Micro Rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Merry Christmas................. I am happy now, I got a $50 gift card to the lhs that going towards my new radio :)

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I started doing some painting, it will be just a pretty basic paint scheme(its not done yet). But I did takes some pics of some weights of tub and full boat -radio gear and turn fin.

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?automo...=si&img=175

Thanks Again Everyone for all the Help you all have given me !!!

Paul

p.s. Im not done yet lol..................im still gonna need more help :)

Could someone please answer this question, I know I am not using the best products to begin with but I am on sorta a budget. I am using a model enamel paint and when I tried to spray a crystal clear lustrekote on top of it the enamel started melting? Do I need to use a lustrekote color instead of the enamel?

Please help, Thank You Paul

Hi All,

I'm still plugging away at this build not gonna give up. I bought some servos, a HS-85MG for the rudder and a HS-55 for the throttle. I was told that these servos are to small to secure with servo tape. So I am making a little blocked in holder for them, it is 2 5/8" x 1 1/8" I was hoping I could servo tape this in the tub(otherwise I think I will have to mount thru the bottom of the tub(I don't wanna do that in the radio box though))??? What size servos are taped in? Please .............Pritty Please Help.

Thanks Paul

After thinking about this I do have one more option, I can put blind nuts on the bottom side of the blocked board and then epoxy that into the bottom of the tub? If servo tape will work I would like to try that?

Hi All,

I'm still plugging away at this build not gonna give up. I bought some servos, a HS-85MG for the rudder and a HS-55 for the throttle. I was told that these servos are to small to secure with servo tape. So I am making a little blocked in holder for them, it is 2 5/8" x 1 1/8" I was hoping I could servo tape this in the tub(otherwise I think I will have to mount thru the bottom of the tub(I don't wanna do that in the radio box though))??? What size servos are taped in? Please .............Pritty Please Help.

Thanks Paul

After thinking about this I do have one more option, I can put blind nuts on the bottom side of the blocked board and then epoxy that into the bottom of the tub? If servo tape will work I would like to try that?

This is the servo mount , does it look like it will work? I still need to trim the screws but otherwise I think its good, servos are very solid in the mounts. The only reason I have only 2 screws is where the 3rd screw would mount I cant get to that once the mount is installed( its all the way up against the transom). Now the question is do I epoxy this in the tub or can I servo tape it in?

Thanks Paul

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?automo...=si&img=189

Well I did a float test this morning, the boat failed this test. I think before I give up on this tub I will try and make bigger rear sponsons. I have looked at some pics of other riggers and it looks like the rear sponson are each almost half as wide as the tub? In my case my rear sponsons are about half as wide as the tub together. The front seams to hold well but the rear end wants to go under, and slowly pulls the rest of the boat down. One good thing is the radio box was water tight.

Thanks Paul

If anyone has some ideas on how to help my buoyancy prob please help. :)

Tub length from transom to tip of balsa nose 16 1/2 (nose is 3/4) tub width 1 15/16 inside 2 3/16 outside, radio boxes is 15/16 deep and 6 1/2 long.

Paul, I'm afraid that the tub is simply too small to hold the weight of everything. Mine is 24" long, 3" wide and about 1-1/2" high which floats well.

So do ya think I would be wasting time trying to make this work? I guess I could start the build over ...........ugh lol :)

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?automo...=si&img=196

The good things would be it should float the first time, and I have almost everything I need to set it up again, I could get a bigger tank so I know It would run for atleast five minutes. Thanks for your honesty Ron.

Thanks Paul

:)

If that will be the case it will be a back burner project for me, the .12 is my priority I gotta have it running for spring :)

Thanks Again so Very Much :)

Paul

Well I made new rear sponsons, after preliminary tests the boat is floating. I need to put another coat of epoxy on the outsides and then I will do another test , the second test I will add the 100 grams for battery weight and receiver weight. The way it sits in the water now comes just to the top of the rear sponsons. I could also try and make a center sponson like the "eagle sgx". Here is a pic of the new rear sponsons next to the old ones.

Thanks for the Help

Paul

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?automo...=si&img=198

Remember it should float with the radio box full of water..... it can happen!

Well I made new rear sponsons, after preliminary tests the boat is floating. I need to put another coat of epoxy on the outsides and then I will do another test , the second test I will add the 100 grams for battery weight and receiver weight. The way it sits in the water now comes just to the top of the rear sponsons. I could also try and make a center sponson like the "eagle sgx". Here is a pic of the new rear sponsons next to the old ones.

Thanks for the Help

Paul

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?automo...=si&img=198

Lol ok ok burst my bubble I almost thought I had a glimmer of hope there..............lol. Well ya know once everything is in the radio box there really isnt any room for water :) Ya cant blame me for trying to make it work :) I was still gonna go with the full size .12 but I was just trying :) I am still considering putting a 3rd sponson over the stuffing tube like the eagle sgx or Don T's rigger.

Paul

Well I went to watch the Bears win today and also weighed my mini rigger with everything mounted not including (battery, receiver and turn fin) Total weight right now is 816.9 grams . I am hoping with the rest of what I need I will come in at just about 2lbs total weight. Is 2lbs a lite .12 rigger?

Thanks Paul

p.s 2lbs = 896 grams

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?automo...=si&img=266

Hey there gooycheese that is turning out to be a nice looking little rigger looks like it has the potential to really fly. Great job 2 thumbs up I just hope that the two outriggers I am working on will turn out as well. Dave

Under 2 lbs for a .12 riger is very light. Mine come in at about 2.25 RTR. Think about the power to weight ratio,.. Lets just say you're engine puts out 1.2 HP which is probably close. That's .6 HP / lb. That is a HUGE ratio.

That's like a car that weights a ton (2000lb) and has 1200 HP... Run a small prop... x437 will propbably be a good place to start. get it set up and running pretty well,.. then put on one of Marks awesome props too max the speed...

Cut half your cooling fins off with a band saw, then put the top of the head on a belt sander,... it'll look like a cool brushed metal look..

I wish I could find the time, money and motivation to finish my boat... I have a new .12 rigger design in progress...

Thanks :) , the money thing now is slowing me a little but I am gonna keep pushing along. I really wanna try racing, even if I can only race at like a fun run I wanna do it.

Paul

I was gonna try a b215 that should be ok to start with?

Back