Micro Rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Under 2 lbs for a .12 riger is very light. Mine come in at about 2.25 RTR. Think about the power to weight ratio,.. Lets just say you're engine puts out 1.2 HP which is probably close. That's .6 HP / lb. That is a HUGE ratio.
That's like a car that weights a ton (2000lb) and has 1200 HP... Run a small prop... x437 will propbably be a good place to start. get it set up and running pretty well,.. then put on one of Marks awesome props too max the speed...

Cut half your cooling fins off with a band saw, then put the top of the head on a belt sander,... it'll look like a cool brushed metal look..

I wish I could find the time, money and motivation to finish my boat... I have a new .12 rigger design in progress...
Anthony , is that a newer design than the Bantam 3 that your refering too??

Last edited by a moderator:
Anthony , is that a newer design than the Bantam 3 that your refering too??

Not really,.. just a few changes to my personal boat.. How is yours running?

Hi Everyone,

Tomorrow I will be doing some test runs on the micro rigger, It is completely together now. I hope to have some fine tuning type questions for everyone, if all goes well. I did do a float test and did run the boat in a mud pan in the back yard and it was just barely floating but it did sound good and didn't sink when i pushed it under to fill the fuel and engine compartments. If the boat does sink all I can say is I tried and time to start again, but if it looks like that will happen I will be pulling it out of the water and transferring all parts to the normal .12 rigger. I just had to try my little boat I really want it to work.

Thanks Again.

Paul

Hi Everyone,
Tomorrow I will be doing some test runs on the micro rigger, It is completely together now. I hope to have some fine tuning type questions for everyone, if all goes well. I did do a float test and did run the boat in a mud pan in the back yard and it was just barely floating but it did sound good and didn't sink when i pushed it under to fill the fuel and engine compartments. If the boat does sink all I can say is I tried and time to start again, but if it looks like that will happen I will be pulling it out of the water and transferring all parts to the normal .12 rigger. I just had to try my little boat I really want it to work.

Thanks Again.

Paul
Good luck Cheese,

Work or not, you've learned a bunch about building a rigger and done as well as anyone considering the size. Next build will be much easier for you.

JUST DO IT! B)

Don ;)

Hi All,

Well tonight was my first attempt at running my Little rigger, It went ok but could have been alot better. Well first it I put the boat in the water and all it wanted to do was go in right circles so I trimmed it as much as I could with the transmitter and it straightened out, but when i brought it to shore it was actually a pretty hard left it was set at? Second the boat seam to actually pic up speed in the turns and never really got going really fast? Third on top of everything else I either lost Battery power to the receiver or it got wet and it lost all steering and it went ashore. So now I need a new rudder, thats all that broke hitting shore (actually it bent up a little didn't break :) ) . So now I will be calling Ed Hughey for a new rudder , and will be checking the receiver out hope its not toasted. Any suggestions on the problems I am experiencing please will help.

Thanks Paul

p.s. this is a link to the video : http://media.putfile.com/First-but-Bad-Run

Well after further investigation I think the receiver got wet, I have it apart and am thanking god I didn't get the $90-$100 receivers :) . I do have the receiver apart and am drying it out as I type. Hope all is ok with it, I think I will go get an extra for the just in case scenario's.

Thank Again !!!

Paul

I've seen a lot worse days for maiden run. Not bad at all.

Your receiver should be fine after it dries and there is something you can spray the insides with that will really help. I don't remember the name but somebody on this forum does. I have never had more than a drop or two in my radio box. where do you think it's comming from?

Don

Well at one point the boat was upside down in the water, that was actually the third run (but it was the best video). I am guessing the water might have come in thru the antenna or thru the antenna mount, I am sure I can fix that. The water inside was prob a teaspoon or less, my main issue was why the boat wanted to track so hard to the right, after I adjusted the trim as far left as it would go when I brought the boat in I noticed that the TE of the rudder was about 1/4" off center to the left. And why would the boat gain speed/rpms in the turns, it never really seamed to get going otherwise? If you noticed when i put the boat in the water it wanted to take off and then it slowed back down.

Thanks

Paul

Well at one point the boat was upside down in the water, that was actually the third run (but it was the best video). I am guessing the water might have come in thru the antenna or thru the antenna mount, I am sure I can fix that. The water inside was prob a teaspoon or less, my main issue was why the boat wanted to track so hard to the right, after I adjusted the trim as far left as it would go when I brought the boat in I noticed that the TE of the rudder was about 1/4" off center to the left. And why would the boat gain speed/rpms in the turns, it never really seamed to get going otherwise? If you noticed when i put the boat in the water it wanted to take off and then it slowed back down.

Thanks

Paul
Paul. Make sure your turn fin is set up ok.that will make the boat turn to the right!! about the speed it sounds like the pipe is to short, or the prop is to big. so try the pipe 1/4 longer, or raise the prop up by 1/6 @ a time.if that doesn't do it change the prop with one size smaller.. some things you play with and they get bigger... :p and some they get faster :p I think you want #2 :p ;) Nick

Thanks Nick I will check the turn fin for sure and see what happens from that point, the prop I am using is kinda small already so i am gonna look at other thinks first. Prop is a B215, so that should be ok I hope :)

Thanks Again

Paul

Hi All,

Ok, I went out tonight again sorry no video I will explain. Well I still have steering issues, but the boat hooks up now . I would be running and about half way through the tank of fuel its like the boat decides to hit a second gear and takes off. From watching my TC31 do 42mph in a straight line this think is doing at least 45mph and just flying for such a little boat. I have never actually seen a .12 rigger run in person but if I can get this to steer correctly I am hoping to hold my own with them. But when it hits this speed its even harder to keep going straight, I am actually steering left to go straight. I gotta figure out a water proof radio box issue, the receiver in a rubber sleeve wont work I don't have room for the bunched rubber on both ends (it interferes with my on/off switch and forces the cover open ). About video :) well my wife didn't want to go tonight so I tried to have my father in law film for me ................. long story short I got 1 pic and 1 sec video of water. So as soon as its nice enough to run again I will have some more issues resolved and try again.

Paul

Please Help,

Ok the steering issues I am having, I tried holding a straight edge against the turn fin and making the distance from the front of the boat to the straight edge to the rear of the boat to the straight edge the same, but that didn't help. With the boat wanting to turn right typically if the turn fin is off which way would it be off to turn right? At first it was about 1/16" off front of the boat to the rear measuring to the straight edge from the tub, the front was closer. I tried bending it to correct this and I see no improvement?

Speed ? Why does the boat pick up alot of speed at approximately half way thru the tank? its like the boat jumps on the pipe and jumps hard. I have noticed the pressure line is not really that secure and it is leaking a little, I get like fuel/oil drops from it on the radio box lid which is rather sucky for taping too. I will change that hose tonight.

Thanks Everyone, You all are the reason I am doing as good as I am. I am really happy with my little boat right now, just need to get these little issues resolved and I am good to go.

Paul

Hey Paul I'll try again... Some times the prop will make the boat turn also. try a 1400 series prop, or a x prop. maybe Mark will shine in and tell us? :p About the boat gaining speed at half tank is the weight change. I still think a smaller prop will do the trick.. by the way.this the way you check the turn fin https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...=140&uid=62 and left to right.Nick

Thanks I will check the info on checking turn fin, about weight I not sure fuel weight is an issue I only have a 2oz tank? Could I be getting a pressure change at about half tank?

Thank You Paul

Thank You for your advice everyone,

I need to get a newer video to show, the video I have posted is a very slow moving boat. The boat is traveling 2x faster, I also will try and weigh the boat tonight with everything the way it sits going into the water (with and without fuel) I am guessing just a hair over 2lbs. I really cant run today, winds are 20-40mph today and expected flurries and for and for the next four days 3 days are expected flurries (tomorrow though if not to windy will try (sunny day)). I did do alot of tweaking to the turn fin at the pond yesterday and didn't notice any change to the boats riding characteristics. But in all honesty when people actually see this 17" .12 rigger go they will really have to take a second look, I was very happy with the way it ran yesterday speed wise ( just a little vibrating bug zipping across the top of the water and hold the turn nicely). I will also try and get ahold of my club/Tom Moorehouse and see when they will be going out to the club pond, from what I understand Gary Preusse runs at this pond also................... So hopefully someone can guide me in a hands on direction the right way :)

Thanks Again

p.s. I have had the top 4 fins cut since the very first run, I need to put a hole thru the bottom of the boat too in the engine compartment.

I would go to an x437. That should be a pretty easy prop to turn. Once you can get it going straight and running constantly you can go to a 1440, maybe back cut and cupped a little. Should be a rocket...

How sharp is the prop? A dull prop will also cause prop walk. Thinned and sharpened blades also help the RPM and top speed. Once you are able to shave your arm with the prop leading edge, it is just about right..... ;)

To align the turnfin, lightly clamp a straight 12" piece of square tubing to the inside of the fin, and align it parallel to the bottom surface of the tub. You can then measure the distance from the tube to the tub at the front and rear end of the tube.

Last edited by a moderator:
How sharp is the prop? A dull prop will also cause prop walk. THinned and sharpened blades also help the RPM and top speed. Once you are able to shave your arm with the prop leading edge, it is just about right..... ;)

Back