7 port Nr and stock carb. Question.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gill that looks easy enough to do and i have the parts here I beleive but that setup has no remote needle valve so you can adjust after the launch correct ?

I like the fact the lsn is still intact and functional and the carb is not just a fuel dump.with the os mod did you just loctite the lsn in the fully closed position and cut it off flush with the nut that locs the carb arm down ??

This is how I did my stock carb back in the day before I went to after market Carbs. I took out the Highend needle adjustment and sealed it up. Then I cut off the low end adjustment, and use an O.S. needle valve. Work good, the reason way I went to an after market carb is because I can fine tune the Dia of the throat, whereas with a stock carb it could not be taken apart like that. most stock carbs come in a .350 Dia and i use a size that is odd

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00008.JPG

terry,,,, when is the race,,the 15th... i didnt check namba's site yet.... im gonna try to stop in for a while to shoot the sh&% with ya,,, i missed ya last year,, i wasnt able to make it.... if all goes well and according to plan... ill bring some boats... :) ,,, but for sure im gonna try to come watch you boys play... what you bringin?/ riggers?

alden

Alden, The race Brian and I are reffering to is the one in Willamantic CT and is Saturday September 17th .I doubt you would travel frm VA to Ct of a one day race but it would be good to see you....

ha,,ha,,,you forget buddy...i live in ct...willy is about 25 mins away buddy...shoot me details ive never been to that site....

alden

Shoot..... , my bad I go you mixed up with moparbarn aka robin.The race is above the Dam in a small place called mansfield hollow.Go to the Namba11 site and hit race schedule and then the upcoming race and then you will have the directions.You can get to it from either side of the Dam depending on where you are coming from.

Hope to see you there.

ya the mansfield races...yepper,,,been there.. i know where to go...i hope to be there buddy.... i thought you were talking of another race site....

ac

im sure john v will be there too...usaully always makes it...its my b day today so i think ill be ordering some rc goodies....lol..,

ac

Terry,

Go ahead and just use the stock Carb, that way can finally beat you in a race. Ha ha

See ya soon. Alden, it would be great to meet you. As I will be at the CT. Race also. I will be the one trying to catch up to terry.

Mike

for sure mike,,, what time you all gonna show up??? im gonna try my best to be there...even if i cant make sign in,, i will come to chat...

alden

We stay at a motel nearby, and are usually at the site by around 7:30 or so. I believe open water is around 9:00.

Hope to see ya there.

interesting topic with many different opinions but what are te things that make a carb good carb? Is it top speed, transition from low to high, launchability or something else.

Most carbs with .350 bore will run similar top speed but they do not run the same so thet aspect is not an isue.

to me good carb is one with good transiton from low to high speed with no hesitation and good top speed. Good carb will help when you need to get off throtle for a bit and than just take of when opened and bad one needs to feathered back up or if choped down to quick will kill the engine and we all had those.

Many other thing came into play how a carb will behave and good modified engine will make OK carb shine and bad engine will make good carb look bad.

I run a CMB/MAC carb right now. Its horrible for transitioning. screams at WOT, but it TOUCHY when getting back on it. Have to slowly roll into it or it will bog out. Frank, Ill have to get one of yours... I have never had a good transitioning carb.

Well said Frank and from what I have seen and heard you would know..Personally I think taking a nice looking well made piece of Italian workmanship and cutting it or removing parts and adding another needle in the line somewhere or to the existing carb is a darn Shame...IMHO but i will do what I must.....I guess I was hoping the carb will work as well as the engine does...

When I ran a cmb and my buddy ran one he had both needles and i only had the lsn and DF base and OS Needle and they worked very very similar .at the end of it he had more top end but that could have been motors or setup.The boats were almost identical sport 20's and his started much better than mine..

I will just try the stocker and report back before I make any changes ...I hope to get out sunday afternoon to test that and some other things on my gas boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run a CMB/MAC carb right now. Its horrible for transitioning. screams at WOT, but it TOUCHY when getting back on it. Have to slowly roll into it or it will bog out. Frank, Ill have to get one of yours... I have never had a good transitioning carb.
all i run is cmb carbs (except on my k&b's) on my .21's. both inboard & outboard. they are all later model, with NO needles in them from the factory. use both os manual remotes & ferrette bases with the os needle. they ALL transition well. not sure why, different engines, different hulls but never had an issue with them. can't say if it's my tuning, driving or setup, but they work well for me on tunnels, riggers & monos. short pipe long pipe, doesn't matter.

i'm not sure what i was thinking when i posted this :blink: . the stock cmb .21 carbs do have a lsn from the factory. i have some that are cut off flush with the bore & some uncut. both work great for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoot..... , my bad I go you mixed up with moparbarn aka robin.The race is above the Dam in a small place called mansfield hollow.Go to the Namba11 site and hit race schedule and then the upcoming race and then you will have the directions.You can get to it from either side of the Dam depending on where you are coming from.

Hope to see you there.
i'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult, terry :lol: :lol: . i've never met alden, but have talked on the phone & see what he does here, i'll take it as a compliment ;) ! alden, if you've never met terry, great guy & a VERY competitive racer. i was fortunate to meet him at a race in n.c., was a pleasure to pit next to him. btw, happy birthday alden.

thank you robin,,,, ya,,, i missed these guys last year.... like ive said before im not a racer but i try to attend the local races when time permits... if im ever in your part you know dang well im comin over to go shootin on your property.... :D :D :D .....then maybe we will play boats..... but shootin first... :lol: ......

im almost positive at this point that i will be there to shake your hands boys.....finally...... :p ...... droppin the kids off fri. at the parents house.....

mike,,,terry,,, you guys need me to bring anything?????? let me know if you guys need anything..... terry you should have my number,,860 478 2237... just gimme a call if your in need.....man if im bringin boats i better get to switchin up some power heads,,,,, my sport 20 vegas thing has a .25 in it at the moment,,, and the htb has the o.s .30 vg on a tt lower,,,both to big for thier designated classes....

terry,,, ive always kept my lsn,, ive never had any luck with good transitions or throttle chops on carbs that have no lsn and run on a 3rd channel.... just my experience..... what is the throat bore in the case?? im assuming its a .21 correct?? so .590???? if it is,,, give the trusty ole o.s 20j a shot,,, you might like it... i run them on all my .21's with great success,,excellent transitioning,,,throttle chops dont kill it,,and snappy snappy response when dialed in..... has a 9mm bore which imho is plenty for what you are running.....

alden

Back