aluminum tube pulled out of jae .12 sponson Help please

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camaroboy383

went out the other day and had a great day of runnin the trusty jae .12....... well i had noticed a sponson was sitting funny so upon inspection i had noticed the left sponson had the front aluminum tube pulled out... they were epoxied into the sponsons when it was built...

well now that the hull is painted,,,what is the best way to go about repairing this without comprimising the paint????????

im looking for somthing permanent here,,, not a band aid... but,,,but,,,any and all suggestions welcomed... id hate to have to ruin the perdy paint......lol

thanks in advance for your replys,,

Alden

Last edited by a moderator:
AC,

Did the tube come out clean or is it still partially stuck in there? If it's the latter, try heating the tube with a soldering iron to soften the epoxy, then while it's still hot pull the tube out.

TD

When you put the tube back in. Put your tube back inplace in the sponson & your glue inside of the tube & use a wooden dowel to push all of the glue into the sponson. if you can leave the wooden dowel in the sponson tube.

thank you guys for the reply,,,the tube had started to work its way out...its still good and tight in the hole so the heat trick is proly what im gonna have to use to remove it completely...i honestly dont know if the tubes were scratched before they were put in...i received the hull new,,but built...

ac

i know you do...its all over this box you sent me,,,at least we know the box is good for a 200mph crash from the post....lol..... you just want me to use tspe so urs is faster......lol

I've repaired a few sponsons and they are now solid as a rock. You need to know how deep the boom goes in and set it there.

What I do is put down a piece of green tape on either the top or bottom of the sponson. Then drill a 0.110 hole through the skin, the foam, the boom and then into the foam on the other side of the boom. Watch you don't go through the other side unless you intend to. Make sure you hit the center if the boom. I drill a pilot hole using a small Dremal carbide cutter so the drill doesn't wander if you don't hit the center of the boom dead on. Then follow it up with a regular twist drill.

I then get an insulin syringe and fill it with West Systems slow epoxy and a very large & long needle for it. I wet the walls of the hole thoroughly with the needle. Next wet down a bamboo barbeque skewer and insert into the hole. Wipe off extra epoxy, let it set up trim the skewer and sand it flush. You will never pull the boom out now and all you need to deal with is a small 0.110" area to sand. And then, you all know what decals are for don't you.

Wally

When using alum tubes I Knurl the tube and clean it good and glue it in the sponson never had one to come out.

Dave Roach

Alden, I have been cutting some 6061 aluminum stock for a buddies rigger. 1/4 inch, turned down on the one end to whatever size the ID of the boom tube is. Leaving the other end at .250. Then taking a parting tool, and cutting .060 deep slots in the tube every 3/8 or so. This way, it fills with epoxy, and creates a great bond into the sponson itself. Only problem is, if doing it this way the boom tube wont go into the sponson itself, but rather stop at the edge.

RP, they are using the brass tube in the sponson over the 5/16ths carbon, per Jae technique..... basically it could be done with 5/16ths ID stock and bigger inserts for the tubes into the pins..... weight and whatever, it could be done..... although, I slot my brass on my 20 boat like a strut bushing pre install.... some guys are pinning before the top sheet (last, anyway), gets glued on........ i've seen inherent problems with the brass pulling out around, hence the 45 rodney pin scenario... ( thanks lathe o' matic)....... I actually saw, this weekend a custom machined stop on the outside sponson side, I deemed pretty trick..... maybe.... i've reparied my 45 in short order after problems with the new build, and am getting to be proficient at pinning things....... sanding and relying on brittle epoxy to hold the sponson on in a high G turn gets a little nerve wracking...... everybodies different..... and mousetraps abound..... good testing.... and thanks Rod. Mike

I made a hole on top of the sponson during the building process and filled it with epoxy before top sheeting. Here is a picture.

sponson2.jpg

again i thank you for your reply's..... mike my tube is actually aluminum,,, not sure why as i didnt build the boat.......it looks exactly like craigs picture above,,, but like i had said the tube is actually aliuminum,,,and i have no holes drilled in mine,,, i have boom clamps i made that go just at the end of the aluminum tube and clamps it to the carbon rod

thanks,,agian boys

alden

again i thank you for your reply's..... mike my tube is actually aluminum,,, not sure why as i didnt build the boat.......it looks exactly like craigs picture above,,, but like i had said the tube is actually aliuminum,,,and i have no holes drilled in mine,,, i have boom clamps i made that go just at the end of the aluminum tube and clamps it to the carbon rod

thanks,,agian boys

alden
I'm pretty sure the first JAE .12 kits included aluminum tubes and then they switched to brass so that it would be a little stronger.

The picture above is a .21 sponson.

i ended up doing what rodney said,,, i tossed the piece in the lathe,,, cut some shallow slots (4 of them) in the tube o.d..... then i took a tooth pick and opened up the hole in the foam a hair to allow a good coat of epoxy to surround the aluminum tube... oh and i gouged up the o.d of the tube with a very course file...hope it works out.... we will see.....

ac

bin down this road with the blue foam. Make some wood blocks and epoxy them in place using the sides of the sponson as support then drill a hole in it to put the tubes in. dose not matter how much epoxy you use in the foam it will still break lose.

David

Back