Any former BMX guys on here ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rode from the early 80s until the mid 90s. Started racing on Redline then got a deal from a local shop on PK Ripper. Once the local tracks started to dry up a friend built a quater pipe in his back yard and we did that for a couple of years. Then I started racing motocross and never pedaled anything again.

Tom Kennedy in our group is still racing at 51... or so, lol... his bike is space age and a major investment on like 22 or 26 inch rims and all tricked out... idk.. he calls it "cruiser class".. we come a long way from back in the day... i was astounded... I went from the old Schwinn 60/60,(?) had a mongoose, or something to a PK, then to a Torker, and a Redline last... we used to street race a city block all around the city... so, i geared from an old applecrate schwinn 5 speed at the front 54 tooth sprocket and a 13 rear on my bike... they always took me off the line.... lol... wed rob every junk old ten speed we could for the long cranks for swing and have at it... never could find a crank hold up to dumpster jumping.... bent rims like candy and spent alot of time at the bike shop until the guy sold me a spoke tuner... then they come up with plastic mags ( broke, and heavy) and Area alloy rims were hot, and on to the z rims... id watch as we got serious air and the z's would fold in half and spring back.... coolness... left wrist twice, right wrist once and the bone fragments still floatin around in my chin... it was fun.. and the rush of that era easy.... idk.. back then i weighed around 106 pounds and when the lighter bikes came out it was a blast... i was the fastest kid i my city quadrant... we'd ride all night looking for trouble and race when we found it... the good days... my old man... never wrenched on my bike... back then, flat from the ramp, you patched it... big hammer for the crank, if needed and cuttin chains, and whatever....we'd ride around with a big pair of vise grips clamped to the post, because thats all you needed for slipping bars or a chain.... world fell apart we all were "free wheel"... lol... get yanked around by the cops running stop signs... idk... phyically fit for sure... we were doing all the street trick crap before Mira and the boys ever got famous... and when the guys that actually had brakes and they come out with the front neck spinner deal and pegs, and wow... i never got one... fun to say the least... i built a couple of "sidewinder' bikes from an inverted girls schwinn 20 incher and it was really fun to do tricks on... bad deal was... lol my mom just come unglued about my sears toughskin pants come home with the right leg missin up to the knee 'cause.. chain guards were lost right from the get go... lol... nuffs enough... now... i just get in the truck... old times... thanks man...

have considered riding cruiser class - yeah even at 49 - lol . Still break out my Diamond Back cruiser from time to time and go for a ride, nowhere near the same tho- trash cans are safe now , as are cats
default_tongue.png
i used to treat my rides kinda the same back in the day Mike, everywhere was a track lol, sidewalk racing at its finest, if you could jump it- bunny hop it - or posi knock it - Im in.

Last edited by a moderator:
My GT freestyle bike is still in the garage. I get on it every now and then. Balance aint what it used to be. Love riding back in the 80s. Hung out in Hermosa Beach CA. Lots of pro freestylers there. Learned from the best. Was pretty good, Now I just worry about hurting myself and not being able to go to work on Mondays. Ask me how I know......LOL

Yeah!.. watch this! was good for a wrist or two on my end... bunny hopping concrete parking bumper deals ( 9 long was my best and cost me my chin..lol).. We loved late summer when the political signs all came out... the wooden ones didnt stand a chance.. wed do alleys of garbage cans to be mean.... ****... maybe.. i was a normal kid... idk.. nowdays the bikes look weirded out for each guys specialty... and a city block used to be the run... idk.. i always knew by looking at the other tough kids from across the city and the sprocket on his bike... dude had a 36/16 or 18 on there... it was over... yeah theyd kill me off the line... laugh their ass off until i was able to whip side to side and overcome that 54... half of 'em couldnt pedal fast enough by half block... i very very seldom got beat... i think , lol the alloy areas'... saved my life 'cause we were on steel forever.. even double spokers couldnt stand up... I should have competition raced back then... but.. it was for the north side kids... good times... fun times... fix your bike again time... lol...

Your making me shake the dust off old old data banks, but I wanna say I ran a 43-16 - Florida is pretty flat.

Running distance in track didnt hurt
default_wink.png

Tinker -omg - forgot all about him, and Leary !!!

anybody remember Mike Castleton ??? Rode for E-RACER - Fla boy

Latest posts

Back