2017 OPS .45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Allan!!

You say 12mm carb is to large??

How many have not run MAC or CMB with 12mm carb?

Why not test it as is and see how it works?

Just my thought.

Yes, i run my CMB 90 also with 12mm and that works good.

I also run 12mm on my tether car 5cc Engines so what is big??

On a 1,5cc tether car Engine i use 7,3mm. THAT is big
default_smile.png

I agree that it`s nice to see a new engine on the market. Happens not so often.

Update with how it runns.

Oh, thank`s Mike for all the info also!!

Anders
Reason our mountian zone at 3200' elevation high level Engine 7.5cc (.45) won't work too big 12mm and easy quit run offer so changed down size bore better 11mm and run better much . Thats why !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Allan!!

You say 12mm carb is to large??

How many have not run MAC or CMB with 12mm carb?

Why not test it as is and see how it works?

Just my thought.

Yes, i run my CMB 90 also with 12mm and that works good.

I also run 12mm on my tether car 5cc Engines so what is big??

On a 1,5cc tether car Engine i use 7,3mm. THAT is big
default_smile.png

I agree that it`s nice to see a new engine on the market. Happens not so often.

Update with how it runns.

Oh, thank`s Mike for all the info also!!

Anders
hi, i think why allan said he was going to a 11mm carb is that a 12mm=.472 is a bit large for a heat racing boat.yes
more stable needle settings?

I received an order of 02-quan "2017" OPS .45 Marine engines a week ago. One immediate noticeable (cosmetic) detail/difference is the red-colored anodized water-cooled head (replacing the blue color used on the first shipment), I like it.

Overall fit-and-finish of this engine is mostly good. Although there are a few "oddities" (if you can call them that):

1. As mentioned by Mike Betke, the crankshaft thread is 1/4-28, however the front journal OD = 8.00mm (as shown in image No. 8, below)

2. The stock flywheel is equivalent in dimensions, or the same part No., as the OEM part used on the original 1980's legacy OPS .45 marine (as shown in image No. 1, below). Only the collet (cone) is updated/machined to fit the 8mm crankshaft journal. Not proper enough thread length remaining (for coupler) upon installing the flywheel (as shown in image No. 6, below). Although it does work using the Octura Flex Hex (OCFHO4518) from a vintage OPS .45 , the coupler hex portion threads into the recess of the flywheel- but not deep enough (as shown in image No. 4 & 6, below).

I noticed on another web-site where it was suggested to use the OS Max 4C Flywheel assy (Part No. 71804020, used on OS Max .46 VX-M), with some minor machining. So I purchased 02-quan OS Max No. 4C flywheel kits. They appear to fit very well (as shown in image No. 5 & 9, below), just need to use the proper Octura Flex Hex (OCFHOS46) to confirm completely.

3. Noticed the overall width of crankcase (measuring across outside edge-to-outside edge of engine mounting lugs) appears to have been closely machined, or finished, slightly too narrow, possibly compromizing the mounting holes- ie. there is very minimal wall thickness on outside edge of mounting lug bolt holes, barely 1mm wall thickness (as shown in image No. 7, below). The counterbore radius (on top-side of mounting lugs), for each mounting hole, is slightly cut-off on the outer-edges. Have never seen this happen before.

4. I purchased the new "2017" OPS .45 Marine Exhaust Header (OPS Part No. 574480), very nice fit (as shown in image No. 5 & 9, below).

5. "2017" OPS .45 Marine with stock carb installed, as recieved (as shown in image No. 1, 2 & 3, below)

Have'nt had a chance yet to disassemble it, but I plan to in the next few days to take basic dimensions of components. Here are a few intial hi-rez images I had taken.

OPS_.45Marine-2017_No.1_June2017_01.jpg

OPS_.45Marine-2017_No.1_June2017_04.jpg

OPS_.45Marine-2017_No.1_May2017_02.jpg

OPS_.45Marine-2017_No.1_May2017_06.jpg

OPS_.45Marine-2017_No.1_May2017_11.jpg

OPS_.45Marine-2017_No.1_June2017_12.jpg

OPS_.45Marine-2017_No.1_June2017_13.jpg

OPS_.45Marine-2017_No.1_June2017_07.jpg

OPS_.45Marine-2017_No.1_June2017_14.jpg

CMB flywheel assembly will bolt right on with no machining.

Thanks for the octura part#. I've been looking for that.
Thanks for the heads-up on the CMB flywheel, it may provide a better "fit" for the new OPS .45 .

The Octura Flex Hex Part No. (OCFHOS46) is for use with the OS .46 flywheel/engine (but I believe the flex hex coupler flange is machined to fit the front recess ID of the OS flywheel). It is 1/4-28 of course as well.

The Octura Flex Hex, Part No. OCFHO4518, shown in the above post (image No. 4) was used on a vintage OPS .45 Marine, and installed on the new "2017" OPS .45 marine (with new OPS .45 flywheel), as a test.

Thanks for the heads-up on the CMB flywheel, it may provide a better "fit" for the new OPS .45 .

The Octura Flex Hex Part No. (OCFHOS46) is for use with the OS .46 flywheel/engine (but I believe the flex hex coupler flange is machined to fit the front recess ID of the OS flywheel). It is 1/4-28 of course as well.

The Octura Flex Hex, Part No. OCFHO4518, shown in the above post (image No. 4) was used on a vintage OPS .45 Marine, and installed on the new "2017" OPS .45 marine (with new OPS .45 flywheel), as a test.
My mistake, I checked last night and the CMB flywheel I had was cut down in the front to clear a motor mount, so a stock CMB flywheel will not mount straight on without machining it down on the front to clear the crankcase. Sorry about that.

Thanks for all of the research, Mike and David... So, David, is it your opinion that the Octura OCFH04518 has enough thread engagement on the new '2017' OPS 45 to

work effectively?...

I noticed you mentioned 'as a test'... Is that Octura piece still available?...

I'm in the market for a new 45 for a rigger build at present and have serious interest in this engine.

Thanks.

Thanks for all of the research, Mike and David... So, David, is it your opinion that the Octura OCFH04518 has enough thread engagement on the new '2017' OPS 45 to

work effectively?...

I'm in the market for a new 45 for a rigger build at present and have serious interest in this engine.

Thanks.
Unless OPS has done major changes to the timing and ports I don't see it competeing against a CMB or a Nova.

If it's the price, for a little more you can get a A/A 45 from Al Hobbs.

I really do hope this motor performs because for the price it's a good deal.

work effectively?...

Thanks.
Unless OPS has done major changes to the timing and ports I don't see it competeing against a CMB or a Nova.

If it's the price, for a little more you can get a A/A 45 from Al Hobbs.

. All the timing numbers are posted on the beginning of this thread.

work effectively?...

Thanks.
Unless OPS has done major changes to the timing and ports I don't see it competeing against a CMB or a Nova. If it's the price, for a little more you can get a A/A 45 from Al Hobbs.

. All the timing numbers are posted on the beginning of this thread.
Sure is.

I don't know the timing numbers of the older OPS.

work effectively?...

Thanks.
Thanks Tim:

Yes, the Octura Flex Hex Part No. OCFHO4518 (legacy OPS .45 Marine) does fit the new "2017" OPS .45 Marine, as I explain above, and it is still available directly from Octura. However, because of the differences in crankshaft length dimensions, the hex portion of the coupler only threads onto the threaded portion and the flywheel internal recess approx 1/4 inch (.250). I would prefer 3/8 inch minimum. Consequently the flywheel face should be machined maybe 1/8 inch I'm thinking.

Otherwise I plan to research the OS 4C flywheel further once I get the other Octura Flex Hex Part No. OCFHOS46 .

I also know that the flywheel assy from the "2011" version Picco P45R Marine (blue-head/black case) will fit this new OPS .45 Marine, no problem. it's just finding one.

Dave

work effectively?...

Thanks.
Thanks Tim:

Yes, the Octura Flex Hex Part No. OCFHO4518 (legacy OPS .45 Marine) does fit the new "2017" OPS .45 Marine, as I explain above, and it is still available directly from Octura. However, because of the differences in crankshaft length dimensions the hex portion of the coupler only threads onto the threaded portion and flywheel approx 1/4 inch (.250). I would prefer 3/8 inch minimum. Consequently the flywheel face should be machined maybe 1/8 inch I'm thinking.

Otherwise I plan to research the OS 4C flywheel further once I get the other Octura Flex Hex Part No. OCFHOS46 .

I also know that the flywheel assy from the "2011" version Picco P45R Marine (blue-head/black case) will fit this new OPS .45 Marine, no problem. it's just finding one.

Dave
Great, Dave...thanks for that...

So, now the question becomes is there enough material to face off an 1/8" from flywheel...

I see Aeromarine's site is back up and running. They offer one of their collets for an OPS 45 x .187-

https://aeromarinercboats.com/collections/marine-hardware/products/nitro-flex-collets?variant=31624940548

Look forward to the results of your further research. I've contacted the source of the OPS engines and attempted to explain the anomaly presented, even referencing this thread.

We were told they would pass the information along to OPS.

Again, thanks-

tim

work effectively?...

Thanks.
Thanks Tim:

Yes, the Octura Flex Hex Part No. OCFHO4518 (legacy OPS .45 Marine) does fit the new "2017" OPS .45 Marine, as I explain above, and it is still available directly from Octura. However, because of the differences in crankshaft length dimensions the hex portion of the coupler only threads onto the threaded portion and flywheel approx 1/4 inch (.250). I would prefer 3/8 inch minimum. Consequently the flywheel face should be machined maybe 1/8 inch I'm thinking.

Dave

So, now the question becomes is there enough material to face off an 1/8" from flywheel...

I see Aeromarine's site is back up and running. They offer one of their collets for an OPS 45 x .187-

https://aeromarinercboats.com/collections/marine-hardware/products/nitro-flex-collets?variant=31624940548

Look forward to the results of your further research. I've contacted the source of the OPS engines and attempted to explain the anomaly presented, even referencing this thread.

Again, thanks-

tim
I will get back with detailed measurement's of the stock "2017" OPS .45 marine flywheel.

Good to know the Aeromarine collets are still available (I was'nt aware of this), they make a better coupler product, I believe.

work effectively?...

Thanks.
Thanks Tim:

Dave

Again, thanks-

tim
I will get back with detailed measurement's of the stock "2017" OPS .45 marine flywheel.

Good to know the Aeromarine collets are still available (I was'nt aware of this), they make a better coupler product, I believe.
Great, Dave...sure appreciated... in my opinion, I've run with 1/4" thread engagement on even bigger engines- clean threads, blue Loctite.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the material thickness is from the flywheel face to opposing surface inside of 'cone'.

There are OS Max #4C flywheels available- from $30-$45- out there. If it's a direct fit to the OPS 45 that would probably be the cost effective way to go.

Agreed on the Aeromarine collet.

Sure appreciate the time you're putting into this- thanks!

tim

Just received an email from the US importer of OPS engines. He had contacted OPS regarding the flywheel/flex collet interface. Frankly, I find OPS's response

comical. Here is the OPS response as sent to me-

"No info about Shaft or flex cable, normally in a kit of boat is included or suggested the proper dimensions. If I remember well it must be not under 5mm diameter, perhaps 6mm is the best. Please take these info like a suggestion cause I do not know really what is possible to use for each boat. Most depend also from how far is the motor to the propeller and from propeller dimensions: bigger is propeller bigger diameter must be the cable or it will break easily.

Fortunately the modes are passing quickly, here flexible cable was very common in the past also in big engines like .90 and .67 now only solid axle due to easy broken cable and lost propellers. Very few still uses flexdriv only for outboard cause impossible to use different solution, otherwise only direct drive or reduction box with solid axle. "

Broken English is the Italian's- not mine.

tim

Back