2017 OPS .45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here flexible cable was very common in the past also in big engines like .90 and .67 now only solid axle due to easy broken cable and lost propellers. Very few still uses flexdriv only for outboard cause impossible to use different solution, otherwise only direct drive or reduction box with solid axle. "
funny, I suppose this is why the engine is supplied with an old-school hex-coupler drive nut for solid-shaft use ?

here flexible cable was very common in the past also in big engines like .90 and .67 now only solid axle due to easy broken cable and lost propellers. Very few still uses flexdriv only for outboard cause impossible to use different solution, otherwise only direct drive or reduction box with solid axle. "
funny, I suppose this is why the engine is supplied with an old-school hex-coupler drive nut for solid-shaft use ?
LOL!... s'posin' so, Dave!

You know, the importer of these engines is a really nice guy- prides himself in quality service and customer care. I haven't seen this in our hobby in many, many years.

With that said, he lacks knowledge of either rc boat racing, or perhaps 2 cycle glow engines. Either way, I'm going to order one of these engines solely based on the sources

customer care, parts availability, and the input that you and Mike have offered up.

For me, this has been a great thread.

Thanks!

LOL!... s'posin' so, Dave!

You know, the importer of these engines is a really nice guy- prides himself in quality service and customer care. I haven't seen this in our hobby in many, many years.

With that said, he lacks knowledge of either rc boat racing, or perhaps 2 cycle glow engines. Either way, I'm going to order one of these engines solely based on the sources

customer care, parts availability, and the input that you and Mike have offered up.

For me, this has been a great thread.

Thanks!
I want to be clear that I provided the data on the motor and that I am in no way promoting this as the next best thing. I have not tested it yet.

Here's a hint, If it was that good, don't you think that it would have been in one of our 40 boats already. This motor looks like it has some potential, but it will need a little work to get there.

One of the bad things I found was that the Flywheel ran out .020" (.5mill). I have been waiting to get a good flywheel cone from them to replace the bad one. The replacement came and it was the 7mm style for the old engine. Make sure your flywheel does not run out or you will probably snap the crank.

Okay, so I aquired a few brand-new O.S. Max .21 (Model No. 4C) marine flywheels. They are well made, and run very true. These flywheels feature a front face that is significantly countersunk, creating an"overhang" outer-rim, making things a little messy to access for servicing (wrench room).

I also aquired a few Aeromarine Flex Coupler's (O.S. .21 X .187). Aeromarine couplers are well-designed. Although I noticed the hex-nut base portion was a little too long I feel (I guess purposely designed to extend outward from the O.S. 4C flywheel outer-rim). This caused the complete flywheel/coupler assy to uneccessarily extend outward much longer than I prefer.

Consequently I sent all the brand-new O.S. flywheels and flex couplers to Aeromarine factory. Remy (c/o Aeromarine) was able to custom-mod all flywheels and flex couplers to my liking. The O.S. flywheel front face are now surfaced (reduced approx. 6mm), so there is essentially no overhang. And the flex coupler base hex-nut units were replaced with slightly larger diameter (and slightly shorter) base unit's, providing a more optimum fit onto the front face of the flywheel. Now the flywheel/flex coupler assy runs clean & true. Extends less outward (or forward).

I would recommend this set-up as a solid solution to the stock flywheel/collet assy supplied on the new 2017 OPS .45 Marine engine. The O.S. .21 flywheel (No. 4C) availability are somewhat sparse (I found a few brand-new items on eBay).

Thanks to Remy for his help with mod's.

OPS_.45Marine_No.1_ModdedO.S.Flywheel&AeromarineCollet_Aug2017_03.jpg

OPS_.45Marine_No.1_ModdedO.S.Flywheel&AeromarineCollet_Aug2017_10.jpg

OPS_.45Marine_No.1_ModdedO.S.Flywheel&AeromarineCollet_Aug2017_08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so I aquired a few brand-new O.S. Max .21 (Model No. 4C) marine flywheels. They are well made, and run very true. These flywheels feature a front face that is significantly countersunk, creating an"overhang" outer-rim, making things a little messy to access for servicing (wrench room).

I also aquired a few Aeromarine Flex Coupler's (O.S. .21 X .187). Aeromarine couplers are well-designed. Although I noticed the hex-nut base portion was a little too long I feel (I guess purposely designed to extend outward from the O.S. 4C flywheel outer-rim). This caused the complete flywheel/coupler assy to uneccessarily extend outward much longer than I prefer.

Consequently I sent all the brand-new O.S. flywheels and flex couplers to Aeromarine factory. Remy (c/o Aeromarine) was able to custom-mod all flywheels and flex couplers to my liking. The O.S. flywheel front face are now surfaced (reduced approx. 6mm), so there is essentially no overhang. And the flex coupler base hex-nut units were replaced with slightly larger diameter (and slightly shorter) base unit's, providing a more optimum fit onto the front face of the flywheel. Now the flywheel/flex coupler assy runs clean & true. Extends less outward (or forward).

I would recommend this set-up as a solid solution to the stock flywheel/collet assy on the new 2017 OPS .45 Marine engine.
Great job, Dave!... so, the 4C's are readily available, and they come with the correct split cones?...

Is it fair to assume that the larger/ shorter coupler hex bases are regular stock items at Aeromarine?...

What's Remy charging to face the flywheels, and can he supply them?...

Thanks-

Tim

Okay, so I aquired a few brand-new O.S. Max .21 (Model No. 4C) marine flywheels. They are well made, and run very true. These flywheels feature a front face that is significantly countersunk, creating an"overhang" outer-rim, making things a little messy to access for servicing (wrench room), which I did not like.

I would recommend this set-up as a solid solution to the stock flywheel/collet assy on the new 2017 OPS .45 Marine engine.
Great job, Dave!... so, the 4C's are readily available, and they come with the correct split cones?...

Is it fair to assume that the larger/ shorter coupler hex bases are regular stock items at Aeromarine?...

Thanks-

Tim
The O.S. .21 flywheel (No. 4C) availability are somewhat sparse (I found a few brand-new items on eBay). Found this outlet as well:

https://www.funrcboats.com/ProductDetails/OSM71802030

Contact Remy at Aeromarine in regards to purchasing updated O.S. Max .21 Flex Collet for use on the new 2017 OPS .45 Marine, he should know which part to send (also details on flywheel mod's):

https://aeromarinercboats.com/collections/drive-hardware/products/nitro-flex-collets

Okay, so I aquired a few brand-new O.S. Max .21 (Model No. 4C) marine flywheels. They are well made, and run very true. These flywheels feature a front face that is significantly countersunk, creating an"overhang" outer-rim, making things a little messy to access for servicing (wrench room), which I did not like.

Thanks-

Tim
The O.S. .21 flywheel (No. 4C) availability are somewhat sparse (I found a few brand-new items on eBay). Found this outlet as well:

https://www.funrcboats.com/ProductDetails/OSM71802030

Contact Remy at Aeromarine in regards to purchasing updated O.S. Max .21 Flex Collet for use on the new 2017 OPS .45 Marine, he should know which part to send (also details on flywheel mod's):

https://aeromarinercboats.com/collections/drive-hardware/products/nitro-flex-collets
OK, great... thanks for all of the info, David.

Can't wait to hear your report on the engine's performance.

Thanks-

Tim

I have not had a chance to run yet. Maybe this fall. It's been a much busier summer than I expected.
Dang it!...knew there was something we forgot to ask you about at HydroFest, Mike!...

Oh well, we'll just wait for your report here.
default_smile.png

Thanks-

Tim

Back