Micro Rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Guys,

Well I got a little time now to try and work on this boat now today we actually got some flurries and the temp is about 32°f. Yes as far as I can tell the prob is sharp and balanced, I will go thru and double check and triple check the turn fin. I am using the B215 which Tom recommends for his .12 riggers as a place to start for props, but I will be getting more props and doing some experiments with them. I don't really know all the tricks of prop work for sure and I know it is an art to get really good with them, but I will try or I will try Mark for some props. But like I said the boat was like a little rocket on the water, I would have never guessed it would go as fast as it was last night (and when its running correctly WoW it will be fast)

Thanks Again Everyone, I really appreciate the advice. :)

Paul

Hi Again,

Sorry I post so much but Don Templeton had mentioned that there is something that can aid in water proofing a receiver? I really don't have room to balloon or wrap the receiver in rubber the bunched end and tie is killing me on space. I tried this and the radio box cover was bulging open and tape wouldn't hold it closed, it looked pregnant.

Thank Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
The short length of the tub may be hurting the handlinglike a short wheelbase car. The longer tub gives a longer moment arm from the turn fin to the rudder. Just a thought.......

Cheese, you may want to tow in that right sponson a bit. Sounds to me like you're doing pretty good by your self.

Don ;)

Thank You for your advice everyone,
I need to get a newer video to show, the video I have posted is a very slow moving boat. The boat is traveling 2x faster, I also will try and weigh the boat tonight with everything the way it sits going into the water (with and without fuel) I am guessing just a hair over 2lbs. I really cant run today, winds are 20-40mph today and expected flurries and for and for the next four days 3 days are expected flurries (tomorrow though if not to windy will try (sunny day)). I did do alot of tweaking to the turn fin at the pond yesterday and didn't notice any change to the boats riding characteristics. But in all honesty when people actually see this 17" .12 rigger go they will really have to take a second look, I was very happy with the way it ran yesterday speed wise ( just a little vibrating bug zipping across the top of the water and hold the turn nicely). I will also try and get ahold of my club/Tom Moorehouse and see when they will be going out to the club pond, from what I understand Gary Preusse runs at this pond also................... So hopefully someone can guide me in a hands on direction the right way :)

Thanks Again

p.s. I have had the top 4 fins cut since the very first run, I need to put a hole thru the bottom of the boat too in the engine compartment.

Paul, what pond is that? You are a Summer Thunder Member? Gary runs at a few ponds. We normally run at Sundown Meadows in LaGrange, but I know Gary Runs off 83 sometimes too.

Larry Gempp Jr.

Minute Breakers Model Boat Club

Yes I think the one in la grange, I haven't been there yet but I would like to go just to try and get some hands on help with my little rigger. 83 is really close to me, at least like 83 and Devon or so is close but I will go just about anywhere I need to find someone willing to give advice :) Yes I am Summer Thunder Member :) I did talk with some from my club and it sounds like they might be going out next weekend to test, I hope so I really wanna try and get this boat tracking a little nicer. Although it is gonna be pretty fast just the way it sits and I hope I can get it somewhat hooked up. I would love to meet you out there Larry how often do you go out and test your boats? If you are going anytime soon and if ya wouldn't mind I would love to meet ya a check out your riggers, and maybe you could look at mine and go just fix that and it will be fine so please let me know if you are gonna go out soon :)

Thanks Paul

Doesn't that rod connect the turn fin to the tub? I have seen this on a few riggers, some have them and some don't? The rod that looks like a servo push rod. What is the point of this rod?

Thanks Paul

Hello Cheese,

I don't know about a servo sized rod but I have seen a few riggers that have a turn fin extended pretty far back from the right sponson and they run a larger rod (probably graphite) to keep it from bending in a high speed turn. However, I don't think this has anything to do with your problem and if it bent out to the right it would make you go left.

Don

Well since the weather has been so bad I decided to make a boat stand/starting station/tool box. I was wondering what kinda setups other might be using for these operations? My box will have multiple covers which also are stands, so for example if the micro rigger is gonna run I put that stand on the box and off I go (I do have fuel separate from the stand though). I was wondering could it be possible that my turn fin could be causing my boat to turn right just from its size, it is easily 3x bigger than my rudder?

Thanks Everyone

Paul

p.s. Soon I will have some more pics and videos. :)

This might be considered a dumb question but do they make a muffler for a .12 engine, I am using a macs pipe? Does a .12 require a muffler it really isn't that loud? I got a month or so before the first races and would like to have the boat ready to race the .21's :)

Thanks Paul

Ok, went out and ran the boat today geez............................ it was cold !!! 45° with 15mph wind so windchill was 38°, but the little boat did really good for the conditions. I didn't get no pics sorry but I did get a radar reading of 42mph, but it is pretty hard to get that when the boat is so small and I was afraid of the wind. I am hoping when I do finally get this boat broke in I will get 50mph. I did have a problem with the carb coming loose, I think I'm gonna have to use some lock-tight so the nut don't loosen? Otherwise I was happy with the run today :)

Paul

I took some more pics this morning of the boat and stand/starting station. If there is something that you see I am doing wrong I really would love to hear about it.

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?automo...=si&img=678

boat stand/starting station are to the right :)

Thank You Paul

p.s. I noticed I had some water in the radio box again, today I tear the boat apart and use a thin layer of silicon to seal everything as its mounted to the tub (does this sound like a good idea?).

Paul, how much does your boat weigh? I looked at your picture of the rigger on the digital scale but I couldn't read the numbers. I'm finishing up an old school, ancient design Dumas Lil Rascal rigger and I'm always looking for weights to compare it to. I know my boat is heavy even though I took every precaution to keep weight down :unsure: .

Paul.That turn fin its huge :blink: I said thats why that little thing wants to go to right :blink: Nick

I will go get an exact weight today, but as it sits I am guessing just a little over 2 pounds. The picture at that time of the build shows the weight at 816.9 grams, if I recall there is no receiver ,battery,on/off switch,antenna or turn fin. The receiver is 14.1 grams, I hope the battery is 75 grams or less I don't know what the other stuff weighs but 2 pounds would be 896 grams. so I will have exact weights later today :)

Paul

Paul, for your question earlier about muffling a Mac pipe, it's your lucky day somewhat. I modded a Mac pipe like what some guys are doing with the OPS 3280's but haven't had a chance to see if it works yet or not.

I drilled out the exhaust stinger just a tad to accept a piece of (I think) 9/32" brass tubing so that it would go in as far as the fat part of the pipe then JB Welded it into place.

DSCF0310.jpg

Ummmm so you are saying I should trim it down some and raise it a little too? I was told that the first bend should be about 1/16" - 1/8" below the TE of the sponson and I am about 3/8" below. Ok I am gonna modify my turn fin and see how it goes from there.

Thanks You Very Much !!!!

Paul :)

p.s. So a stinger would be consider a muffling device? Have you had a chance to test it yet, will it hinder performance?

Back