ML Boatworks GSX480 Gas Sport Hydroplane prototype build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
2/23/14- Got up to the lake today. Here is a good long video of the gas sport hydro running. I have lots of good pics too. I will upload them soon, Mike

There is a full build thread over on JRCBD, but wanted to share with you what is about the finished product. Its my newest design, the GSX480 gas sport hydro. 48" in length. I built the prototype, and handed it over to Dick Loeb to paint, rig and test. He sprayed the paint today..man it looks great! Decals, and re-rigging in the next day or two..then off for some testing! I will be driving up to the ODMBA club pond once him and Donnie get it dialed in for some video. I just wanted those on here that don't visit Jim's to know its coming soon, especially with as large a race class as gas sport is.

I made the cowling from blocks of balsa into a plug, then mold..Turned out really well. More info soon. Here is the link to the build thread on Jim's. Enjoy, Mike

http://www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php?t=74081

ResizedImage_1389647523188_zps446aae48.jpg

ResizedImage_1389639497660_zps02fab9ab.jpg

ResizedImage_1389642760951_zps81696001.jpg

ResizedImage_1389642706335_zpsb0327ded.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Scott. Just a few things left to do till its ready for the first test. Both Dick and I are really excited to see the results! Mike

ResizedImage_1389813930168_zps89d5cfc1.jpg

ResizedImage_1389813893475_zpsf8b4a3bd.jpg

Beautiful!!! Great job Mike and Dick!!!! Looks fast just sitting there!!!!

I am already looking forward to buying one of your gas rigger kits!!! You know you will be designing one...lol!! I would like to be first in line for one!!!!

I talked to Dick today...should be Monday they do the first test. If it goes well, I will ride up next weekend and do some video! Mike

I just got some initial test news from Dick Loeb and Donnie Padgent (spelling*)...Dick Tyndall and Kentley Porter's brother in law Keith Thompson were also out there. Keith apparently got video of the 3-4 runs (I am guessing 4 as they tested 4 different props) and says he will try and upload that asap.

Conditions, 20mph wind, rough water

Boat ran with a mild 29.5 mod motor. Dick said he could run the boat dead into the wind wide open, turn in the rough water wide open with no issues, hold the bouys with no issues. He said this motor had the boat in the upper 60's, but also said Donnie was handing him a brand new "badazz" fully modded 29.5 to put in it as the hull wants more apparently! He tried 4 different props and could see the hull react to each prop change, which he said is a good thing. He also stated that the sponsons had not even been scuffed yet, and there were even some clearcoat bumps here and there. He wanted to test it just as any possible builder might run the boat in its worse condition. He summed it up with he could have thrown the boat in today and raced it just as the initial setup was. Pretty good news! Dick Loeb said he would post something later, and I suspect Dick Tyndall might add something as well!

Oh, per my conversation with Dick Loeb on Saturday, the final weight of the boat, ready to run is 16.5lbs, and that the "natural" CoG was right around 1.5" behind the sponson heal with no lead added to get it to that point.

This boat was a blast to drive in at best nasty wind conditions, you would have thought there was no ruff water at all.... The boat tracked perfectly,hanging on its VA CRAFTSMAN turn fin,no jumping in the corners or in the straights, it just ran really well. Its going to be a super BAD AZZ ride for the Gas Sport class. Handleing ,Looks,Speed its almost better than sex... Thanks to Mike for all you do for everyones fun in this Hobby!!! Great boat kits at ML Boatworks .com

This boat was a blast to drive in at best nasty wind conditions, you would have thought there was no ruff water at all.... The boat tracked perfectly,hanging on its VA CRAFTSMAN turn fin,no jumping in the corners or in the straights, it just ran really well. Its going to be a super BAD AZZ ride for the Gas Sport class. Handleing ,Looks,Speed its almost better than sex... Thanks to Mike for all you do for everyones fun in this Hobby!!! Great boat kits at ML Boatworks .com
I have to say that this boat will be a winner! I was very impressed with how the boat handled the rough water. It never hopped, never darted, nothing. It went across the water like it was on glass. Dick just needed one of his monster Sport Gas engines in there to get this thing in the mid to high 70's MPH. This is going to be the boat to beat in racing this year. It will be an easy build for those of us who are not use to building boats. All of Mike's kits go together easily without a lot of special tools. One thing that impressed me was the gas tank location. It is very close to where the Center of Gravity is. What this means is that the boat will run the same from when you throw it in the water until after the race is over. Something I found out over 25 years ago. It is certainly not a secret, but something nobody seems to think is important when building a boat. Great job, Mike! Thanks for all that you are doing for our hobby.
Dick Tyndall

Dick Loeb,

Thanks for taking the time to rig, paint, and test this boat. It means a lot to me. Thanks for your kind comments, but I know where I would be without your help and knowledge over the last 4 years, so I thank you! And to think, it all started with the clown boat kneeler! haha

Dick Tyndall,

Thanks for going out there and taking the time to comment on what you saw. Many thanks for your contribution to the build as well!!!

Thanks Chilli, maybe I can get to some of those races this year......
default_smile.png

Mike

Here are some pictures Dick Tyndall just sent me. The video should come soon. I think Keith is having some trouble finding the cord to connect to the computer. If he is not able to get the video offloaded I will be going up there to record the boat once the weather changes as the big motor has been installed! Mike

IMG_6083_zps42a996ba.jpg

IMG_6098-Copy_zpsd17bdb29.jpg

IMG_6089_zps96ad7640.jpg

IMG_6086_zps1b776de9.jpg

IMG_6095_zps61a225ea.jpg

Got up to the lake today. Here is a good long video of the gas sport hydro running. I have lots of good pics too. I will upload them soon, Mike

Got up to the lake today. Here is a good long video of the gas sport hydro running. I have lots of good pics too. I will upload them soon, Mike

In addition to the video I posted yesterday, I took a lot of good pictures of the boat running. Here they are. I also took pictures of the rudder and sponson bottoms. The rudder is stock length, and the sponsons are still slick-sticky clear coat..not blueprinted and roughed up. Once the rudder is cut down and the bottom worked over, the boat should be good for at least a few mph. Enjoy the pics. It really is a good running boat. We all agreed that the propeller on the boat when I did still shots made the boat run really well. The one during the video carried the sponson more. Should have video during the final run instead of still shots. You can see how nice and level its running!

This is also a first for ML Boatworks as I have never really video'ed any of my designs after testing them. I have been asked to do this over the years...This is a great start! Mike

IMGP5051_zps0d7980a2.jpg

IMGP5049_zpsabfcc455.jpg

IMGP5048_zpsb626a272.jpg

IMGP5041_zps050a396b.jpg

IMGP5038_zps8120966d.jpg

Back