2012 Nitro Internats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The competition was very intense but fun at the same time. Many of the scores for the time trials were exceptionally close and some were separated by just .01 for a run. It really reshuffled up the standings after every run. It was most interesting to watch and score them. Stu wanted to try and get Martin's D Hydro oval record but the wind did not cooperate and he could not attempt it.

The Crapshooters of Stu, Bruce Jacobs, Rick Doane and Rick Grim were amazing. But Doug Twaits hung in there very well and claimed 2 of the US-1 classes. Stan Simpson IV took 3 of the US-1 awards. And Josh Black , age 15, and a CMB member, won the D Hydro US-1 title and the Excellence of Performance award. The youngest racer to claim those titles ever from what we can determine.

Well done to all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sitting in the Hotel room at Myrtle Beach recooping from Saturday. Deryl and I were taking care of 3 RTR boats and 3 Junior .21 boats, fast pace andI lost my mind and just wanted to know what was next and point me in that direction. But man was it fun. My daughter ran my JD kneeler in the class and came away with third after ripping the right sponson off from a bank collision, thanks to Don Ferrette for his workmanship and 5 min epoxy she was able to finish the heats and the boat ran just as good as before the crash. Carter came home with 2 fourth place finishes due to his pit man( me & fired again), and best of all, Nicholas, my nephew, ran a HTB260 Deryl set up Friday evening, got first place in Junior .21, first time he ever drove a tunnel was Friday afternoon, and he also got first in RTR, he was a happy little man. He drove great and will be a force to reckon with in the near future. His new nickname is No Nerves Nicholas. One heat of Junior him and Gage where going at it hard, he never waivered or got excited, drove his line and won the race, impressed I am.

GREAT WEEKEND and great job CMB, glad to see everyone and talk a little, had a blast. Big thanks to Deryl for helping out with the kids, he had to throw Nicholas in and then run back up and grab Kenzies kneeler to throw in. We both were very tired at the end of race day on Saturday, after a few glasses of my Pie, we were all good :wacko: :blink: -_-

Got home last night from the 1000 mi. drive, was nice to sleep in my own bed.

What a great week, thanks again to John Knight, Anthony Black and the entire CMB club for a fantastic event. Also a huge thanks to Marty Davis, Mark Grannis, Stu Barr, Dick Jones, Dick Tyndall and everyone else that pitched in to make this the premier event of the year.

My first time to Charleston, as the Terminator said "I'll be back"! :)

Got home last night from the 1000 mi. drive, was nice to sleep in my own bed.

What a great week, thanks again to John Knight, Anthony Black and the entire CMB club for a fantastic event. Also a huge thanks to Marty Davis, Mark Grannis, Stu Barr, Dick Jones, Dick Tyndall and everyone else that pitched in to make this the premier event of the year.

My first time to Charleston, as the Terminator said "I'll be back"! :)
very fun time thanks for the hard work it was a long 1200 miles to phils house and then i had another 200 miles to go got home by 11 centeral time as was up and at work by 7 thanks for all the hard work guys

Just got home to Rochester NY and were greeted with 55 degree temps and rain (welcome back to NY State!).

Thanks to all the CMB Members and rest of the team that put on the Nitro Nats. We've been out of racing for 15+ years and felt welcomed back into the rc community by both old and new friends. Learned alot from all and had a great time in Charleston. Hope to come back for another race in the future.

Cindy & Tom Driver

Another excellent time at the CMB pond. Even though I could not get Murphy out from under my tent all week I still had a blast. A BIG thank you to the Charleston Model Boaters for hosting the event that even in spite of some side effects of tropical storm Beryl was yet another feather in their hat. And to be a part of helping Josh "The Ball" Black in becoming the youngest US-1 and Excellence of Performance award winner was extra special. Can't wait for the Fall Nats! :)

Just want to share a few of my favorite moments of the Internats and special thanks in no paticular order.

The prize list was OUTSTANDING!!!! Best I've seen since the old Indy Unlimited days.

CMB club members and the property owner. You have a very nice site.

Jeff Widdon in the retrieve all week.

Hank and Marty have and tell great stories.

Marty is my prop doctor, for that E Hydro SAW blade was great on an old boat!

Color comentary for the RTR & Junior classes. Nicholas, McKenzie, Gage and Carter; I enjoyed calling your races as much as you did driving in them. Thank you. The Black Family is a class act!!!

Judging Tutorials

Low Country Boil was awsome!!!

Visiting and learning from past IMPBA presidents Dick Jones and Dick Tyndal. You both have my respect for the knowledge of the IMPBA you have. I may need you again in the future.

Just being nominated for LeFebre is a win for me. Mr. Bill was a fellow club member when we started running in the early 70's. Congrats to Don.

Stan Simpson's after racing visits.

Mr. Stu Barr so many things to list. Your most generous prizes for the raffle, your fast boats, and the VAC91 I won. However, I will never forget and am most greatful for the late night assistance helping me with the engine repair when I lost radio and an engine when the boat kept running in the weeds on the bank.

Doug Twaits for bringing his high level of competition to the IMPBA. I can't wait to race with your again. When it gets cold up there in the cold north, come to FL for some winter racing.

Mr. ans Mrs. Grim are great people.

John Sheffield for first loaning me his twin, and still wanting me to keep using his engines in another boat.

My man RoadRunner Ralph Almirola for letting me take his sweet ride of a twin. I only ran this boat twice before loading it up for the trip. Now I know his real motive...I need one of these for my own.

Team mate Joe Warren for the late night strategy sessions.

Every second spent with my son Chad. We laughed hard and often!!! JD Peckers...enough said.

I can't wait until the next Internats. Hope you all get the opportunity to exprience this type of racing, for it brings the three disaplines of our sport/hobby to the spotlight.

MG

Sounds like everybody had a great time..wish we could of been there...just cant have the kids miss to much school..Mark were just glad to have you and Chad

fired up again..Don F glad to know youll be coming to the Fall Nats in october..I know that most of us here in South Fla will be going to Charleston to battle

some major competition..between 5 of us we are bringing close to 20 nitro riggers and a bunch of nitro monos..and thats just from down here..I know that

theres a bunch of nitro guys from all over Florida will be attending..It will be one major Show...And congratulations to Josh Black, these guys are great

racers!!!

HERE KITTY KITTY!!!

If you missed this year's IMPBA Internats you missed a very well run, organized race. John Knight, Anthony Black and the Charleston Model Boaters did a great job with the site set up, entries, setting up the banquet, keeping people in the retrieve boats. You name it, they got it done. Marty Davis put together a group of people to call the races, be turn judges, Pit Bosses, etc. Stu Barr collected over $7,000 worth of raffle prizes. I haven't seen a race that went as smooth as this one went in a long time. Mark Grannis explained the rules and what was going to be called very clearly at the Driver's Meetings. Everyone must have been paying attention. Very few drivers got called for infractions but when they did I didn't hear any complaining like we have had at some races in the past. Mark did an exceptional job CDing this race. Everyone that worked in the official's tower during the week got together before the race and we all " got on the same page " as to what was going to happen. I don't think it could have gone much better than it did. When the kid's were racing their events on Saturday, Mark was CDing and he had nick names for all of the kids racing. I don't know who was having the most fun.............Mark or the kids. Nice touch with that, Mark. Terry Keeley did a great job CDing the timed events. Kept things moving at a good pace and everyone had plenty of time to get their boats ready to run.

The boat numbers might have been down, but the racing was very competitive. D hydro and E hydro were two really tough classes. Lots of good boats and talented drivers. F hydro and Twin hydro had a lot of fast boats and some pretty good wheel men, too. Not too many people jumping the start ( I was caught one time ) and not too many pile-ups in the first turn. Saw some really good driving at this Internats.

Best time I had was seeing some old friends that I hadn't seen for a long time and getting to catch up with them ( Dick and Sue Jones and Glover Jeffcoat ). It was good to see Tom and Cindy Driver back at the races. Spending time with Anthony, Alex and Josh Black is always a blast ( no pun intended ). Got a ride in Anthony's 1932 Rolls Royce finally. The Don ( Ferrette ) even got to drive on the way back to the house. And yes, all of the gears are still in the transmission. The evenings on the front porch with the guys, the " put the ring on the hook game " ( who's your Daddy? ), swapping service related stories with Bruce Jacobs ( I would have gone to Canada rather than be on a submarine! ) and maybe a few too many Beam and Cokes, it doesn't get much better than that.

If you didn't get to this one, you missed a good race and a fun week.

Dick Tyndall

Also wanted to thank Boris and Aquacraft for the donation of raffle prizes. Even though I had a bunch of tickets I won nothing, but my dad won a Boris flow meter (which will be put to good use by the whole family) and a Futaba 4PL, which was given to his grandson No Nerves Nicholas.

Thanks to all who donated raffle prizes for this event. It was a lot of fun, even when Otto chose his own prize. . .lol. . .how did he do that? The Godfather has special powers. . . :eek:

I had a $100.00 glow plug but I gave it away! Had a great time playing waitress and trophy girl! Didn't you know John is not from this planet! :ph34r: jj

Latest posts

Back