42" Tunnel Hull Buildup- NOW FINISHED!!!! NEW PICS!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good Mike, now lets see some finished product pictures!
~James
I will try to get them up tonight..I had company from out of town last night, and ran out of time! Got the radio box knocked out finally tho! I need to start deciding on a color soon!

a couple things. i have been using a colorant for the epoxy. the part comes out ready to use, very glossy. you have to use pva. i spray it on, 2 or 3 coats. it washes off with water. when you're ready to take the part out of the mold, use an air hose. i make sure all the edges are loose then pick up on one end and place the air hose close to the gap, and blow. hang on to the part as it can go clear across the room. pop. done

New Pics!

DSCF1201Medium.jpg

DSCF1202Medium.jpg

Radio box construction. The camera film case is for quick and sealed access the on/ off switch. I have seen it on other boats and think it is a lot better design than the norm!

DSCF1203Medium.jpg

DSCF1204Medium.jpg

DSCF1209Medium.jpg

DSCF1212Medium.jpg

DSCF1213Medium.jpg

DSCF1205Medium.jpg

Here is the cowling front latch..as you see, there is a tongue on the cowling, and a slot on the boat, and there is also a secondary lock where it slides together..

DSCF1206Medium.jpg

DSCF1207Medium.jpg

DSCF1208Medium.jpg

DSCF1210Medium.jpg

Some completed bottom pics:

DSCF1214Medium.jpg

DSCF1215Medium.jpg

MAS Epoxy systems.. I really like what they have going on! Great, easy, THIN system!

DSCF1211Medium.jpg

Got the engine mounted last night, 11cc K&B, Hopper pipe and header, McCoy Crank, all new!

Picture032Large.jpg

Picture034Large.jpg

Pics of the 1/4 Scale DPI w/ 11cc engine..Just thought they looked cool

Picture029Large.jpg

Picture023Large.jpg

Very cool project... Looks like it's coming along...

If you don't mind telling... what is the red filler that you've used on there? I have an older LeeCraft/Geraghty tunnel that has that same filler and I've been wondering what it was...

Thanks,

Very cool project... Looks like it's coming along...
If you don't mind telling... what is the red filler that you've used on there? I have an older LeeCraft/Geraghty tunnel that has that same filler and I've been wondering what it was...

Thanks,

Thanks, The red filler is actually MAS Microballoons blended into the MAS Epoxy I used to build the boat.

Videos of the DPI running..Sorry for the crappy quality!

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to consider making "stumble blocks" or recovery pads for the front of the tunnel. Looking really good.
JD

Jerry, Unfortunately, I have no experience with designing/ making those. Is there a formula to follow when design them? Thanks for any help! Also, were you still interested in me making a cowl for your 1/4 scale project? Please let me know, and I will try and get one made for you soon! I sure hope those "kneeler" plans come out soon from RC Boat Modeler. I am itching to make one. I believe it is my favorite boat!

You might want to consider making "stumble blocks" or recovery pads for the front of the tunnel. Looking really good.
JD

Jerry, Unfortunately, I have no experience with designing/ making those. Is there a formula to follow when design them? Thanks for any help! Also, were you still interested in me making a cowl for your 1/4 scale project? Please let me know, and I will try and get one made for you soon! I sure hope those "kneeler" plans come out soon from RC Boat Modeler. I am itching to make one. I believe it is my favorite boat!
If you look at the recovery pads shown on the JD 27 plans and just scale them up, that should work. Yes, I'm still very much interested in a cowling. The plans for the Kneeler are supposed to be available once the next issue of RC Boat Modeler is released - mid Nov. I'm told.

JD

Had some time last night, and got it primed in. Im thinking of a fine-metallic blue...

DSCF1371Large.jpg

DSCF1372Large.jpg

DSCF1370Large.jpg

Had some time this morning, and the weather was good, so I tryed to get the boat painting knocked out. This is Kandy Tangerine on Orion Silver paint! The windshield is painted Black, with a dusting of Zenith Gold. All paints House of Kolor. Enjoy!

DSCF1378Large.jpg

DSCF1384Large.jpg

DSCF1380Large.jpg

DSCF1381Large.jpg

DSCF1383Large.jpg

Everything is put back together on it, just needs fuel! It weighed in at 13lbs 8oz...My DPI 48" tunnel weighted 15lbs 9oz, so that made me very happy. If its nice this weekend, the first run will happen. I have to break in the motor, so it will not be a fun day! Once I get it dialed in, and I'm happy with it, the 42" JD Kneeler build will begin! Can't wait!

Yeah, it came in lighter! I was absolutely amazed. It was weighed on a calibrated refrigerant scale (the performance shop I work at on the side sells NOS, so they keep a good scale). Now if it would just warm up some. I don't see myself running the boat in 42 deg weather! Gives me some time to finish my kneeler project, and design a 3.5cc tunnel hull to build.

Yeah, it came in lighter! I was absolutely amazed. It was weighed on a calibrated refrigerant scale (the performance shop I work at on the side sells NOS, so they keep a good scale). Now if it would just warm up some. I don't see myself running the boat in 42 deg weather! Gives me some time to finish my kneeler project, and design a 3.5cc tunnel hull to build.
42 Degrees! thats t shirt weather! Great looking boat by the way, I'm kind of biased toward orange boats. Oh It's 20 deg here right now and the ponds have been iced up for over a week!

Larry

Latest posts

Back