Alumaweld...Modern Miracle?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyin Rat Sass

Saturday I discovered (stumbled upon) Alumaweld and it seems like my life will never be the same again. its easy to use,produces clean welds,and all it takes is a little map gas.Joining aluminium has allways been difficult or expensive,now when no one is looking i'm fabricating aliminium parts at my desk.Is this stuff as good as it seems?if so why was i not informed of its existance?

How does that saying go? If it seems to good to be true than it must be. The welds don't hold up to vibration and if you haven't notice boats tend to vibrate a bit. :D

Mike

Hmmmm...I've never had a problem with it. I've been using it for a couple of years on all kinds of stuff.

I've known a few US1 winners to use it to make custom pipes without any problems. If it will hold a pipe together, it must be strong enough.

ALUMIWELD1.jpg

Well the bonds look good and it doesn't seem too brittle, any other opinions or experience?

Remember, less is more (don't gob it on...). Alumaweld doesn't flow like solder. Make sure the surfaces being joined are clean. I use a stainless wire brush on a Dremel. If its not stainless, it just turns the aluminum black. Heat the metal and rub the Alumaweld stick firmly along the joint. It will want to pile up, but when you think you have a good bond, you can scrape the excess off with a screwdriver before it cools (hardens).

Where might one buy this?

I have seen something like this at a fleamarket, dont know if its the same stuff or not, the guy was OUT of it, or i would of bought some.

but he alumwelded 2 pop cans tougher.

NT

The stuff (24" rods) I found was at Harbor Freight."Alumiweld"

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a CMB .21 pipe. The guy drilled 5-6 extra holes and did a crappy job J.B. welding them. Can this stuff be used in the same manner? It also had a bunch of dents so I filled it with water and frooze it in order to pop out the dents. The J.B. weld turned a grayer cooler than normal so I was gonna remove it and reseal the holes any how. Figuered maybe I'd try this stuff instead.

Also, can it be effectively recoated the black? I'd really like to keep that coating on since it effectively keeps the heat.

No problem! Just Practice for 5 minuites first. the weld shown above was my very first try.if you can solder then you have simulated experience.its an aluminium alloy recoating should be just the same as the rest of the pipe.

Latest posts

Back