Moving to Montana

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaise Recca

Just got back from a trip out west. My wife now has us moving to Missoula Mt. All I can say after a ten day ride on an HD Ultra through Utah, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, is wow.....Great fly fishing, snowmobiling, skiing, motorcycling, and more. Glacier National Park is amazing, no state sales tax, everyone owns a handgun or believes in your right to own one or several, no garbage on the highways, 75 mph speed limits and homes with river frontage and acreage that you can afford! Going to need some snowmobiles, dirt bikes, river float boat, skis, mountain bikes and my wife wants a Gator 4x4.

My question is, what RC boating activity is going on in that area of the country. We moved from Florida about 10 years ago and had more opportunities to race in that state then we could keep up with. Since moving to NC I have found to get in 4 races a year involves a lot of traveling to the surrounding states. I looked on the NAMBA site and found some races in the Wa. area. Are there any RC boat hobbyist in the North West? What classes are popular?

We plan on moving as soon as we can sell our home here in NC. Anyone looking for a ranch home on three 3 acres in North Raleigh near Falls Lake?

Carolina Pines Custom Products

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from a trip out west. My wife now has us moving to Missoula Mt. All I can say after a ten day ride on an HD Ultra through Utah, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, is wow.....Great fly fishing, snowmobiling, skiing, motorcycling, and more. Glacier National Park is amazing, no state sales tax, everyone owns a handgun or believes in your right to own one or several, no garbage on the highways, 75 mph speed limits and homes with river frontage and acreage that you can afford! Going to need some snowmobiles, dirt bikes, river float boat, skis, mountain bikes and my wife wants a Gator 4x4.

My question is, what RC boating activity is going on in that area of the country. We moved from Florida about 10 years ago and had more opportunities to race in that state then we could keep up with. Since moving to NC I have found to get in 4 races a year involves a lot of traveling to the surrounding states. I looked on the NAMBA site and found some races in the Wa. area. Are there any RC boat hobbyist in the North West? What classes are popular?

We plan on moving as soon as we can sell our home here in NC. Anyone looking for a ranch home on three 3 acres in North Raleigh near Falls Lake?

Carolina Pines Custom Products
Well, if you like driving 12 hours to race boats there's lots of racing in the Seattle/Tacoma area. Check namba8.com for our racing schedule. Popular classes - lots of 1/8 scale in RCU and UNW. 20 Stock Tunnel, 40 Stock Tunnel, Sport 20, 20 Mod Tunnel, 18 RTR Hydro, and some gas classes are the most popular. Look at the points standings for D8 on the website to see the numbers.

Al Hobbs has put on a race near Kalispel for a number of years.

JD

Hey, welcome to Montana!

I live about 180 miles due east of Missoula. Most of my racing is in Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta. Once each year I host a race about 140 miles north of Missoula near Glacier Park.

When you get here the number of competitive Montana boat racers will double!

Just be prepared to drive a lot of miles to get anywhere in Montana. Lots of area, few people.

I'm sure you will like Missoula.

Al Hobbs

You're moving to a nice town. Been there several times as the wife has relatives in Missoula and Kallispell. As you already stated, there is some great fishing areas not to far out of town. I caught a really nice brown trout out of Lolo Creek last summer, was enough for both the wife and I to have some for dinner :) Not too sure about boating sites, though Seeley Lake and two lakes south of Phillipsburg(at least I think that's the name) looked good. For boat racing, Jerry has it right, 12 to 14 hours to the Seattle area, though R/C Unlimiteds does have several races in Ellensburg and Tri-Cities during the year that are a little closer if you have a scale boat. Welcome to the Neighborhood ;)

I grew up in North Central Montana. My parents have a 1000 acre cattle ranch 40 miles west of Kallispell. After living in Michigan for 13 years,I'm looking to move back there myself. Maybe the number of boat racers will triple! Josh-

Welcome to Montana, I live in kalispell aas of the last few years the only race I make is the one that Al puts on. Hope to make more in the future.

Bob

The most popular classes at the Alberta races are 20 Mono, all of the riggers, Sport 40 and Scale.

You might find some places to practise around Missoula. If you do, let me know and I'll come over to run with you. I just drove 250 miles so I could test tomorrow.

Al Hobbs

The most popular classes at the Alberta races are 20 Mono, all of the riggers, Sport 40 and Scale.

You might find some places to practise around Missoula. If you do, let me know and I'll come over to run with you. I just drove 250 miles so I could test tomorrow.

Al Hobbs
Hell, just drop your riggers in the Missouri River. Stick boats, sticks in the river. Sticks are sticks. :rolleyes:

JD

I have been spending the last few weeks getting our home ready to list here on the local MLS and Realtor.com. Not much time to run boats recently.

Here is a link to our home for sale. I am placing this link all over the web. If any one has an interest of moving to the Raleigh NC area please let them know about this property or interest in any home in NC. Being a real estate broker today is something like the Maytag man....The phone doesn't ring as often as it did in prior years.

Please help me get to Montana soon. I am driving my wife crazy practice casting my fly rod in the house!

Check out the property here. Click on 1st Featured Home "North Raleigh Estate"

Home for Sale in Raleigh

Thanks, Blaise

You cannot find a spot in the house away from her to practice fly fishing????????? lol, You will like it out there. My parents live in Sheridan, Wyoming. You should take a look there too. The only RC they have is HUGE RC Airplane Club with their own runway/ covered work areas...its awesome. Mike

You cannot find a spot in the house away from her to practice fly fishing????????? lol, You will like it out there. My parents live in Sheridan, Wyoming. You should take a look there too. The only RC they have is HUGE RC Airplane Club with their own runway/ covered work areas...its awesome. Mike

I used to fly RC when I lived in Denver 20 years ago. We would get up to Sheridan to fly in Pattern contest. If I remember correctly it was pretty windy in Sheridan. It took a lot of rudder to hold a heading on the pattern. Nice country out there!

Back