'80 Budweiser Humpback Build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
Well, Here is the next installment of my 1/8th scale builds. The '80 Miss Budweiser Humpback. With this kit, I worked up the framing kit, but also did a trick ladder frame hatch that is cut to fit the framing perfectly, and it comes with a pretty neat layered ply nosing. This nosing setup seems to be much easier than trying to cut from solid hardwood, and lighter. Here are some pics and info on the build so far. I only worked on this kit for about 6 hours this weekend, so the progress was really good! Mike

Framing with Battens installed:

DSCF6005.jpg

Framing with ladder frame hatch in place, and removed to show fitment:

DSCF6010.jpg

DSCF6012.jpg

Next, you will see how the nose is built. First, you CA all but the part label "top airbrake" and the very bottom layer named "8". Just stack the layers, "1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7. You can then look at the finished shape which is the template with the lines. Then the actual part that is glued to the side plate. You will notice the actual side plate is missing the "kick up" for the "top air brake". This is so the top airbrake can be installed after you shape the main bulk:

DSCF6014.jpg

DSCF6016.jpg

Once you have that main bulk of wood sanded to shape, then you will take the "#8" layer, and put an angle on one edge. This part makes the "kick down" on the underside, then glue in place, and sand flush at the rear:

DSCF6017.jpg

DSCF6018.jpg

After that, glue on the "top airbrake", and feather in the frontal curvature, then drill out some of the mass to reduce weight, and install!

DSCF6021.jpg

DSCF6023.jpg

I found some pictures of the real boat, and noticed the cowling was not shaped quite right in the front. It was to nose high, so I cut open and modified the cowling to look more like the real boat. This is where I had to stop for the day. Hope you enjoyed the pics so far, Mike

DSCF6025.jpg

DSCF6024.jpg

DSCF6026.jpg

In case you have never seen the boat, it is one awesome hull!!!!

80budweiser01.jpg

Looks great, Mike. I always liked the 1987 Frank Kenney Toyota version of that hull. Turbocharged Griffon. Actually THREE turbochargers. They figured it was about 4,000 horsepower! It never really worked out too well but you have to love the attempt.

Rick

Attachments

• 87 Frank Kenney Toyota on Trailer.JPG
    87 Frank Kenney Toyota on Trailer.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 0
WOW! The frame up looks so PERFECT that its almost a shame to have to skin her!....guess it wouldnt float to well if you didnt though!! :lol: :lol: Absolutly BEAUTIFUL!

Those kits your putting together are really nice.I need to rethink what im going to build over the winter.

Thanks everyone. The kit really is pretty great fitment. I like that Toyota boat. The cowling looks cool cut off like that! Mike

Hi Mike

Can you check your pms I've sent you a couple in the last couple of days. We're itching to get going on our Obertos here in NZ, so just wondering when you'll be doing your next cutting order?

Cheers

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike did you ever finish up this Hull??

Also does anyone know how many “real” boats like this did they have? was there only the one? reason I ask is when it crashed and killed Dean is that the one that was made into the Frank Kenny or was there more than one and it was scrapped and another one was sold to become the Frank Kenny. Or did the Frank Kenny start life as a new hull from the same builder?

Dean destroyed them both, the second taking his life(1982). The first hull (7912) was destroyed and non repairable in a record run, the second, (8012) was built in record fashion and was one of the winning hulls in unlimited history, later to become the U-5 Frank Kenney, Pietros Pizza, Miss Northwest Tank Service. Dave Culley was the master mind to getting the 2400 CI engines to run, later he tried triple turbo chargers when the hull went to U-5. If you ever heard those engines run, a remarkable sound of power like I never heard all by its self. Other drivers: Jim Kropfeld, Ron Armstrong.

There's a pretty detailed history of the 8012 hull, if I can find it, I'll post it. Look on the HARM site as it was being restored to perfection.

Brent, I never did finish this hull. A friend of mine actually won it in a kit giveaway I did at one of our clubs invitational races. He had his choice of kits, and he chose that one! lol

Nice pics Joe!

Mike

Joe Mike thanks for the history and the pictures. Some of the best parts of dealing and running scale boats is researching the history. Like I did not know this hull was also run with a cockpit and under other names besides Frank Kenny.

Thanks again..

Back