Any former BMX guys on here ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Like it says , anyone here ever into racing BMX back in the day - or at least have a cool bike and wanted too ?

My era was late 70's early 80's.

Factory ride with Raleigh ( yeah I know
default_rolleyes.gif
-worked at a dealer at the time and it was a free "IN"
default_tongue.png
)

then a Co-Factory ride with Red-Line for a few years.

Broke out the old school Diamond Back cruiser after getting the wife a new bike the other day and have been riding a bit since.

Really have the itch for another decent BMX bike now ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't do it!!! I learned at 32 i don't get up as quick as I used to:)

Mid 90's Xgames had all mine and my brothers attention!! I had a Mongoose and a Dave Mira bike. Spent over 1,000$ of lawn mowing money for them.

Those were the days,, oh to be young again.

Late 70s mid 8o's

I was jumping out of airplanes running through the swamps!!!

Don't do it!!! I learned at 32 i don't get up as quick as I used to:)

Mid 90's Xgames had all mine and my brothers attention!! I had a Mongoose and a Dave Mira bike. Spent over 1,000$ of lawn mowing money for them.

Those were the days,, oh to be young again.
Yeah , 49 this year and still ride hard - a tick past what my body will heal from like it used too-

a lot of the time.....
default_tongue.png

I have not looked YET , but I would love to get my hands on an old Red Line / Pro-Line 2 .

I had a Diamond Back Mike Dominguez in the 80s....more freestyle than BMX though.

I am with Ken 70s 80s was jumping out of planes and dirt bike riding
Nice...With the Military? Ken and I jumped out of planes for the same unit...although it was 20 years apart!!!

-Joey

Had a nickle plated Roger DeCoster BMX ( different hole than the Mongoose in the head tube gussets). heavy gauge spoke rim in the front and the good mag in the back. Great basher in its day

Had a nickle plated Roger DeCoster BMX ( different hole than the Mongoose in the head tube gussets). heavy gauge spoke rim in the front and the good mag in the back. Great basher in its day
Metal garbage cans didnt stand a chance
default_laugh.png

i rode bmxfor three years in my early years...lol...i rode a hutch that was handed down from my umcle to me and raceds it for a year....then i discovered the redline 340 ...my uncle bought me that bike and i wotked my butt off that summer doing cocrete work with him...what a awsome bike that was...much lighter then my old hutch was still jave both hanging in the garage with a couple number ones next to it.....licon way pack was my fave track and they have now taken it down from the park....that was my fav track to race....didnt care much for the cedat vally track witch is still around....take my rc truvks there once in awhile:):):)

o anyone remember the move RAD....i do great movie when i was a kid raceing bmx..

No bmx circuit racing but in our neighborhood, jumping dumpsters was the thing. I set the local record of jumping 3 dumpsters with my little sisters Schwin 20 with 3 speed . Tried to jump a 4th when i was 13 and it ended like Evil Kanevil in Vegas...Clipped the last one and tumbled for 20 yards. Several stitches,broken bike, and my pissed off dad made me realize I should retire fro jumping and stick to football and baseball.

Andy,

Raced for a bit. I had a Mongoose we bought from a family friend that had gotten us into racing. I saw a couple guys doing flatland freestyle and I was hooked. Completely retooled the bike for freestyle over time. TuffWheel II's, DK stem, GT handlebars, Pot's Mod front brakes and Gyro Rear Brakes. Then, swapped it all over to a Haro Master frame and upgraded to super high-end chrome rimmed 48 spoke wheels. It was a sweet ride.

I rode for a local bike shop for several years. It was a blast. We got to rub elbows with the cream of the crop of the day. The Haro Freestyle Team hung out with us at the shop all evening after doing a show while on tour. They had a day or so to play with, so we ended up street thrashing all over town all night long. Ron Wilkerson, Brian Blyther, Dennis McCoy, Rick Moliterno (sp?), Joe Johnson, and one other I can't recall the name. It was NUTS. I can tell you that Ron Wilkerson had absolutely ZERO sense of self-preservation. None.

We also had a kid by the name of Danny Meng on our local team who went on to become the #1 flatland pro in the country for about two years. He was unbelieveable. He'd see someone do something, and be doing it within twenty minutes.

Good times.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Model Machine And Precision LLC

Andy,

Video Of Danny Meng.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r7IwZPkDFM

Matt Hoffman was the other rider. How I couldn't bring that to mind, I'll never know.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Good stuff Brad-

Yeah as time went on after my stint , those guys starting doing some unreal stuff. I also worked in a shop starting at 11 years old. First race I ever ran was on the 3 time State Champs bike - no pressure at all- he was like 6-6 and Im all of 5-5 - I told him not to change his setup for me , funny to watch to say the least. Ended up 2nd in 12 Novice though and that Monday I had my own bike
default_laugh.png
Many good times with my Dad traveling and racing, hanging out in the shop. They asked me to stop bringing trophies back to the shop to display after about 200 in the front window,

it sold em a ton of bikes tho
default_wink.png
I will say they gave out some awesome trophies back in the day- I had a few from Nationals and big Regional that where bigger than me. The Redline belt buckles are some I still wish I had. To run in the big show , you had to place top 3 in a regional qualifier- our region was the entire Southeast at the time, the factory boys all came out from Cali and I actually beat the Factory Redline hotshoe in my class , granted it was my home track
default_wink.png

Andy,

Yup, I remember Stu and "The Judge", as well as "Pistol Pete" Loncarevich. He was know for almost being over the gate before most others saw it drop, and wore pink before pink was cool. Definitely one of the fastest human beings on 20" wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_S2pnAayng

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Andy,

Yup, I remember Stu and "The Judge", as well as "Pistol Pete" Loncarevich. He was know for almost being over the gate before most others saw it drop, and wore pink before pink was cool. Definitely one of the fastest human beings on 20" wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_S2pnAayng

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Brad , I had all but forgotten about Loncarevich - an animal on the gate.....

Did a little searching around for some of the other hotshoe locals with no luck, sure would like to catch up with a few of those guys. Good times for sure. I did manage to find a couple Pro-Line II Redlines still alive- and man are they proud of em.
default_ohmy.png

Do you remember Z-Rims ??

Latest posts

Back