A Couple Questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCHedOff

I'm not satisfied with the antenna tube fastening I've been using, & the on/offswitch. I dont remember the brand name of the antenna tube fastening I've used, but it is is basically a metal nut threaded onto an alumimun fixture the the hollow plastic tube inserts into. The on/off reciever switch has been a cheap Dubro unit the consist of a platic nut threaded onto a plastic rod that has a metal rod sliding thru- up for off and down for on.

For the antenna tube, why cant I use just some balsa scrap on the inside?

I'm looking for a more water proof solution.

What suggestions do you have??

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd, I'm not sure what your refering to here? Balsa scrap on the inside? I'm not sure what the brand name is for the antennea either, but the top of the package is white w/red & black lettering. The antennea has a little red cap on it. It's the best mount I know of on the market - besides the metal-wire whip kind. And, as far as the the Du-bro on/off switch, this is what I use. This is what basically everyone in the Club uses. If your having water issues - try checking around your other openings like: Drive shaft tube/Throttle & turning openings. Especially check the transom for cracks.

Other than that, the way you tape your lid on. You could always go the route of what Dick Dalhiemer uses for his on/off switch. 2 electrical posts w/swing arm clasp that gets tightened by 2 thumb-nuts. Lance, had all kinds of water going into his Hydro, and I fixed this via putting some Polyester/Epoxy resin up the ski towards the Drive shaft. Sometimes, the water degrades the resin where the tub & shaft meet.. It needs to be re-sealed..

Sure, you can glue a square piece of balsa to the inside of the radio box cover, drill a hole the same size as the anttena mast through the balsa block and radio box cover. CA the antenna mast in place, and using a tooth pick, run a small amount of clear silicone sealent around the mast to make sure its water tight. The Dubro quick switch mounts work great for me. I sand the plastic area of the mount that sets up against the surface that you are going to mount it to. (radio box lid, or bulk head) Assemble the mount with your switch, and make sure it works properly. Now just unscrew the nut that the metal rod runs through, and put some blue Permatex form a gasket on the flat part of the mount that you sanded, and some more Permatex to the underside of the plastic nut. Tighten the nut carefully. Do not squeese out all the sealent. Richard D

Sure, you can glue a square piece of balsa to the inside of the radio box cover, drill a hole the same size as the anttena mast through the balsa block and radio box cover. CA the antenna mast in place, and using a tooth pick, run a small amount of clear silicone sealent around the mast to make sure its water tight. The Dubro quick switch mounts work great for me. I sand the plastic area of the mount that sets up against the surface that you are going to mount it to. (radio box lid, or bulk head) Assemble the mount with your switch, and make sure it works properly. Now just unscrew the nut that the metal rod runs through, and put some blue Permatex form a gasket on the flat part of the mount that you sanded, and some more Permatex to the underside of the plastic nut. Tighten the nut carefully. Do not squeese out all the sealent. Richard D
Todd, are you using the 3M radio box tape? If not, i recommend you get some. Its the best. Richard D

I have never understood why anyone would feel the need to use a antenna mount.

I drill a hole the same size as the tube. Glue a 1/4 inch block over this hole from the inside. Drill through this block. Sand 3/8 inch on one end of your tube with 60-100 grit. Fit the tube in the hole til it fits loosely. Coat the hole with a tooth pick and the sanded end of your tube with 30 minute epoxy. When you install the tube, you only want enough epoxy to leave a small fillet around the tube. Clean and simple.

If you're going through a finished surface, as apposed to raw wood, also sand just enough surface for the epoxy fillet around the tube to bond to.

Nub

The 30 minute epoxy takes time to cure. this gives you alittle time to tweek the tube so it is straight. I usualy have something to hold the tube still until the glue sets completely.

Nub

I use small rubber grommets. Just drill a hole in the cover slightly smaller than needed to hold the grommet in the cover. Insert the grommet in the cover. Scuff the tube and push it into the grommet. Add a couple drops of fast CA and you have a waterproof antennae mount.

Mike

I'm not satisfied with the antenna tube fastening I've been using, & the on/offswitch. I dont remember the brand name of the antenna tube fastening I've used, but it is is basically a metal nut threaded onto an alumimun fixture the the hollow plastic tube inserts into. The on/off reciever switch has been a cheap Dubro unit the consist of a platic nut threaded onto a plastic rod that has a metal rod sliding thru- up for off and down for on.

For the antenna tube, why cant I use just some balsa scrap on the inside?

I'm looking for a more water proof solution.

What suggestions do you have??

Thanks in advance!
I just bought a couple very nice waterproof switches on e-bay from a guy in Malta-made especially for marine use with a rubber boot over the toggle switch. Another thing to look at would be your pushrod seals- I'm kinda hooked on the ones Steve Wood sells. And the 3M tape is the only way to go.

Glenn

Latest posts

Back