Glow plug recommendations for NR 7 port.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

Guys what are you having good luck with for glow plugs.It is a Modded 7 port NR with the woods cooper pipe, 50% wildcat and sholund 1450 reduced to 45-46mm and is in a JAE 21.

Terry,

OD-99's are the best for my motors and set up.

Try a few different plugs and see what works the best for you.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Hi Terry ..... I dont have the 7 port but do run the 5 port and burn 50% wildcat also ... And I use the Odonnell 89's ..... Awsome plug !!! Hope that helps ... By the way the DeWalt sport 20 is running strong :)

since nobody agrees so far, i run od-9's in all my .21's on wildcat 65%. longest lasting plug i have ever run, i have run 1 plug for 3 race weekends & a couple of test sessions. changed it because i thought i should. used it some more later, still ran & started great.

since nobody agrees so far, i run od-9's in all my .21's on wildcat 65%. longest lasting plug i have ever run, i have run 1 plug for 3 race weekends & a couple of test sessions. changed it because i thought i should. used it some more later, still ran & started great.
Agreed 100%, amazing plug.

Tim K

Bump your nitro content up. Running that poor little .21 on 50% is like driving around in your car with the parking brake set.If you are running standard plugs K&B 1L,OD 77, MC59. OD9's are also highly rated. I never could find any in stock anywhere so I haven't tried them. I'm currently switching my .21's that I can get head inserts for over to turbo plugs,but haven't settled on a plug I like best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys where do you get the OD-9's.

Larry,50% is fine for what I am doing and longer engine life and user friendliness.I seem to be doing pretty well with mine except the last race and a half when i chased a problem of having dirt in the needle valve assembly ...lol...Some guys say stay with 50 some say go to 65...I may try it sometime.

I went out tonight for a little testing and it seemed to really like the Mcoy 9.I had really good throttle ability and good top end.check my other thread for the details...lol

I don't know where the engine life myth about nitro content started by I know a few guys down in Iowa that blow up engines on a regular basis and they swear by 45% and less nitro.My theory is they must be leaning on the needles trying to get more performance. I run my needles fat. I change my bearings regularly, and connecting rods if they develop unwanted play. I flush the fuel out of my engines and flood them with air tool oil when I'm done running them, while still at the pond, and I run 60 and 70% fuel in my .21's. I have a lot of spare engines that have never seen fuel because my main engines are still running strong, many with well over 5 gallons of fuel through them. Run what you feel comfortable with, they are your boats.

terry, right now, contact o'donnell for o'donnell plugs. phil's hobby shop may still be carrying them, but for whatever reason, o'donnell seems to have taken over the selling of their plugs.........

Guys is it possible because I am only running the 50% nitro that the Mccoy 9 seemed to work well.I will test more when I have a chance to verify that they do indeed work well.I was testing blue dots from odonnell as well and in the process of changing carbs and getting that worked out i stuck a mccoy in the motor and it went well and i never went back to try the blue after the carb change so they should work well too is what I am thinking.

I guess i should just test and not ask so many questions...

Mcoy MC 9 is a great plug in many different engines on any percentage nitro . i have been running them forever but they are pricey and sometimes you get a dud . just keep running the boat with what you have and don't jump around while changing other things because they all needle differently .

Guys is it possible because I am only running the 50% nitro that the Mccoy 9 seemed to work well.I will test more when I have a chance to verify that they do indeed work well.I was testing blue dots from odonnell as well and in the process of changing carbs and getting that worked out i stuck a mccoy in the motor and it went well and i never went back to try the blue after the carb change so they should work well too is what I am thinking.

I guess i should just test and not ask so many questions...
Terry,

I have tried the MC-9, OD-9, OD-99 and the OD Blues in my NR21's. The MC-9 seem to work best for me and my needs. Tried many different props, pipe and combinations and the MC-9 just works better. I do not have any OD-88's or 89's to try. But a club member tried the OD-89's and were popping them. I suspect he has an engine issue causing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy this is good news since i have 6-8 cards of the McCoy #9's.I have some 1L's on order and i will compare next season.I know what has been said about the small element in the 1L the break fairly often.

Latest posts

Back