How to ruin a day at the lake in under 5 Seconds

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydro Junkie

Saturday started off great, light breeze, smooth water and a race proven scale hydro ready to tear it up. What could possibly go wrong? PUT THE TRANSMITTER IN MY HANDS!!!!!!!!!!

First run, everything is going fine as I cut across the infield rather than challenge the bank on both ends of the course. Then it happens, I try staying outside the bouys and get too close to the bank for my liking. That leads to too much rudder and smacking the exit bouy. This lead to a nice high arching flightpath with the result of stuffing the sponsons followed by a backflop. Bring the boat in, found the damage to be only a crack in the cowl at the front of the canopy as well as a couple of cracks in the canopy itself. Out comes the CA and, after flushing out the engine, I'm ready for round 2.

Since I hit the bouy, the course had been reset. The corner bouys had been brought in a bit so there was more room in the corners so I'm good to go. The boat is launched and, with a bit of assistance, the rudder is trimmed to keep the boat going straight. I get three laps in and all is going great and then, everything hits the fan. Dave Brandt, carrying a brand new pure white gas scale walks in front of the driver's stand. The motion below is enough to get me to glance down for maybe half a second. After years of working in aviation and spending time on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier, keeping aware of what is going on around me is force of habit so I'm not blaming Dave in any way. Anyway, that time was enough to let my boat get from the middle of the backstretch to past the entrance bouy, headed straight at the bank. I slammed the rudder hard right and somehow missed the bank but, unfortunately, not the tree branches hanging out over the water.

The hull was undamaged but, unfortunately for me, the cowl, rudder and one vertical weren't so lucky. I think pictures will tell the story better than I can so I've posted some below. The worst part of this whole deal is JWO, the club president, was watching and, as I was coming off the drivers stand, told me I was only a lap short of passing my driver's qualifying test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess I get to try again in three weeks in Ellensburg. I also guess it's practice time so, if all goes well, I plan on being on the water again this weekend ;)

120917-123355.jpg120917-123456.jpg120917-123725.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark Lee,

Just imagine what its like with 5 other boats out there HJ, all those buoys, boats, tree limbs, chicks in bikinis..... its tough.

Bet the RCU guys were relieved.

As many before you have learned. NEVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF YOUR BOAT! Always rely on your spotter to tell you whats ahead and follow his/her direction. We will set the course on Friday in Ellensburg for the final race of the year. Open water all day. Saturday we will have open water until about 1:00 pm then we will hold the Qualifing for the Gold Cup. Followed by the 1st 2 heats of both the Norm Evans and the Gold Cup. Then open water for the reamainder of the afternoon. Sunday will have open water til about 9:30 am.

Nothing wrong with learning to look ahead either..... ;)

So you need to pass a drivers test to race scale? Sounds like a good idea.

B. Qualification

1. The following requirement is the minimum standard under these rules, but

may be upgraded annually by the Board without specific revision to this rule

book:

a. An oral test regarding the basic driving rules will be given.

b. All new drivers must complete five laps about a standard course

in less than two minutes.

2. Any driver that has not successfully completed any required qualification

shall not be allowed to start a heat of a sanctioned R/C Unlimiteds regatta.

3. Any qualification attempt must be witnessed by a board member or

designated appointee of the Board.

4. Driver qualifications will not be allowed on race day prior to the race.

I do have some work to do. The rudder shaft is bent almost 90* so I have to manufacture a new one, probably make several so I will be able to make race day repairs in the future. I have a second set of verticals, one damaged one not. Fortunately, the not is the same side as the one I wiped out on Saturday so I can install the tail feathers later today, have to get more nylon screws first. Anyone know where I can get magnets to hold the cowl? Had the cowl been held on in that manner, the only damage to it would have been chipped paint :(

Craig, what happened to me Saturday is exactly why there is a driver qualification test before being able to race. Had there been more boats on the water, it could have been much worse as there could have been multiple boats damaged instead of just mine. Since I haven't driven a boat on a bouyed course in well over a decade and nothing this fast in at least as long, having no other boats on the water was a fortunate bonus.

HJ, remember, you control the speed with your finger... dont be scared to slow down until you get a handle on the boat.

Going slow wasn't the problem, Rodney, as we estimated the boat was only going in the 35-40 MPH range. The problem was the loose nut on the sticks :lol:

I do have some work to do. The rudder shaft is bent almost 90* so I have to manufacture a new one, probably make several so I will be able to make race day repairs in the future. I have a second set of verticals, one damaged one not. Fortunately, the not is the same side as the one I wiped out on Saturday so I can install the tail feathers later today, have to get more nylon screws first. Anyone know where I can get magnets to hold the cowl? Had the cowl been held on in that manner, the only damage to it would have been chipped paint :(

Craig, what happened to me Saturday is exactly why there is a driver qualification test before being able to race. Had there been more boats on the water, it could have been much worse as there could have been multiple boats damaged instead of just mine. Since I haven't driven a boat on a bouyed course in well over a decade and nothing this fast in at least as long, having no other boats on the water was a fortunate bonus.
When I get home from work I'll add a link to a place that has what you need,, the complete set up,, VERY cheap too

The place for magnets,, two of the 3/8" size holds a standard sport-40 cowl in place

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=58750&cat=3,42363,42348&ap=1

Your local hobby shop might have magnets too.
Did some checking, none of the local hobby shops carry rare earth magnets. After seeing the link Rick posted, I started looking around at similar stores locally and found some on Rockler Woodworking Supply's website. Looks like a Saturday run down to the North Seattle Rockler store for magnets and a few other things I could use.

As far as the boat goes, found more damage yesterday. Since it's a glass hull, it has plywood ride pads laminated to the sponson bottoms. The rear skin on the left sponson was partially broken loose so I need to either do a total replacement or inject epoxy between the wood and glass sponson bottom to repair the area as well. More updates as the repairs progress :ph34r:

Walmart carries rare earth magnets. Look in the craft section. They are the right size for our applications, too (1/4" to 1/2")

Latest posts

Back