After some info on this engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradSpencer

I'm relatively new to RC boats. Wanting to put together a nice sport boat, and maybe participate in the local club meets down the track.

Just got this engine from an estate sale. Powerhead has never been fired, lawless in good condition.

Nelson? Size?

Anyone have any general info or advice regarding this powerhead?

The the K&B carb needs modifying to fit flush into the engine - any suggestions or pics on the best to mod the carb neck?

I am familiar with K&B's, should I just stick with K&B powerhead or give this one a go?

Looks like I need the support/post for the cavitation plate on the Lawless, a steering arm, and a good quality engine mount.

Any input appreciated.

IMG_2344.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2345.JPG

Brad

I don't post to often, but religiously read the new posts on the forum everyday. Great info for a newbie:)

that is a .45 nelson not sure if its the new one or the old one

as for the mount get a hijack mount and fot lawless parts contact fred a lawless

cheers

also i just missed out on this motor my computer locked up and when it came good it was over haha

cheers

Thanks for info Ian.

I have a hi-jack. I'll give it a go. Wasn't sure if setback might have been to much.

Brad

Yep, its the original version of the Nelson. Good motors for sure, but you got to keep them maintained/tight. Get the carb straightened out, and give it a whirl. Will run circles around most engines on the pond when in the right hands.

~James

Thankyou James,

Looking forward to getting it wet, probably be in a few weeks.

After searching the posts here and on closer inspection, I noticed the glow plug is different to the norm.

Are these plugs still available? Or, does anyone make a sleeve/adapter for a standard plug to fit(HP 7300)?

Brad

Nelson has their own glow plugs. I am sure someone has made a new head button to fit a standard plug, but not sure who. I know John Otto at Technology Hobbies carries the plugs for the Nelson.

~James

It is probably the 45, but they also make a 47 sleeve and piston to fit that block. I have one that I run when I want to set up to the next motor class size.

Mike

James - Thankyou, I'll get onto Tech hobbies for some spares.

Mike - Just quickly calculated the volume of the piston stroke - yep .45

Brad

Thankyou Mic, I better get a few of these for spares.

I've got about 2 gallons of 50% I will use(about 2 months old - been stored away from sunlight in a cool place).

Any idea what squish bad should be? I want to run it pretty conservatively.

Brad

Thankyou Mic, I better get a few of these for spares.

I've got about 2 gallons of 50% I will use(about 2 months old - been stored away from sunlight in a cool place).

Any idea what squish bad should be? I want to run it pretty conservatively.

Brad
Conservative is long pipe lenght and small carbs. Head clearance should be.010-.012. I know a few to go down to .009 but thats tight. At .015 and above we lost low end torque which this engine doesn't have enough of. Seal the carb neck and PTO with RTV.

Mic

Back