Dynamic prop balance adapter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geraghty

This is just for your entertainment and something to read .....I am now messing around with FE outboards and with the RPM potential of an FE outboard , I dug this out my toolbox to check the new CNC props.....
History.....
In 1974 when I became introduced to RC boating I started with a K&B 3.5 outboard......It didn't take me long to see a very weak link with the motor was the prop bearing......After a few runs the prop bearing became very loose and sloppy.....This attention to prop balance precipitated the jeweled balancer development and this simple prop balance checker......
This was a simple way to physically check and physically "feel the balance" of a prop prior to running it on the boat......
Every Dremel comes with a 1/8" collet ......so I just took a piece of 1/8" drill rod and slid some K&S telescoping tubing over the shaft up to 3/16" , and then loctited it all together on the 1/8"shaft ....
I then installed a drive dog on the shaft and shazaam I had a way to physically check the props balance before running it on the boat.....
You just slide on a prop and a piece of fuel tubing to hold it , slip it in a dremel turn it on and you can immediately feel the vibration of a running prop.......
Depending on how anal you are you can really ace the balance of your props......
I personally use this little Dremel 7000 [max 14K RPM] just because I can keep it in my toolbox and this is all you need to check the dynamic balance of a prop....
If anybody is interested in this tool I will make a sketch and try to post it or email it to you......
Enjoy ......This is just a product of 47 years of RC boating.....

Attachments

• Dynamic balance adapter.jpeg
    Dynamic balance adapter.jpeg
    808.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Dynamic balance adapter #2.jpeg
    Dynamic balance adapter #2.jpeg
    834.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Dynamic balance adapter #3.jpeg
    Dynamic balance adapter #3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 52
  • Dynamic balance adapter #4.jpeg
    Dynamic balance adapter #4.jpeg