Wild thing mono kit build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey curtis, I have a nova keep with a dd sleeve and head or cmb beta, not sure yet. I'm kind of thinking the beta because of the layout but Jullian will want the nova after seeing how they run last season.....I have to keep telling him ( and myself) to finish first, first you must finish

I tried to put a Nova DD with rear exhaust in the Wild Thing, but it didn't work. The engine is too close to the transom and the header had to have so much angle on it that the pipe was sticking straight up in the air. That looked bad, added wind resistance and raised the lateral GC. I think the side piped engine is a better choice for this boat.

Not sure where the motor sits on the seaducer......thought I saw pics of one with rear exhaust. Guess we will find out. The nova keep is front exhaust so it may be winner by default

ML "Wild Thing" is ready to test. Highest quality kit I have ever seen.
Bob Why did you install Strut " Long shaft" ?
default_wacko.png
Look like " chopper" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone else finished their Wild thing builds? Just wondering what they thought of the build and/or how it runs! John Finch has been doing a lot of testing with the FE hull and the speeds are pretty impressive. Mike

ML "Wild Thing" is ready to test. Highest quality kit I have ever seen.
Bob, Would you be OK with me posting a picture of your hull on my website? I just looked at this thread for the first time in months and saw it..very nice! If you have any pics of it in the water, I would love those too!

Mike,

Please feel free use any of my post material or pics on your site. The water is still frozen up here in Minnesota, so the best I could do would be some pics on the ice :)

Here are some kitchen pics of the finished boat after final clear coat.

A.JPG

B.JPG

C.JPG

D.JPG

I am just about wrapped up on the build of the Wild thing. I see the CG is at 9.5", but I adjusted the back of the radio box and moved a couple of things forward, so my 8 oz tank is not goiong to be centered on the CG, but maybe about 3/4" forward of that.

I am wondering what my pipe length should be for a, OS VZ-M and an OPS .21 pipe (3280). Would the 3-blade X440 be a good starter prop for this setup? Also, when you give a pipe length, what exactly are you measuring? Is it the length from the Inlet of the tube to where the convergent portion meets the outlet tube? How I would break down the tube in terms of the way the gas flows (inlet portion->divergent portion->convergent portion->outlet tube).

Thanks in advance,

Curtis

I ran the 36 inch boat with a 4s setup to see what it would do and with a 2500 kv motor, a MGM controller, and an m445 prop it heat raced exactly the same speed as my Rico with a 2200 kv mtr with the same same prop. 52 mph with batteries just barely warm after 6 laps. Both boats could use more prop but I will race first against the nitro boats to make sure the speeds are equal. We have an arrangement in our district that we can't over power the electrics because we run them in a combined class with the nitro boats. My speedmaster 21 ran 52 mph so I am using that as a benchmark. Keep in mind the 36 inch boat is not legal in the P mono class because there is a max length of 34 inches for that class.

I then put 6 s back in the boat for SAW the following weekend. I blew the boat off the water and tore off the deck and part of the front of the boat. That is part of the SAW risk we take. I put the deck back on and the boat is now a 33 1/2 inch boat. I may stop tearing up the boat for SAW and make it a heat racing boat. The problem with SAW MONO attempts is that every time you gain another 10 mph you blow off the water because the boat has to run at a posative angle of attack. Eventually enough air gets packed under the boat for it's weight and then she becomes an aircraft without wings. Aerodynamics are a big part too! Hydros are so much easier because you can run at a neutral or negative angle of attack and stay on the water as speeds increase, BUT the mono is more of a challenge. My delta style mono hull is better suited for SAW than the Wild Thing but the Wild thing is great for carving corners.

Just so everyone knows, the 45" Gas Wild Thing kit has been designed, and I sent the file to the laser guy this morning to get a price quote on cutting. We had a couple guys in the district that were really wanting to get one, so I finished it up. Unfortunately, I was given some CAD plans of what I thought was a 48" version of the Wild Thing, but with the length change request from 48" to 45" by the local racers and when I noticed some of the key aspects of the Wild Thing were removed/ modified, I ended up needing to start over and not really use those plans. This kit was called the Prowler I think? Not knowing much about it, I only used the engine rails from the kit and some basic frame outlines. None the less, I will have more new soon on this hull kit. Mike

The 45" Wild Thing Mono is now available on the website! I also adjusted all the Mono kit prices...down!

I made some changes to the wild thing 36 after a crash that tore off the bow. I just glued it back together as a stub nose bow so it is super strong and now 33 1/2 inches long thus making it legal in the p mono class. The cg was too far forward with the batteries beside the motor last time at the pond that gave 52 mph for heat racing at 4swith a 35 percent CG. I crashed the boat at about 75 mph with 6s looking like the bow dropped and caused the boat to swap ends. I felt like I needed to test the forward cg for SAW to see what the boat would do. Test over. Did not work well.

I went back to my original idea of putting the batteries at the transom in the center of the hull and went to the pond today. The CG was at 32 percent on 6s using the 2500 kv motor and a M545 prop. We got 80.3 mph but the boat still looked a bit flat on the water.

I changed to 4s with two 5000ma packs in parallel and the cg changed to 31 percent with the extra weight of the 4s packs. I put the turn fin on the boat and tested for heat racing. The boat went to 59 mph with an m445 prop but was running on just the last inch of the hull. It hovered there very well and was extremely fast but the boat will need trim tabs to be a good heat racer. The tabs will slow the boat a bit but it would be better with trim tabs for heat racing. So........the bottom line is.....if you set up a 34 inch boat for heat racing.....put the batteries all the way in the back of the hull, not on the sides by the motor.

John

Hello Guys,

I am interested in Wild Thing .12 & .21. Could not found any drawing so far.
default_mad.gif

Hope one can give me a .dxf download link.

Best regards,

Leo

Update..........I added trim tabs to the 33 inch boat and it slowed the boat to 52 mph but it had to be done for heat racing. Will be racing the boat in a week so can fine tune some more while in race conditions. Boat corners very linear. Excited about finaly getting it into a District race.

John

Gonna be fun next weekend, john! I can tell you chilli's boat is bad fast & heat races very well. Carl's speedmaster is always fast, & i just put a fresh bullet in my seaducer. See ya in a week.

Back