off topic

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was growing up in a small town in the late 50's and 60's, I can remember shovelling snow out of sidewalks for $2.00 and driveways for $5.00. My brother and I could make $25- $30 on a given day. Nothing better than spending a snow day off from school, shovel snow til about one or two in the afternoon, then take the old sleds and coasters up some hill for some incredibly fast and (healthy) terror inducing runs to the bottom. We'd get so dam tired we could barely drag the sleds home, eat supper and crash into bed. Now THAT was some fun. We had a black and white TV until I was in High School. My dad believed that it was good enough as long as it still worked. Odd how it suddenly went on the fritz about May 1st and miraculously became operable again about the time school started. I never knew about summer re-runs until college days.

At one time I acquired a bicycle frame with a 2 hp B&S engine about the same time as I got hold of a 8 hp twin cylinder two-man chainsaw engine that ran like a top. I tried for two summers to find a way to put that twin on the minibike, but never managed. It would have been a contender! (for what, exactly, I'm not too sure). About that time I found two new interests, cars, and girls, not necessarily in that order, but they were complementary. My first car was a $25.00, '49 Chrysler Windsor 6-cylinder sedan, that had three cylinders full of water from a blownhead gasket. It took some work, but I drive it for two years in high school. Those were the days.

A man and a friend are playing golf one day. One of the guys is about

to chip onto the green when he sees a long funeral procession on the

road next to the course. He stops in mid-swing, takes off his golf cap,

closes his eyes, and bows down in prayer.

His friend says: "Wow! That is the most thoughtful and touching thing I

have ever seen. You are truly a kind man."

The other man then replies: "Yeah, well, we were married 35 years."

Hey, I had a Honda 70! Mine was an actual clutched version, not the "automatic" version my cousin had.

Seriously (not),

A large Thruway overpass was behind my house and in the winters we could climb to the top of the hill with our sleds, shoot down my back yard, turn down my Dad's workshop driveway, down across the street, over the steel-wood planked bridge (you know the rusty kind then) and half way up the next road, **** near a quarter mile ride. Funny thing, we never had a lookout for cars or snowplows.

And here's one for free: remember when you would get caught by the local Sheriff drinking beer on some deserted road somewhere and the worst they would do was take your beer?

sniff sob. ahhh the past ......

i used to cut lawn for a few dollars to buy petrol for my mini bike - a bombadier some sort of italian mini bike that we had to make every part for , you know rings springs etc etc .... it was a hoot. although sadly the padocks and hills i used to ride are now suburbs and expressways ....

another reason i moved to the country... bringing back my youth !!!

i now have many little toys and a creek for my kids to play in with cannoes and home made rafts - im hoping to keep my kids away from console games for as long as possible

Jason :D

bring back the past !

:lol:

"And here's one for free: remember when you would get caught by the local Sheriff drinking beer on some deserted road somewhere and the worst they would do was take your beer?"

Or worse yet they made you pop each one open & pour it out one at a time. :(

Back