***2008 World Outboard Tunnel Championships***

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Notice to all -

The article in RC Boat Modeler went to press before the CMB club changed the dates of the race to one week later of March 29th and 30th. Please refer to Post #1 for the current information.

We honestly expect well over 200 boat entries for the 2008 race so plan on it for the race schedule for next year. We had 5 different countries represented this past race and early interest is showing 3 additional countries may be represented by racers next year. It is the ultimate tunnel race anywhere in the world.

A little update:

I had the pleasure of attending, racing, and helping with CD duties at the CMB hosted S.C. State Championships a little over a week ago in Charleston while in the states visiting family. This was at the new race site, and I must say it is nothing short of su-freekin-perb. If you guys like the old pond, this facility is light years ahead. We (CMB) really have been lucky to have such a fine race facility at our disposal thanks to a very generous land owner.

The CMB club also now has a digital clock that most of us are used to using. One of our sharper (READ: Smarter) club members figured out how to hook his rediculously complex looking digital camera up to the digital clock, and then to a large TV screen located on the CD table. When the clock reached zero and the "strobe" flashed, it also sent a signal to the camera to take a still shot of the starting line at the same instant, and a second later to the TV screen for our viewing pleasure. This made for some very close, but UNDENIABLE starts. I must say, it was very nice not to hear the usual bitching and moaning about who was over, who is blind, yatta yatta yatta....

This system will be used at the 2008 World Tunnel Championships this coming March. Here is your fair warning, jump the start, and you will be sorry :)

Here is a photo of one of the many very close starts. The starting line is the orange pole on the bottom and the green bouy in the middle/top of the screen. The first boat is over obviously, but with the naked eye, the first 3 may have been over!

photostart.jpg

I will put this posting as a sticky at the top of this forum as the date draws more near. We are also working right now to get the flyer out and ready for your submittal. We wanted to wait until the last race of our season was over before releasing it. Also the website is now underway and will be launched shortly. Thanks! ~James Clegg / C.M.B.

PS, hats off to Jay Halbrehder. He nailed every start that I watched him on with his tunnel boats. Like clockwork!

A little update:
I had the pleasure of attending, racing, and helping with CD duties at the CMB hosted S.C. State Championships a little over a week ago in Charleston while in the states visiting family. This was at the new race site, and I must say it is nothing short of su-freekin-perb. If you guys like the old pond, this facility is light years ahead. We (CMB) really have been lucky to have such a fine race facility at our disposal thanks to a very generous land owner.

The CMB club also now has a digital clock that most of us are used to using. One of our sharper (READ: Smarter) club members figured out how to hook his rediculously complex looking digital camera up to the digital clock, and then to a large TV screen located on the CD table. When the clock reached zero and the "strobe" flashed, it also sent a signal to the camera to take a still shot of the starting line at the same instant, and a second later to the TV screen for our viewing pleasure. This made for some very close, but UNDENIABLE starts. I must say, it was very nice not to hear the usual bitching and moaning about who was over, who is blind, yatta yatta yatta....

This system will be used at the 2008 World Tunnel Championships this coming March. Here is your fair warning, jump the start, and you will be sorry :)

Here is a photo of one of the many very close starts. The starting line is the orange pole on the bottom and the green bouy in the middle/top of the screen. The first boat is over obviously, but with the naked eye, the first 3 may have been over!

photostart.jpg

I will put this posting as a sticky at the top of this forum as the date draws more near. We are also working right now to get the flyer out and ready for your submittal. We wanted to wait until the last race of our season was over before releasing it. Also the website is now underway and will be launched shortly. Thanks! ~James Clegg / C.M.B.

PS, hats off to Jay Halbrehder. He nailed every start that I watched him on with his tunnel boats. Like clockwork!
That is a great shot of the starting line. It clearly shows the one boat over by half a boat length. Just imagine if that was an eight boat heat and five of the boats jumped the start! Would be great to have a snapshot of that. Sure would eliminate a lot of bitching! I know I have been involved in a few those discussions! :angry: It would be nice to post instructions on how to hook up a digital camera to the starting clock and then send a snapshot to a monitor on the judges stand.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
David,

We first used the photo set up, which was manual, at the Tunnel Champs this past March. And there was still whining. We got a digital clock made by Randall Thomas over the summer and decided to automate it. It is simple. There is an AMB set of contacts in the control board of the clock. Ran two wires to the camera to trip the shutter when the clock expired. A standard set of video wires from the camera to the monitor completes the video needs.

It is all automatic and is synched with the clock so there is no errors in judgment. We intend on using it for all of our future races, including the World OB Tunnel Championships in March 2008, where we have 8 boat heats almost every heat running.

David,
We first used the photo set up, which was manual, at the Tunnel Champs this past March. And there was still whining. We got a digital clock made by Randall Thomas over the summer and decided to automate it. It is simple. There is an AMB set of contacts in the control board of the clock. Ran two wires to the camera to trip the shutter when the clock expired. A standard set of video wires from the camera to the monitor completes the video needs.

It is all automatic and is synched with the clock so there is no errors in judgment. We intend on using it for all of our future races, including the World OB Tunnel Championships in March 2008, where we have 8 boat heats almost every heat running.
For the Dutch championships we use AMB transponders. Every boat has a transponder on board and on the start/finish there is cable above the water which detect which boats are passing a so it is easy to see who's first or second etc. The system also registers the fast lap and average speeds, here is an example of one of the heats (this was for the offshore class, 8 minute heats: http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=573673

Ok guys, the time is now.

The CMB club just approved the entry flyer for the 2008 World Tunnel Champs. Something for everyone, all nitro classes, Gas, and FE.

You can download/print the form by clicking HERE

This race has a 250 boat limit, and we expect it to fill up fast. DONT DELAY, get your entry form in ASAP. Any entries without payment will not be accepted. No phone or Email entries will be accepted. PLEASE PRINT the information clearly.

Any questions, let me know. I am the point of contact for this race.

Thanks, ~James Clegg, Charleston Model Boaters.

[email protected]

PS, I will keep this pinned at the top for just a few days, then removed it from pinned status. This is so everyone has a couple days to see it.

james,

can't get the whole form to print. cuts off after about 6 classes, and resumes in the middle of the directions. don't know if it's me, or the form..... can you e-mail it to me? was hoping to be one of the first entered. travis and i WILL be there.

thanx,

robin

Robin, what version of Word are you using?

I can email it to you. I will PDF it tommorow, and then repost it.

Anyone else having trouble? It works just fine on my 3 computers...

~James

Man, can't wait for this one!!!! Grim, Dunny and I will be there!!!!!

My first trip to this race, gonna be great and I'm sure way too much fun!!!! Heck, if the gov finds out this is so much fun, probably will have to start paying taxes on it:)

Rw

Ok guys, the time is now.
The CMB club just approved the entry flyer for the 2008 World Tunnel Champs. Something for everyone, all nitro classes, Gas, and FE.

You can download/print the form by clicking HERE

This race has a 250 boat limit, and we expect it to fill up fast. DONT DELAY, get your entry form in ASAP. Any entries without payment will not be accepted. No phone or Email entries will be accepted. PLEASE PRINT the information clearly.

Any questions, let me know. I am the point of contact for this race.

Thanks, ~James Clegg, Charleston Model Boaters.

[email protected]

PS, I will keep this pinned at the top for just a few days, then removed it from pinned status. This is so everyone has a couple days to see it.

don't know what they use here...... pdf will work, though. the e-mail does the same thing. must be on my end. thanx anyway.

James,

I've tried to print it as well and am having trouble. I'm getting three pages and it looks to me it may be omiting another page what I'd think would be page two. It is omiting the classes from line 16, the entry form and part of the directions.

Mark

James,I've tried to print it as well and am having trouble. I'm getting three pages and it looks to me it may be omiting another page what I'd think would be page two. It is omiting the classes from line 16, the entry form and part of the directions.

Mark
exactly my issue. i'll try at the house tonight. here at the dealership, we have to use what honda, suzuki, izusu and vw require. some screwy sh*t for programs, i can tell you !!!!!

guys, try it again. I redid a few things. If that doesnt work, it will be PDF'd tommorow like I said, and that should take care of any problems. A lot of people use different versions of MS Word, with different settings etc. and that is where the problems are coming from.

~James

nope.same thing. tried deleting it and resaving, no good. pdf it, i know that works here. hate to use MY paper, this stuff at work is MUCH cheaper :eek: :lol: :lol: .

Hey James,

Thanks!

It printed perfectly for me.

I'll see all you clowns in March.

This is going to be a blast!!! :)

Yeah, I will PDF it in the morning, and have it up before you guys wake up.

I almost forgot!! check out this: www.worldtunnelchamps.com

Ive been working on it for a day or so. I still have a lot of stuff to put on there, but its a start.

For those who wish to sponsor this race, whether a trophy/class sponsor or a donation/raffle sponsor, (or both, like OER :) ) please contact John Knight. Once you talk to him, I will put up your logo and provide a direct link to your website or contact info on the sponsor page. We are still looking for a title sponsor for this event, and will certainly provide priority advertisement, both on the website and while at the race. John Knights email address is [email protected] Please put "Race sponsor" in the subject line.

Also, check out the entry list page, this will be updated as soon as we start getting entries in the mail.

Thanks, im tired of computers for one day now....

~James

wow! How the heck has this post had 11,000 views!! sweet... I think the biggest race of all will be who can get their entries in fast enough...

We might have to start qualifying for this race!

~James

wow! How the heck has this post had 11,000 views!! sweet... I think the biggest race of all will be who can get their entries in fast enough...
We might have to start qualifying for this race!

~James
Hey, I qualify for Medicare and Social Security that should be sufficient. :D My entry will go in the mail tomorrow. BTW, it printed out fine for me. After watching Brother Hopper race last year, it's no wonder he's having problems printing off an entry form. Those buoys he beat to pieces are getting their revenge. Dang, even Dunny's getting in some smack. B) It should be noted that after JD placed has hands upon Brother Hopper's shoulders and cast away the driving demons on Saturday afternoon Brother Hopper had a very successful day racing on Sunday.

JD

Untouchable vs. Mafia

Gas vs. Nitro

HTV vs. OMC

Oh yeah...this is gonna be a good one.

Would also like to mention there will be two of my boats as raffle prizes.

Latest posts

Back