2013 Northwest Scale Hydroplane Championship Results and Photos

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave- The Lauterbach is actually a kit that can be purchased from Brian Blazer at Blazer Marine. You can look them up online. I also have one of these, although mine is finished in the GP 1001 Dynomites livery. I think that Charlie modified his kit to fit the Gas Scale Class. Check with Charlie to be sure.

As for my Miss US- It's a one off custom build derived from Roger Newton plans. The bottom of the hull and Sponsons have been modified from Roger's original drawings. It's a wood hull. This hull and cowl are being used as a plug this winter and will be available soon in fiberglass. The fiberglass version will not require any modifications. The hull and cowl will be available with a hull set up sheet that will include the basics in terms hardware placement, strut depth and angle, CG for the hull, where to mount things, etc. It runs really well. The concept is that people will be able to buy this hull that is a proven winner and if they follow the basic set up instructions will be able to have a competitive boat right out of the box. Stay tuned and when it's available an announcement will be made.
fred,

thank you for detailed description of your karelsen gas scale hull. i'm very interested.

i'll try to contact charlie about his lauterbach.

dave w.

Dave- The Lauterbach is actually a kit that can be purchased from Brian Blazer at Blazer Marine. You can look them up online. I also have one of these, although mine is finished in the GP 1001 Dynomites livery. I think that Charlie modified his kit to fit the Gas Scale Class. Check with Charlie to be sure.

As for my Miss US- It's a one off custom build derived from Roger Newton plans. The bottom of the hull and Sponsons have been modified from Roger's original drawings. It's a wood hull. This hull and cowl are being used as a plug this winter and will be available soon in fiberglass. The fiberglass version will not require any modifications. The hull and cowl will be available with a hull set up sheet that will include the basics in terms hardware placement, strut depth and angle, CG for the hull, where to mount things, etc. It runs really well. The concept is that people will be able to buy this hull that is a proven winner and if they follow the basic set up instructions will be able to have a competitive boat right out of the box. Stay tuned and when it's available an announcement will be made.
fred,

thank you for detailed description of your karelsen gas scale hull. i'm very interested.

i'll try to contact charlie about his lauterbach.

dave w.
fred,

please contact me via email

[email protected]

dave w.

That sounds good on the US hull that Newton 101 plan will make many boats too. I race a Timex 101 and was thinking about a gas Timex, i will get in line for the cowl part at least and is larry k making gas scale motors?

Larry has the valve covers, and stacks for the GAS Scale merlins. I think he has the same for the Allison as well. I know for sure on the Merlin. Contact Larry K and he can clarify.

Yes, the Newton 101 makes a lot of different boats, so hope it gets more people in to Gas Scale. Another hull will also be available in Gas Scale, the Newton 108. The rear seat cowl that makes the Notre Dame, Weisfields, etc, etc will be come with the hull. That's also happening this winter. We have been testing the hull and it works really well. Again, an announcement will be made when they are available and where to purchase them. Both boats perform very well and make a lot of different boats. So hopefully it will help to grow the class.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Hi duck. I see in your photo my red Speedy was still smokin' after the chase boat hit. I can't believe how utterly destroyed it was. Never trashed one that bad before. I picked up Jack Carson's blue Speedy which is a virtual copy of my terminated boat.

Id be up for one of those 8255 gassers. Love the open area
Mike,

Stay tuned - I'm working on a deal now that will make this hull /cowl available for sell. The hull was designed and built by Mike Bontof. I have been dialing it in this season and by far this has been the fastest and best behaved Gas Scale I have owned.

DSC_4469.jpeg

DSC_4460 2.jpeg

During the build I changed the whole interior width from 5" to about 8, The engine still mounts on the 5" bearers. To strengthen and keep the weight down I made honeycomb core plywood for the bottom. Building again I would have left out the bearers and mounted the engine through the tunnel. A glass boat could have all the interior improvements, Including a removable radio box. I would not change any exterior. I did build an angle into the water cooled exhaust adapter to get the elbow away from the deck, the carb has more room because the cowl offset is to that side. The deck could be raised but I preferred keeping the C of G low. The cowl lips around the leading edge, the sparkplug boot barely clearing.

DSC00672.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mike,
I like your hull concept, especially the wide open center section with the removable, painted cowl and deck.
- How stiff is the hull?? Are you getting a lot of flex??

- Is the cowl/deck section carbon fiber or something else?? I don't see any weave in the cloth.

- How about a couple shots of the bottom of the hull?

Good to see there was a good turn out posting picture, video and information of hull availabilities in this thread.
I'm sure there are a lot of boaters interested in Gas Scale, but the most common comment I read or hear references the non-availability of cowls.

The only ones I know of are:
1. Phil Thomas' 8255 cowl
2. Jeff Snell 7474/7207 cowl
3. A Winston Eagle cowl from RC Boat Company
Thank you for all of you that took the time to post pics and video about the 2013 NW Scale Championship race. There is no substitute for good advertising.
CHEERS !!! Bob

The hull is surprisingly stiff. Built in 3 sections. Borrowing design ideas from Snell, Snake, Anderson and Knauckway, Oh and a few of my own. Mould previously pictured, the first cowl was layed up in glass, Carbon and Kevlar being I think the ideal. I will leave any pictures of the bottom to Marty, He bought the boat and cowl mould.

DSC00696.JPG

Thanks Mike. I saw the influence from the others you mentioned. I build Wood Over Foam (WOF). I built a framed Classic Thunderboat for a Friend a couple years ago, and am still having nervous twitches - Har, Har !!!

Have you run the BIG electric outboard any more?

Marty,

"I'll show you mine if you show me yours." Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

Thanks Mike. I saw the influence from the others you mentioned. I build Wood Over Foam (WOF). I built a framed Classic Thunderboat for a Friend a couple years ago, and am still having nervous twitches - Har, Har !!!

Have you run the BIG electric outboard any more?

Marty,

"I'll show you mine if you show me yours." Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

attachicon.gif
Bottom.JPG
attachicon.gif
Hull glued together.JPG

attachicon.gif
Hull finished.JPG
Bob- You know I can't show you mine - Thats where all the magic is!!!!! :mellow:

Marty

Hey Marty,

Har di Har !!! Yep, I agree. I found the pics of the cowl off Coors , and Mike's pic of the cowl mold to be quite informative. Pics of the tops appeal to some, but I consider them "Bling" - mostly just along for the ride. The bottom has a much higher functional value for me. Guess I am easier than you. I showed you my bottom, and uncovered top too. Har, Har !!!

I knew I should have had Big Al flip that sucker over and shoot pics while he was there. I hear you had him chained to the judges stand - Har, Har !!! Olde man abuse !!! I'll bleed him for trade secrets under separate cover..

Sounds like everyone had a really good time. It was good to see that so many took the time to post pics from the event. I watched the video of the 1/7 Scale Final. Don't think I could drive counter clockwise, turning right has become an autonomic response.

Do you have data on what the various Gas Scales were running for power, props and where the hulls came from. What were the numbers for the different classes.

Now that there are 1/7th Scale electrics, What happened to the smaller boats that used to race Vintage and Modern divisions under E R/C Unlimited.

Thanks to PNWTA for putting on the event for the tenth consecutive year. GREAT Job guys. CHEERS !!! Bob

The hull is surprisingly stiff. Built in 3 sections. Borrowing design ideas from Snell, Snake, Anderson and Knauckway, Oh and a few of my own. Mould previously pictured, the first cowl was layed up in glass, Carbon and Kevlar being I think the ideal. I will leave any pictures of the bottom to Marty, He bought the boat and cowl mould.

That's funny Mike!... Knauckway... it's Nachtweih... it must be a joke between you and Russ!!! You did get a 5 out of 9 letters correct, and nailed the 9 letter length, however none of your letters are in the correct position... Only letters you got correct N, A, C, W... Russ is a great designer/builder.

At least Marty only left off the 'T' at the end of your name bonoff... <_< :)

Hope you are doing well. Can you stagger the ride pads a little more to get that lead off the left side, or move the strut? Looks like a cool ride!

Just bustin' on you for fun!

Best,

DJ

Darn nice,ya got me droolin

That's funny Mike!... Knauckway... it's Nachtweih... it must be a joke between you and Russ!!! You did get a 5 out of 9 letters correct, and nailed the 9 letter length, however none of your letters are in the correct position... Only letters you got correct N, A, C, W... Russ is a great designer/builder.

At least Marty only left off the 'T' at the end of your name bonoff... <_< :)

Hope you are doing well. Can you stagger the ride pads a little more to get that lead off the left side, or move the strut? Looks like a cool ride!

Just bustin' on you for fun!

Best,

DJ
Hi David- This is by far the best handling Gas Scale Hull I have had - Very low CG and well balanced. The weight on the sponson is because we have not put any weight inside yet, We have so much torque from the Gas Engines that we flatten out the cup in the props - In the second heat at the NW Champ race I actually turned the drive dog into a collar by shearing off the tips that engage the prop. Having a lot of fun with this new class learning all the different problems that a sparked / ringed engine brings - Gas is not easer than nitro it just has a different set of things that can go wrong...

Marty

Hey Marty,

Har di Har !!! Yep, I agree. I found the pics of the cowl off Coors , and Mike's pic of the cowl mold to be quite informative. Pics of the tops appeal to some, but I consider them "Bling" - mostly just along for the ride. The bottom has a much higher functional value for me. Guess I am easier than you. I showed you my bottom, and uncovered top too. Har, Har !!!

I knew I should have had Big Al flip that sucker over and shoot pics while he was there. I hear you had him chained to the judges stand - Har, Har !!! Olde man abuse !!! I'll bleed him for trade secrets under separate cover..

Sounds like everyone had a really good time. It was good to see that so many took the time to post pics from the event. I watched the video of the 1/7 Scale Final. Don't think I could drive counter clockwise, turning right has become an autonomic response.

Do you have data on what the various Gas Scales were running for power, props and where the hulls came from. What were the numbers for the different classes.

Now that there are 1/7th Scale electrics, What happened to the smaller boats that used to race Vintage and Modern divisions under E R/C Unlimited.

Thanks to PNWTA for putting on the event for the tenth consecutive year. GREAT Job guys. CHEERS !!! Bob
Bob- Thanks for all the positive comments - We had a blast this year at the NW Scale Champ race. We have always used the venue to showcase different scale hydro classes and next year we will see if we can fit in some of the 1/10 scale electrics. The gas set-ups are all over the place from 26cc small blocks with 1" hot pipes to the 31cc big blocks running 2" exhausts - I think set up and driving skills still win the day with no one engine/pipe/prop set up dominating the field. Over the next 60 days or so I will be adding a information page to the www.pnwta.org website just for Gas Scale suppliers. I know that there are at least 2 hulls and cowling's being shipped to RC Boat Company to be made into commercially available glass hulls - We have Mike L making many Gas Scale wood kits and I am working out the details to bring my 8255 to market as a glass hull, The one thing we are missing is a more robust selection of cowling's so if any one has a made a cowl for a Gas Scale please let me know and maybe we can find a manufacture that will pull a mold off of it to help out your fellow racers.

For information on the Gas Scale Class please visit and register on the PNWTA web site as I send out e-mail updates to the over 350 registered users from time to time but you must register to receive the updates.

Marty Shallenberger

Hey Marty,

My pleasure my Friend. I think this thread has been good for Gas Scale and all Scale boats in general. It does pay to advertise, especially when this forum is so readily available. Seems a shame to have IW available and not use it to promote the hobby.

I wasn't trying to add to your work load. Was simply curious if the old ER/CU is still running the 1/10 hulls that were so prolific there in the PNW, or, if they had moved on to the 1/7th Scale boats.

"..... 31cc running 2" exhausts -" I'm gonna need pics of that. I'm well read, but haven't seen that large an exhaust as yet. Are they available from where???

I'm glad to hear your site will be updated . It is a most valuable resource. Especially after you taught me to use it properly.

So Steve will soon be up to his eye balls with Gas Scale hulls to make molds for. The Lad will need to move into a warehouse soon. I was surprised that no one was running the Gas Scale Steve presently produces from Roger's plug.

I had an interesting conversation with Big Al a couple years back. He informed me that shipping his Feecraft Classic Thunderboat (CT) cross country was about one half the cost of shipping his BIG Greed hull the same distance. If this keeps up, we'll need our own trucking company to haul boats cross country.

Al also informed me that he took pics at #10 and that I'll have them maybe Wednesday. I'll be looking for the pics of the bottom of your Coors in that data dump. Marty. I tried to tell you: "He's sly and devious, and under no circumstance should be trusted." Har, Har !!! That statement came from an old Navy Watch Officer's manual referring to enlisted men. For those of us that were both - I consider it an extreme compliment. Then there were Chief Petty Officers to keep young JOs out of the deep Kimchi. CHEERS !!! Bob

Thanks, Mark,

I lost track of them due to a change in web site address as I recall. Surely does look like they are still active and going strong.

It never ceased to amaze me how quickly they came up with molds for new hulls and state of the art building techniques. Must be the influence of having Boeing in the area.

I appreciate the site address. CHEERS !!! Bob

Back