n00b questions......

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceHartmann

Supporting Member
Hey guys...I'm n00b getting back into boats after a ten year haitus. Been around R/C planes and helis for 30 years plus.

I've got a Vision hull coming from Shawn Junker & bought a new O.S. 21 outboard. I've also got a couple props coming from Mark Shouland that he recommended.

At the risk of starting a "which is the best motor oil" thread...I'd like to get some opionions....I've searched the forum but some of the conversations are years old..

First off, I plan on running at least a 7.3v Lipo with a Castle Regulator adjusted to 6.0v (I had already bought a bunch of these to replace the NiMh and Nicad batteries in my aircraft), ..what's the recommended steering servo? Digital, CorelessBB, Metal shaft? Does it matter in a .21 size boat?

Steering gear, back in the day I used to use Sullivan cables with fuel tube wipers...I see some folks are opting for rigid wire with wheel collars...I'm leaning for the cable; I'm comfortable will soldering them and pull testing...thoughts?

Initial engine mounting height...what's the rule of thumb..I know it will be a fine tuning process, but I'd prefer one set of transom mounting holes...

Cowl mounting...what are the popular options that are clean and sanitary?

Go easy on me guys...

Thanks...

I use a futaba s3305 for steering and s3102 for throttle. I like to use cables for steering. I know a lot of racers like push rods, but cables work for me. My os on my Vision is 1/4 in above the transom I can check the height to the bullet if you like. His cowl will be mounted for you and it works fine.

I use a futaba s3305 for steering and s3102 for throttle. I like to use cables for steering. I know a lot of racers like push rods, but cables work for me. My os on my Vision is 1/4 in above the transom I can check the height to the bullet if you like. His cowl will be mounted for you and it works fine.
Thanks Butch...are you referring to the bottom of the mount from the bottom of the transom?

Butch, How old is your Vision (early ones had a lower transom than newer ones)? Which way is your OS hinge plate moun to motor? Just need to clarify so Bruce has less troubles
default_smile.png

I am changing to the 7954SH servos for steering now..excellent servo, alot of money ($99usd) but well worth it.

EDIT: Plus HS85 for throttle and 3rd channel

Last edited by a moderator:
Bruce,

I would drill out the holes on the boat and put a threaded brass insert in the four holes, then get some thumb screws preferably aluminum ones. The screws Shawn give u work but you need a screw driver to get the cowl off. at least for me the thumb screws screw off with just your fingers.

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

This is the way I mount my cowls. Very clean and light. They are called Well Nuts and you just drill a hole same size as the well nut, use a little CA to seal them to keep the water out. You can get them in several sizes in both length and thread. I use 6/32 and use nylon thumb screws. As you tighten them they expand to hold the cowl. You don't have to have a plywood backing or anything to support these either. You can find these at Ace Hardware.

7400442_A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My OS mount is not above the transom, and I have more than enough adjustment up and down for either a sport engine or a piped one. My Vision is about 3 years old.

I also used threaded brass inserts like shown in Beau's photo, but use button head screws to attach the cowl.

Alrighty...I picked up the hull at the the Tampa one Day race today. For the sake of any other n00b's who search in the future, I'll explain what Shawn told me for engine mounting height.

On a level plane, the propshaft should be about 3-5mm above the end of the sponsons; Once I get it jigged up I'll post a picture.

I've also got the TW graphics guy going on a wrap. should be good.

http://www.teamwanker.com/

Latest posts

Back