Wild thing mono kit build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good write up on the build, John. Looks like another proven boat for sure. I would love to know what you have forgotten about running R/C boats. I also feel very lucky to have someone of your caliber racing in my district as well. The few times we have actually raced against each other has truly made myself a better driver for sure..........

Gonna be fun next weekend, john! I can tell you chilli's boat is bad fast & heat races very well. Carl's speedmaster is always fast, & i just put a fresh bullet in my seaducer. See ya in a week.
See ya tomorrow. Looking forward to racing with you.
John

John C. Thanks for the kind words. Lets Race!!!

Have fun this weekend fellas...I am unable to make this one due to work...

John, betcha your Rico is gonna be a contender!! : )

-Kent

Kent. The rico worked so well at the race that i ran it in both p mono and fe/nitro mono. I never took the wild thing out of the truck. I will be running the wild thing in e city at saw in november. Dont need two heat racing boats in the same class.

Very cool John! I am pleased that you are having good luck with it...I will definitely miss having her! Eventually I think I would like to build a Wild Thing P - mono to race.

I really missed you guys this season! I think next year will be better for me...

Good luck at E-city in Nov.!!

-Kent

Kent,

Follow up on my last post..............The e-city record trial was cancelled so I didn't get a shot at the record. What a waste of good water. Light and variable today in E - City. Steve Sutton and Steve Speas came by and we went to the local pond to test since we had planned to race boats and everything was charged and ready.

The wild thing ran 81 mph set up for saw at 8s which is faster than the record so it is ready to go for next year. Gee.....nothing to get ready this winter. No projects.

I might have to take up bowling or something. LOL. I have finally figured out the electric stuff after two years of testing, data logging, prop work, etc. Much help from Don Ferrette, and the hack master.........Steve Sutton.

Kent,

Follow up on my last post..............The e-city record trial was cancelled so I didn't get a shot at the record. What a waste of good water. Light and variable today in E - City. Steve Sutton and Steve Speas came by and we went to the local pond to test since we had planned to race boats and everything was charged and ready.

The wild thing ran 81 mph set up for saw at 8s which is faster than the record so it is ready to go for next year. Gee.....nothing to get ready this winter. No projects.

I might have to take up bowling or something. LOL. I have finally figured out the electric stuff after two years of testing, data logging, prop work, etc. Much help from Don Ferrette, and the hack master.........Steve Sutton.
John you can always bring your stuff down to Huntsville, can't guarantee the wind will not blow but the water will not be hard. Open water Friday 28th, Trials start 8am Saturday and Sunday will have the 1/3 and 1/4 mile setup and SAW. Eat Turkey on Thursday and play boats on the weekend.
David

Thanks for the invite David but part of the family is coming up from Atlanta that we have not seen in a while. 3 of my 10 grandkids with that group alone. I do have 3 mono hulls all running above record speeds and was hoping to do the 100 mph mark with a mono but Not this year. Doug or I should be able to make that mark next spring. The German did the 108 mph mono record with NAMBA so that kind of takes some of the excitement out of it for us. Not as big a deal now. I guess you were there when Doug did 98 mph. Knocking on the door. He will probably be the first in IMPBA to do it. Have fun and good luck!

John

Update...... After one record trial ln 2015 and one this week at lake X in Portersville, Pa................. The wild thing took the S mono SAW record! The boat ran just over the average speed record on the first two passes. A 3.0 second and a 2.8 second pass gave the average of 2.9 for a speed of 76.923 mph. Not a fantastic speed but enough to take the record. The boat later did an 83 mph pass but stuffed on a wake on the return pass. The water was only 3 feet deep and the bottom of the pond is concrete so the bow took a really bad hit. It split up all the seams. It is repairable and we already started the repair at the lake but did not run the boat again. Setup was 31.5 % CG with two 4s packs in the center of the hull at the transom. This was a fun project and just wanted to give an update that took way too long to get too.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi John. Congratulations on the record.

Just wondering if you have installed strakes on this model, and if any of the wild thing kits come with material for strakes?

Neil.

Nice work John! Would you like me to send you a new kit instead of having to repair this old one? Just let me know your address. Thanks, Mike

Thanks Neil. The kits do not come with strakes but I did install them on this boat for SAW. I set them up 2 inches apart from each other outside to outside to get the boat out of the water more for SAW. The boat ran on the last inch right at the transom. Not good for heat racing. I would go without strakes for heat racing or oval record trials. When I set the oval record years ago there were no strakes on the hull and it cut the corners like on rails at full speed. I have also found out that rough water running without strakes gives a faster time than smooth water with strakes or a pad when using an electric boat as it reduces the amperage needed to get to top speed. I cut the strakes out of a 1/2 inch by 2 inch piece of pine using my band saw and a lot of sanding.

John

Thanks for the offer mike, but I have already made the repair this past weekend and I am putting the boats up for the winter. I have to start getting ready for the christmas light installation at my home. Mary goes all out as she used to be on the Richmond tacky light tour, but we don't register anymore because of the road getting too congested. Still we get a lot of visits.

John

Wow!!! An 83mph pass with a 33" mono??!! Wicked ignorant fasssst!!!

Congrats on your S-mono record John (76.923 mph)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, well, if you ever need one, just let me know and I will send it right out! Thanks for letting me share these kits with the world! Have fun with the lights! haha

Mike,

Yea......Lights are not my thing. You must have been talking to Ferrette. When the lights are on at my house he says the lights at his house go dim. LOL. Got to keep mama happy. Happy wife happy life.

John

Kent,

Where you been? havn't seen you at the races.

John
Hey John! Yeah...bought a townhouse last year so work/$ has sucked alot of racing time from me. I should be back on track next season with a new fleet of MLBoatworks hydros including a GSX480 Gas Hydro which Mike should be getting out to me soon!! Maybe you can show me around the pond with "Frankenboat"??!!

I have missed you all!!

Thanks Neil. The kits do not come with strakes but I did install them on this boat for SAW. I set them up 2 inches apart from each other outside to outside to get the boat out of the water more for SAW. The boat ran on the last inch right at the transom. Not good for heat racing. I would go without strakes for heat racing or oval record trials. When I set the oval record years ago there were no strakes on the hull and it cut the corners like on rails at full speed. I have also found out that rough water running without strakes gives a faster time than smooth water with strakes or a pad when using an electric boat as it reduces the amperage needed to get to top speed. I cut the strakes out of a 1/2 inch by 2 inch piece of pine using my band saw and a lot of sanding.

John
Thank you for that information John. You may just have answered a theory I started testing some time ago regarding the benefits, if any, of strakes on our small boats for SAW.

I've always thought that strakes, especially multiple strakes, hinder a boats ability to carve a turn. I guess each hull is different though and I never did prove or disprove this.

Thanks, and congrats again.

Latest posts

Back