COOPER QHP test results

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark voorhies

Anyone have test results with the new COOPER QHP pipes!

I watched Steve Cooper dominate at St Louis this past wk end with

his Seaducer Gas Mono. His boat would rpm very well comin out of the corners

and keep on comin down the straights. I ran one on my new .45 RS mono also

this wk. end with shorter pipe lenght, and smaller prop than I have run in the past.

Tried one also on .80 CMB MONO. with same results, shorter pipe, by 1/2" than last year

with CMB big belly pipe, great transition, higher rpm into and through straights.

Would like to here any tests with Hydros, and, or .21 hulls, or any other testing

with QHP's

Mark when you say shorter pipe length, shorter than what? What did you used to run for lengths & props compared to now. B)

Well,

you were there! The sport 21 had that pipe on, too bad we lost the set up some on Friday. But the boat still came back to win on Sunday. My pipe is about the same length, but the radar gun says I am turning more rpm. The boat is 4mph quicker and it shows as a two ounce weight is now helping hold it down. I think she is ready for evansville. The twenty monos are testing next!! By the way, DId you see Deans Canard with that pipe? Man, that thing was fast. It has a Cooper built motor and and his new pipe. I dont know the speed difference. But I know Dean was extremely happy with his new horsepower. Ken

Always someone. Hows this Will, I ran the old cooper pipe, same length, same prop, same day, guned it out of bouy six, and into bouy one, two tanks of fuel, using the best needle setting I could get. then switched to the qhp pipe. I was consistantly three mph faster out of the turn, and 4mph into the turn when I was on what I felt was the best needle setting for the motor. Now, I had to turn more rpm to run faster. I ran some similiar tests of the old style cooper pipe against the ops 3280 and they seemed pretty even, but the cooper pipe was quieter. As I am sure you know will, Pipe results will very from boat to boat and set up to set up. there is no fix all pipe for any boat. I am just stating what happened for me. Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark when you say shorter pipe length, shorter than what? What did you used to run for lengths & props compared to now. B)
Don , on the .45 I ran 9 1/2 " last year with X450/3 prop, same prop I'm runnin 9 1/4 with QHP pipe

on the .80 I ran 11 1/4" last year with X460/3 prop, same prop I'm runnin 10 3/4" with QHP pipe

The QHP likes a little more fuel, which I like. These are Monos.

Don , on the .45 I ran 9 1/2 " last year with X450/3 prop, same prop I'm runnin 9 1/4 with QHP pipe

on the .80 I ran 11 1/4" last year with X460/3 prop, same prop I'm runnin 10 3/4" with QHP pipe

Thank you Mark. :)

Don you have a PM.

Don you have a PM.
I tried to reply, your Inbox is full! :eek:

Don you have a PM.
I tried to reply, your Inbox is full! :eek:
FIXED Sorry , gotta clean house more often ;)

Always someone. Hows this Will, I ran the old cooper pipe, same length, same prop, same day, guned it out of bouy six, and into bouy one, two tanks of fuel, using the best needle setting I could get. then switched to the qhp pipe. I was consistantly three mph faster out of the turn, and 4mph into the turn when I was on what I felt was the best needle setting for the motor. Now, I had to turn more rpm to run faster. I ran some similiar tests of the old style cooper pipe against the ops 3280 and they seemed pretty even, but the cooper pipe was quieter. As I am sure you know will, Pipe results will very from boat to boat and set up to set up. there is no fix all pipe for any boat. I am just stating what happened for me. Ken
Yep Kenny, always, that question , and no response???? By the way, great answer!!

Were are you guy's measuring to , from the engine to the midle of the widest part or the first weld ?

I really wish manufacturers would put a simple measuring mark on there pipes to create a standard for measuring , so simple to do.

I have run the pipe on my Scale and CrapShooter but not enough on either to say if I like it or not.

I will say if you stuff the boat take the time to remove the pipe from the hull to get the water out of it , they are a little more work to drain than a standard pipe.

Tim K

Were are you guy's measuring to , from the engine to the midle of the widest part or the first weld ?
I really wish manufacturers would put a simple measuring mark on there pipes to create a standard for measuring , so simple to do.

I have run the pipe on my Scale and CrapShooter but not enough on either to say if I like it or not.

I will say if you stuff the boat take the time to remove the pipe from the hull to get the water out of it , they are a little more work to drain than a standard pipe.

Tim K
I read on the bottom of your quote what your boats are. I havent tried it on either of those type boats. The current pipe on my 40 crapshooter is the brown one drilled out, has worked great from the day it hit the boat. I havent tried it on that. I was going to try it on my 93 bud this weekend, so I am interested as to where your Dewalt is set now, and what prop you have on it. THanks, Ken

Tim K
I read on the bottom of your quote what your boats are. I havent tried it on either of those type boats. The current pipe on my 40 crapshooter is the brown one drilled out, has worked great from the day it hit the boat. I havent tried it on that. I was going to try it on my 93 bud this weekend, so I am interested as to where your Dewalt is set now, and what prop you have on it. THanks, Ken
my sport 40 shure did like this pipe and we were running it @ 97/8 inches. it milled great and good topend speed and rpm just ask Phil Thomas he was raceing it

Tim K
Tim one thing we have done to the Cooper mufflers is to drill a 1/16th hole in the end of the muffler cone. this will let all the excess oil and water drain.

We always refer to the lenght as glow plug to weld but to the center of the engine cylinder so the angle of the pipe is not measured which would be a shorter measurment.

Tim K
my sport 40 shure did like this pipe and we were running it @ 97/8 inches. it milled great and good topend speed and rpm just ask Phil Thomas he was raceing it
I tested my sport 40 at 10" to 10 3/4" with all kinds of props and strut depth and couldent get over 40 mph with it. I'd say you need somewhere between 9 1/2 to 9 7/8 with Phil's boat

What engines and boats are you guys running these pipes on successfully? Not every engine and pipe combos work well together.

Thanks,

David

Tim K
Ken

I just started to set up both boat as they are both new so I have just been trying to get enginesbroken in and the bugs out so I can't really coment on the pipes performance .

Yes Phil I too have been measuring to the weld for almost twenty years now but unfortunately every pipe is different and the Cooper pipe is welded in two spots and they are both past the largest diameter of the pipe.

A simple mark on the pipe from the manufacturer would eliminate any confusion.

Tim

Back