THE NORTHWEST SCALE CHAMPIONSHIP RACE IS BACK!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering what a semi-scale Thunderboats is?
It is a thunderboat. I would assume any legal IMPBA/NAMBA thunderboat. The scale guys are kind of a little anal of about scale stuff around here. That is all they run. I like to call them scanal. LOL Only thing scale about them is they sorta look like a round nose boat from the past. That is a far as it goes. The page should just read Thunderboats as the class is called in NAMBA.
Mike

I'm wondering what a semi-scale Thunderboats is?
This was framed this way because some of the Thunderboat hulls commonly bought from vendors or built by owners will/can conform to the Master Hull Roster dimensions for 1/6th scale class if the boats have the correct fake motors, cowlings, tailfin, drivers, a cockpit, paint and graphics. Boats like this could be run in both gas scale and the Thunderboat class if desired (presuming they have the stock motors required by the Thunderboat rules), while the semi-scale T boats could not run in gas scale because they are not patterned after a full-size unlimited hydroplane.

Last edited:
Mike,
Then just drop the semi scale. If it meets the scale, then it can run in both with a motor change if running mod. By adding that, you are confusing the thunderboat people. My old boat I built as a thunderboat also met the scale rules. I still just call it a thunderboat.
Mike

Mike,
Then just drop the semi scale. If it meets the scale, then it can run in both with a motor change if running mod. By adding that, you are confusing the thunderboat people. My old boat I built as a thunderboat also met the scale rules. I still just call it a thunderboat.
Mike
Hi Mike - The NAMBA Legal Thunderboat class is invited this year to the NW Scale Hydroplane race - Since this is a stock class motors will be inspected along with hull dimensions. Looking forward to seeing all the racers this year - Looks like it will be a big turnout

Hey Mr. Mike I liked what you shared about your build,
My old boat I built as a thunderboat also met the scale rules. I still just call it a thunderboat.
Is there a thread where I can see your TBoat... I am sure I am understanding scale rules but just would like a visual reference. Just another way to see the pictures. I have the rules and the master roster with measurments, but is it true the strut and prop nee d to stay under the transome? (if running in the scale class)

No thread. I dont have the boat any more. Sold to Mark. Never finished the motor area. Mark just has to finish the scale cowling and dummy motor. I went the easy route to get it in the water. Had a full cowl. Was planning to finish to scale but ran out of time before a nats, so slapped on something easy to meet thunderboat rules. Never got back to it.
Mike

The format for the race will be,

All 1/10th and 1/7th scale classes will be run on Saturday with as many heats as we can fit in of the other classes.

Our goal is to run 2 heats of 1/8th scale nitro, 1/8th scale FE, Gas scale and Thunderboats on Saturday. Depending on the number of Thunderboats (it sounds like we will have 6 or so) it will be a 4 heat total points race, which is what they do at the district level. If there's time we may try to finish up Thunderboat on Saturday if that's what the guys running the class want to do.

For 1/8th scale nitro and FE, Gas Scale we will try to get all 6 heats in with a the best 4 heats determining the points. If we start running late on Sunday we may have to pare 1/8th scale nitro and FE, Gas Scale down to 5 heats, but still the best 4 heats towards points.

One of the nice things about having the race moved from October to July is we will have a lot more daylight to burn.

With all the classes we will make a concerted effort to keep the race moving. We will have hot pits and an on-deck area. So be ready to go when you are up. Gary Grembowski has graciously agreed to be the pit boss.

One of the ways we can keep the race moving is to have people willing to volunteer to turn judge, replace buoys and retrieve dead boats. Please help out.

We will be using a 3 minute clock.

Last edited:
Mike, I plan on being there, both to run and help out. I have already actually managed to get Friday off as well. Any word yet on when we start setting up the course and driver's stand? Is there anything else I can help with this far in advance?

The 3 minute audio clock starts with an announcement that “you are on the clock” and begins a countdown from 3 minutes in 10 second intervals to the 2 1/2 minute mark and then a second by second countdown to the zero mark, which is the start of the race. It’s been the standard starting procedure in NW scale racing since the early 70’s. It’s a shorter version of the 5 minute clock used by the full sized unlimited boats.

Latest posts

Back