Worked a Prop and Felt Funny the Next Day

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Linden

I just want to lay this out there for anyone that was thinking about working there own prop. DON'T DO IT. I like the idea of buying a raw prop and thinning it out and taking off something here and there to get the RPMs up. But I guess it's not worth it and I see why people pay so much for props from a chosen few that have spent the money on the right tools and ventilation. The next day my lungs felt heavy and I felt feverish. Hopefully I will be ok and won't do it ever again, but I really wish I could set something up so that I could reduce the risk. That dust gets in your lungs and on your skin. It leaches into your pores and you get a metallic taste in your mouth. You would think that they could come up with a material that was a lot less harmful to make these props in knowing that poeple are going to work on them to sharpen and balance. I mean why would you use such a dangerous material for so long on an innocent hobby like this? I'm not placing blame but you gotta think that every raw prop is going to have someone sitting there balancing and sharpening it before intitial use.

Last edited by a moderator:
i get the taste thing as well.. i have been doing props for quite a while and quite honestly and two lazy to use a mask..

i would buy a mask if i were you. I know some people are more sensitive to things that others.. I talked to kently porter about this he is VERY sensitive to it and said that is why he quit doing props.. made him almost sick. his skin gets messed up ect.

Just use gloves, where a mask and maybe have a fan behind you blowing it AWAY from you.. and eye protection as well.

chris

I had the same problem when I used a sanding wheel on a dremmel. Now I use a file and finish with strips of 320 soaked in WD40. Use a lot of WD40 it will trap the dust. Takes longer with a file but you have more control of the dust and get a better profile on the prop.

David

I had a nice post going and the computer went into la la land again ha!

I use all stainless on my gassers now because of the Brerillium in the bronze props, it screws me up when I work on them......

CBS News did a segment on beryllium copper and the effects that it had on employees of a plant in Ohio, it's scary stuff!

I've noticed also after working on props that I've had problems breathing so now I only work on them while wearing a filtered mask.

I enjoy working my own props so I invested in some safety equipment to do so. I use leather work gloves, safety glasses, and a charcoal respirator. Wet sanding with oil also helps reduce the dust particles.

It would be nice if the props were made from safer materials, but most are not, sooooo..... gotta use safety gear when working them.

I learned the hard way with CA. That is some bad stuff too if you don't wear a respirator. Same goes for cutting carbon fiber and fiber glass with a dremel.

With ALL the warnings around, threads talking about the dangers etc etc .... getting yourself sick or long term injured from working on beryllium copper props without safety in mind is ... Well, STUPID :angry:

Hope you suffer from no long term effects and those who read yet another thread on prop dust ... catch a friggen clue ~~ Safety First

Mike Sr.,

The Stainless Steel propellers are even worse for you. The nickel

is not good for your lungs. You should buy the best equipment you

can afford and use it religiously. I am using a full coverage set up

and I still worry about the long term affects. I would be careful with

the WD-40 or oil on a grinding wheel or belt. If you want to try something

rather simple, try water on the wheels with a constant drip set up.

And some think that $10.00 to $15.00 per blade is a lot of money to spend.

You should do a thousand a year and see what you think then. :D

Have Fun And Be Careful,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive gotta be a hardass on this one also......there is NO EXCUSE for not using the PROPER P.P.E. whether you are grinding or sharpening ANYTHING, painting ANYTHING using oil based paints or Epoxies.....doing machine work or even gluing parts or doing fiberglass work model boat related or not ....the safety equipment that is available is not that expensive and it SHOULD BE USED! GOD! It drives me NUTS!!! :blink:

Mike Sr.,

The Stainless Steel propellers are even worse for you. The nickel

is not good for your lungs. You should buy the best equipment you

can afford and use it religiously. I am using a full coverage set up

and I still worry about the long term affects. I would be careful with

the WD-40 or oil on a grinding wheel or belt. If you want to try something

rather simple, try water on the wheels with a constant drip set up.

And some think that $10.00 to $15.00 per blade is a lot of money to spend.

You should do a thousand a year and see what you think then. :D

Have Fun And Be Careful,

Mark Sholund

I don't do quite that many props but I do agree with you about some folks not wanting to pay for quality work considering the measures that are taken to reduce the health risk. Many do appreciate the knowledge, experience, and risk involved and I am grateful for their continued business.

Chuck

hi, i used to do alot of props years ago and the first thing was going out and buying a good breathing apperatice and try at least to wear long sleeves. i haul haz mat for a living and we have every piece of ppe know to man. i learned a long time ago,you only get one set of original equipment from the factory..use it wisely.mike.

I have always worked props under running water, never had any ill effects. I would not even think about filing on one dry without a good mask.

I also work all my BeCu props under a lot of water/fluid that will trap particles - this is the only way to safe handle berylium -

using a dust mask will prevent dust to enter your loungs but the workshop will be still full of dust that can cause problems later in time.

Even tough the alloy in the props contains only 2% of Be (C82510) it is still not safe to work berylium without any protection - of course

it depends on each individual some may go by withow problems, others don't.

Here is some more info about health risks working with berylium: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium_poisoning

I still don't know why they use this alloy for making props - it is irresponsible in my opinion since many other safe alloys are available.

I also work all my BeCu props under a lot of water/fluid that will trap particles - this is the only way to safe handle berylium -

using a dust mask will prevent dust to enter your loungs but the workshop will be still full of dust that can cause problems later in time.

Even tough the alloy in the props contains only 2% of Be (C82510) it is still not safe to work berylium without any protection - of course

it depends on each individual some may go by withow problems, others don't.

Here is some more info about health risks working with berylium: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium_poisoning

I still don't know why they use this alloy for making props - it is irresponsible in my opinion since many other safe alloys are available.
The 2% Be may be sound a lot but it is. This is weight percent and Cu is a lot heavier than Be.

I only use files to balance and sharpen my props. I think buffing it dry is a bad idea.

Ok relax. Man I am just bringing up a topic. If all this is known about such a harmful substance, why is it such a common material to make props out of? An alloy can't be produced that doesn't cause all this? I mean, props are sold to the public raw. We all know they need to be balanced and sharpened. You sure don't see a skull and cross bones warning label on the bag the prop comes in. I'm not going to work my own props in the future. I'll just pay the extra dough and have someone else do it for me. I have only done it a couple of times so I don't think I will have long term affects. If people can pull cigarette smoke into their lungs for 30 years before getting emphysema, I think a couple over zealous attempts at shaping a prop will be alright.

Ok relax. Man I am just bringing up a topic. If all this is known about such a harmful substance, why is it such a common material to make props out of? An alloy can't be produced that doesn't cause all this? I mean, props are sold to the public raw. We all know they need to be balanced and sharpened. You sure don't see a skull and cross bones warning label on the bag the prop comes in. I'm not going to work my own props in the future. I'll just pay the extra dough and have someone else do it for me. I have only done it a couple of times so I don't think I will have long term affects. If people can pull cigarette smoke into their lungs for 30 years before getting emphysema, I think a couple over zealous attempts at shaping a prop will be alright.
Cu Be is a common material for props because of its strength. If I am not mistaken, all the mining tools (allen keys etc) are all made of CuBe for the strength and it will not spark like steel.

Actaully as someone already stated, SS is not good for you either. Breathing fine metal dust is never a good idea regardles of what the metal is.

I agree doing a couple of props will not cause any long term effects

yes I felt wierd the next day too with the metalic taste, I use a respirator, gloves and eye goggles now and havent noticed much since then

I realize now how stupid it was. Kind of like smoking cigarettes. Everyone knew it was not good for you for so long, but until they really hammered it home with add campaigns and fining the heck out of the tobacco companies, in turn raising the price, people kept on smoking. Now, smoking has really become unpopular. i remember when you could smoke in bathrooms, malls, and even high school. I guess I was just trying to bring it to light to anyone that was doing a prop here and there. Not a good idea, and just plain stupid as Scott said. Spend the extra dough and have the prop arrive at your door ready to go. The dust from the prop is nasty and gets every where. It is incredibly fine and no matter how hard you try, there is going to be exposure. I am just saying no.

Back