membership and entry fees. I like to make sure that something is real before I send money, every since a friend found out his mail order Russian bride he had been sending money had a beard. :blink:

Did they pay the purse that was advertised? Wasn't 1st supposed to be $750 and 2nd $500? I think many were waiting to see if they followed through on the promises before they sent in membership and entry fees. I like to make sure that something is real before I send money, every since a friend found out his mail order Russian bride he had been sending money had a beard. :blink:
Dang it Eric, you promised not to tell. :rolleyes:

JD

Hi Guys,

The pic Don posted pretty much sums it up.

Did they pay the purse that was advertised?
Like I mentioned in my other post, they did exactly what they said they would. I was told they didn't care if only one person showed, they would have paid out period.

Paul.

Latest posts

Back