off topic

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigtmare

People over 30 should be dead. Here's why ....................

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were

kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even earlier probably

shouldn't have survived.

And here is why!

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles , doors or cabinets, ...

and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets.

(Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.)

As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it,

but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode

down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes..

After running into the bushes a few times , we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day , as long as we were

back when the street lights came on .

No one was able to reach us all day.

NO CELL PHONES!!!!!

Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at

all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound,

personal cell phones, personal computers , or Internet chat rooms .

We had friends! We went outside and found

them. We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt .

We fell out of trees , got cut’s and broken bones and

teeth , and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

They were accidents. No one was to blame but us.

Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned

to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and

ate worms , and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out

very many eyes , nor did the worms live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door , or

rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who

didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and

were held back to repeat the same grade

Horrors!

Tests were not adjusted for any reason. Our actions were our own.

Consequences were expected . The idea of a parent bailing us out if we

broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

These generation’s mentioned above have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem

solvers and inventors, ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of

innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how

to deal with it all. And you're one of them! Congratulations!

If you would like to pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as kids,

before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good !!!!! Please

Feel free to do so.

Well it Definetly sounded like my Boyhood and to think I'm still in the "Hood" with all my own Teeth :lol:

Even though I was born is 65" this brings back a lot of memories. Although I had a few store bought toys, the ones that brought me the most pleasure where the ones that I made or repaired to usable condition. Although there has always been a few "concerned citisens", I think this whole "YOUR GONNA DIE!!!" thing started some time in the early 80's.

While I was reading I thought about an old Briggs and Stratten engine that my dad gave me. I suppose I was about 8 or so. It was about 2 or 3 horse power. Anyway, I figured if I could make it work I could put it on something. After dissassembling cleaning and reassembling it I bolted it to a board and got it started. It didn't run very well but it ran. Some time before this I had found an old push mower deck in the dump and dragged that home. I would sit on it and got down a hill, "summer sledding". Using a hand drill, some bolts and a pulley from the junk bucket, I bolted a v-belt pulley to one of the wheels and put another pulley on the engine. I would sit down backwards on the push mower deck, with my feet dragging behind, and holding the running engine in my lap with one hand I would slip a drive belt over the pulleys with the other hand. When I was ready to go I wrapped my arms around the engine and pulled the belt tight and down the road I went. After a few belt burns and electrocutions from the open ignition I'd had enough. I don't think I got going faster than 10mph before letting go, but that was entertainment. I think my aunt has a photo somewhere of me on the thing. A year or so later my dad taught me how to arc weld, then we had some fun.

J Solinger said:
Even though I was born is 65" this brings back a lot of memories. Although I had a few store bought toys, the ones that brought me the most pleasure where the ones that I made or repaired to usable condition. Although there has always been a few "concerned citisens", I think this whole "YOUR GONNA DIE!!!" thing started some time in the early 80's.
While I was reading I thought about an old Briggs and Stratten engine that my dad gave me. I suppose I was about 8 or so. It was about 2 or 3 horse power. Anyway, I figured if I could make it work I could put it on something. After dissassembling cleaning and reassembling it I bolted it to a board and got it started. It didn't run very well but it ran. Some time before this I had found an old push mower deck in the dump and dragged that home. I would sit on it and got down a hill, "summer sledding". Using a hand drill, some bolts and a pulley from the junk bucket, I bolted a v-belt pulley to one of the wheels and put another pulley on the engine. I would sit down backwards on the push mower deck, with my feet dragging behind, and holding the running engine in my lap with one hand I would slip a drive belt over the pulleys with the other hand. When I was ready to go I wrapped my arms around the engine and pulled the belt tight and down the road I went. After a few belt burns and electrocutions from the open ignition I'd had enough. I don't think I got going faster than 10mph before letting go, but that was entertainment. I think my aunt has a photo somewhere of me on the thing. A year or so later my dad taught me how to arc weld, then we had some fun.

100699[/snapback]

I laughed so hard I have tears picturing that.!!

Thanks for the recollection!

Scott

ALL said is true but do not think that PROGRESS is be alived after all of that.

Humanity has survived for centuries without medice ,drugs or thecnology.

We are still alive because OUR FATHER blesses us everyday!

Gill

Nick that was great!! Makes me appreciate how cool it was growing up with not much more than your imagination & creativity to get you by. Boy we had fun! :D

Mike G said:
Rupp mini bikes!
100768[/snapback]

The Cool kids had Honda 70's. I wasn't one of them. :(

....and we had Chemistry sets with all types of Toxic materials included. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughs Rupps where great. One of the neighbor kids had one. He would give us rides, what a riot with 3 kids on.

Don Ferrette said:
AndyBrown said:
Mike G said:
Rupp mini bikes!
100768[/snapback]

The Cool kids had Honda 70's. I wasn't on of them. :(

100928[/snapback]

That would be the well off kids actually. Those Honda 70's were expensive. :blink:

100930[/snapback]

YEP! That's why I wasn't one of them. :huh:

.......and we drank Gallons of Whole milk.......and coke bottles were worth 2 cents and you only needed to find 9 of them to buy another Coke....which could usually be done during the 2 mile walk to the store. At least where I lived. :)

Pull tabs on Coke cans!

Banana seats and Sissy bars on bikes!

Paper routes and Lawn mowing were "Kids jobs"

moron said:
Completely off topic.Anybody interested in their name in Taliban???

Try this:

http://medlem.spray.se/lijnus/taliban.html

Regards. " Mustafa Jihad"

101043[/snapback]

It gave me the same name. But if you enter S#!t Head it gives you "Huymada Farti Noys" So I guess all the Taliban answer to Huymada. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AndyBrown said:
Don Ferrette said:
AndyBrown said:
Mike G said:
Rupp mini bikes!
100768[/snapback]

The Cool kids had Honda 70's. I wasn't on of them. :(

100928[/snapback]

That would be the well off kids actually. Those Honda 70's were expensive. :blink:

100930[/snapback]

YEP! That's why I wasn't one of them. :huh:

100932[/snapback]

My favorite bike was my first. A Honda MR 50. As soon as I hit it's weight limit of 80 pounds, I got a CR 80 and began racing motocross at 11 years old. I also had a Yamaha race kart, a Redline Microline BMX bike and a Dogtown skateboard.

Growing up on a cattle ranch allowed me room to use all these toys. Me and my friends built a half pipe in my fathers wood shop but keeping the cow crap off of it was a problem so we put up a electric fence around it. Not your typical cattle ranch. My friends added the word speed to its name so it became known as the K-BAR Speed Ranch. Now you know what the decals on E.J.'s tunnel refer to.

I realize how fortunate I was to grow up with such neat toys but I sure don't regret it.

Joe,

I am very fortunate also. We had all the toys you could ask for: real boats,

motorcycles,go carts,sailboats,golf carts,etc. We have a summer ranch on

Torch Lake and we still have all the toys available. We just got a new off-road

go cart yesterday,it was a lot of fun playing with my nieces and nephews at the

lake. I may go back today and get the cart really dialed in. I will admit it, I'm

Spoiled, :D :D :D But their is nothing wrong with being spoiled, as long as you

work for it and Appreciate it all.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Back