7 port Nr and stock carb. Question.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im tellin ya rod,,, you wont turn back,,,, and guess what,,,,,,,, do i even dare say this in public,,, :lol: ..... the new run of tt carb is just as good if not better than the 20j.... oh boy im gonna catch a rash of sh^^^^^ for this one.. :lol: :lol: :lol: .... rodney what engine do you need it for????? the tt??? or the go??

ill tell you what bro,,, grab a new tt carby for the tt.... its still bone stock equipment... ;) ;) ;) you will see a difference,, i promise you...... :ph34r:

yes,,, i will pm you as i dont want to hijack terry's thread anymore than i have already........ i apoligize terry......

alden

Mike S,You will be beating me soon....

Robin, thanks for the kind words and i was being complimentary.

Alden i have a few carbs here the same more as the Nr carb I could try..Are you interested in any vegas stuff like cables, liners, headers pipes , mulk .150 cable and stub shafts etc??I have some stuff here i would sell cheap mostly if not all new...lmk or send me a PM and I could bring it with me..

for sure bring it all,,,ill most likely snap it up for sure terry....ummm not sure of your situation,,,but,,,if you wanna try a 20j during open water i will bring one...and if you like it,,use it till the end of the day...if i leave early,,,just send it back when u get back home....i think its the carb to try my man...

alden

I will bring the stuff.Thanks for the offer.I have a 20 J here that i could try sometime but running out of boating season quickly...lol....

I forget what it was a couple years back that i tried the 20J and it too suffered noticabily in the top end .i was surprised to here this as an option so I may try it if time permits.No testing today as it is too windy.

Well Guys i got out today for a couple quick runs as it was windy.The stock carb did exactly as glenn had told me Might happen.When i tried to transition from WOT down to slow and then back up the motor quite and the plug was gone.It got to lean .I had a nice long chat with glenn and I have decided to cut off the LSN and the spray bar at the HSN side of the opening and use the NR remote mixing setup since i already have the new linkage and side of the boat cut to accept it....lol..he felt these mods should work fine.

Well guys I tried it and know i know the answer and Brian S. you have your answer..

I will get back to you guys afte next test session or race with some results..

I will try and keep this short.The stock carb with the lsn cut off and the spay bar almost all cut off and thring to leave the hsn and the mixture valve assemble(nit sure what to call it) on the hsn did not work too well for me.It started well launched well and pulled fine but not real fast and would go rich because the HSN was moving rotating on me(maybe from vibrating.It was getting dark and this was my last chance to get out before saturdays race so i did not mess with it anymore.maybe the o rings were bad or something.I did a crb swap and tried a mc9 plug which i had been corious about as well and man that thing went better than ever.

Tim was correct and I am going to stick with my original equipment.Testing is how we learn and i will try some other things at a later time .

The carb that glenn modded works fine so i will do the same to the one That I have started to mod and I found out the motor likes mccoy 9's and came up to a nice temp without going lean.

Thanks guys

I don't know if better because i had no hot plugs to try.It was nice and cool tonight and the air was dense and it went well is all I know....It will probably not run that well race day..lol...I am very glad it likes these plugs because i have plenty of blues and mcoy #9's

The stock configuration of the Nova carb takes up too much real estate for most installations. All mine are gutted,and they work great. I run inline or remote needles on all my boats except the one that has an OS XM outboard on it. CMB and Mac carbs on my CMB's and Mac's and they run great...Even better if you let Rod Geraghty flow them. I ran a D&J on the 35+ in my Phil Thomas Super Sport .21 because the carb body is very small and the installation is very tight with a 180 degree header. That carb worked awesome on that boat/engine combination. I have tried the Zoom on several engines and they work very well. Frank Orlic's carbs are available with several different bore sizes and they also work extremely well.

Thanks everone .My testing last night would indicate that I am heading in the righ direction now and there was no advantage found by me trying to use the stock carb.I should have stuck with what i had.

I also learned how valuable the flow meter is in trouble shooting problems as well as setting needles.

I will mod the stock carb and maybe pick up another aftermarket carb in the future.

Hey Terry

Was a lot of fun hangin with you last weekend.

In the past people went to after market carbs mainly because of poor design and or to small of a bore size.

Most carbs today are very good with only a minor mod to them they work great , some need nothing at all.

On my 7 port I have tried four different carbs , an Orlic , stock Nova, D&J and a Nova modified by Mr Wood.

I would have to say that the Nova mod is as good as any of them and the best part is it comes with the engine.

You watched my boat last weekend and know that its not the fastest out there but it's not slow either.

I don't have any problems starting the engine or keeping it running , Now buoy's are another story LOL.

I think once you get the needle a little closer alot of your start up problems will go away , but I also think that teasting to see the results yourself is more important than anything , thats how we learn.

Tim K
Sometimes when you make a mistake you have to go back and correct it.

I decided to re-test the Orlic carb on my B- Hydro (i have been running a modified stock ) and all I can say is im glad I did .

Shortly after I orginally tested it I had a bearing issue and never thought to try it again , never putting the two things together.

Starting the engine was easier and the engine idled better than it ever has , but the most impressive thing was how the boat reacted from off pipe to full speed .

The transition was absolutely amazing and the top speed was very good .

Safe to say it's staying on the boat .

Tim K

I run the os 20j carb on my nova 7-port and it seems to be plenty of carb. It transitions well, starts easy, and runs very consistently.

Back