1970 Burien Lady pics wanted

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Strange

Looking for some good pictures of the 1970 Burien Lady...specifically, of the tail showing some good detail of the tail. I have found some good pictures, but nothing showing detail of the graphic, which I assume is a Genie.

Thanks, Tim

P.S. I have scoured the net, and did find some pictures. Just nothing good enough to draw an accurate picture from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Tim,

I just received these from a Friend - Dave Weagle to post for you. CHEERS !!! Bob

Thanks Bob and Dave, those are probably the two best I have found. I can probably draw something close, but I just can't figure out what the Genie has in his hand. Is it a Vacuum with a little dust cloud or floor shampooer (?) with some bubbles? I am guessing that it was probably a local carpet cleaner?

I did find some excellent pictures of the Smoother Mover at unlimitedsdetroit...no good pics of the Burien.

Anyway, I was wondering about the pennant...Searched high and low for yacht club pennants. I found two possibilities. One is the Orcas Island Yacht club which is about 100 miles away from Burien, and the other is a Waffen SS pennant (probably not this one).

SSpennant.jpg

OrcasIslandYachtClubPennant.gif

It could be the Orcas Island burgee, definately not the SS. I have to agree, looks like the genie is using some sort of floor care product, just can't tell what

The fact that TTPYC formed in 1969 in the Burien/Des Moines area would also would make it a more likely option than OIYC. Again, the indistinct nature of the boats tail art make it difficult to tell. Something else that would be interesting to find out is when the (official or gentlemen's agreement)rule requiring all unlimited hydros be sponsored by a yatch club was dropped as I don't remember seeing a burgee painted on any of the other big name boats at any time after 1968. Was the burgee still "required" or just a way of advertising the new YC?

Hey Tim,

Throw a Molson Golden into his hand, and the Genie will be "Good to Go" !!! I seem to get involved with bizaar, obscure Unlimited hydro research projects (Daves) - - but I'm not getting sucked into this one. Good Luck with your project. CHEERS !!! Bob

Tim,your questions seem to be about decals,and not about the boat.If you need any pics of the boat,which is hull #6207,I can give you a bunch I collected doing research on my 67 Bud,particularly the two person cockpit and cowl details,which I believe are the same.Are you building yours as 1/8 scale,Thunderboat,or Gas Scale?My Bud as you know is a Thunderboat class.

Larry, I think you may have the winning ticket with the Three Tree Point Yacht Club burgee! At first, I thought it may be a propeller...but the three trees certainly looks the part.

And Hydro Junkie, I agree it would be interesting to find out when they stopped using Yacht clubs as sponsors. Although I guess the DYC still has a presence. BTW, I was kidding about the SS pennant.

Harvey, This all started with a Zippkit Rocket that I planned to "scale up" to make a pointed bow '71 Miss Madison...or the earlier scheme with the yellow tail/black graphic rather than the mahogany/maroon tail with the white Indiana state form. I enlarged the Newton plans 10% and it mostly scaled fairly well width-wise and length aft of the sponsons. The forward part is a bit short though, but workable especially for Classic Thunder class. The initial scale items I wanted to focus on where to get the shape of the rear sponsons correct (as well as the nose), making a 1/7.35 scale Allison, and chopping/channeling the Zip cowl to be more scale.

Anyway, while looking around for Madison pictures I came across the Burien Lady and the Smoother Mover. I just really like the looks of these two paint schemes (with the exposed wodden decking) to the extent that I have been researching the possibilty of actually "planking" the deck! This may not happen on my current project, however after I finish my current 8255 project, I plan to start work on a gas scale stepped deck.

Tim,your questions seem to be about decals,and not about the boat.If you need any pics of the boat,which is hull #6207,I can give you a bunch I collected doing research on my 67 Bud,particularly the two person cockpit and cowl details,which I believe are the same.Are you building yours as 1/8 scale,Thunderboat,or Gas Scale?My Bud as you know is a Thunderboat class.
harv,

please contact me regarding your 1967 bud project.

thank you,

dave w,

[email protected]

Larry, I think you may have the winning ticket with the Three Tree Point Yacht Club burgee! At first, I thought it may be a propeller...but the three trees certainly looks the part.

And Hydro Junkie, I agree it would be interesting to find out when they stopped using Yacht clubs as sponsors. Although I guess the DYC still has a presence. BTW, I was kidding about the SS pennant.

Harvey, This all started with a Zippkit Rocket that I planned to "scale up" to make a pointed bow '71 Miss Madison...or the earlier scheme with the yellow tail/black graphic rather than the mahogany/maroon tail with the white Indiana state form. I enlarged the Newton plans 10% and it mostly scaled fairly well width-wise and length aft of the sponsons. The forward part is a bit short though, but workable especially for Classic Thunder class. The initial scale items I wanted to focus on where to get the shape of the rear sponsons correct (as well as the nose), making a 1/7.35 scale Allison, and chopping/channeling the Zip cowl to be more scale.

Anyway, while looking around for Madison pictures I came across the Burien Lady and the Smoother Mover. I just really like the looks of these two paint schemes (with the exposed wodden decking) to the extent that I have been researching the possibilty of actually "planking" the deck! This may not happen on my current project, however after I finish my current 8255 project, I plan to start work on a gas scale stepped deck.
It was indeed the three tree point burgee. Send me your email and I can send you a picture that shows it clearly as well as the genie.

Harry

Back