WOF Buildup process

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First boat sent out today. :ph34r: Others will be worked on this coming weekend. :)

Marty, glad to help out in any way...

:ph34r: :D :p Well Done my friend!!!!, And a big "THANK YOU" from tha,

Gener ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
:blink: to any one iam about to mount some cowls a few gustions first.

i like to mount them like the hot shots or villians does any one have another way.

on the bottom way up front under the cockpit is it better that it be flat with center section or a slite upward angle to the front

Thanks for your time an any help you might give

Marty ;)

Marty,

I mount mine as the Hot Shot Sprints do. There is a lip on the bottom of the cowl that slides under the tunnel section. Lip is about 2" long, give or take. The bottom of the cowl is even with the bottom of the tunnel. My TS2 has the cowl bottom angled up, which may add some unwanted lift to the boat. Gene covered this in his TS2 / WOF thread.

Mark..

Marty,

Glad to help.. Care package? I can always use some extra care :lol:

As I'm typing, the cowl plug is currently in the vacuum bag making the mold. Plug will be removed in a few days. I'd start work on making a cowl this coming weekend but have a trip planned to go see the kids :)

:D Hay Mark would really like to see some shots of your cowls just got 5 from Dumas 3 are in need of some bondo just what i like to do with a brand new cowl :angry:

Marty later

hay Gener look to start painting bare wood hulls would like to pick your brain for a while

i believe you said to go with SIGs 1/3 clear an 2/3 thiner brush on 2 or 3 coats red scotchbrite in between each coat spray last coat is this correct have you ever used there colors mix the same? :(

more questions to come iam shore

Marty :rolleyes:

Hey Marty,

My best luck has been thinned one part thinner to three parts clear. Brush on the first couple then spray the rest.

Lite sanding with Scotchbrite between coats. Never used the colored SIG just the Clear Supercoat,

Gener :D

Last edited by a moderator:
:D Hay Mark would really like to see some shots of your cowls
Took awhile, but here are two that have recently been done. Glitter was used in lue of paint. Gold is set for a 34" while the blue (just pulled from the plug today) is made for a 29"..

cowl1.jpg

cowl2.jpg

The chin has not been made for either. Found out one thing, needs lots of glitter to make this look nice..

looks good Mark! what did you use? fiberglass? carbon? kevlar? superdooperunobtanium material?

how do they compare in weight to ABS of similar sizes?

~James

The gold has kevlar underneath while the blue has fiberglass. Since these are "test" runs, I pulled the blue out of the mold early. Last layer went on around 03:30am and it was pulled out around 12 hours later. Could have sat in there longer, but it's only a test and it came out clean.

Gold w/o chin is under 3/4 lb. Two coats of W/S, then glitter, then two coats of kelvar.

Blue has yet to be trimmed to size. Two coats of W/S, then glitter, then two coats of 2oz cloth and one coat of 5oz cloth.

7.5 ABS setup for a 29" tunnel is under 1/2 lb. Cowl has had nothing added (paint / wood / floatation).

Working my way up to laying down a carbon fiber version.

Looking good there dude mighty flashy :D are there going to be instructions on how to do this :rolleyes: for us less fortunate :huh: hope the skirt chasing is going good :lol:

Marty

Looking good there dude mighty flashy :D are there going to be instructions on how to do this :rolleyes: for us less fortunate :huh: hope the skirt chasing is going good :lol:

Marty
At some point in the near future I'll make a new cowl from the ground up. Will post pics and descriptions at that time.

The blue was trimmed down and weighted out at 3/4 lbs. I beleive weight can be lost by using less epoxy while making the cowls. Next test will keep this in mind.

Latest posts

Back