WHY DO WE?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzy dean

just trying to understand the reason,

help draw the fuel mixture in or just plain mix the air/fuel?

i've seen many variations, so i suppose there's no set guide lines.

tim

tim
yeah and the variations is what bothers me. Is every style of cut going to be effective around 30,000rpm? I doubt it.. Is any cut going to be effective at all? possibly.

Its like saying "All these props will all work the same around 30,000 rpm" ,yeah right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once read it helps not to load the motor up at low end speeds, and helps with flow. I also read it has no real horsepower gain.

Last edited by a moderator:

tim
The fuel is atomized when it get drawn through the carb venturi so I do not think any mixing is needed. If it is needed, the recipricating conrod does a better job than a cut in the crank.

The fuel is drawn into the crankcase by vacuum created as the piston moves up. If the crank is cut in such a way that it resembles a propeller blade then it may be possible that it helps fuel draw. But the turbo cuts I have seen are merely a spiral grove in the crank counter weight. I think most likely it does very little to help engine performance.

Actually I think cutting the crank does more to hurt the engine than helping it. Removing material from the crank couter weight will increase vibration, increase crankcase volume and possibly weaken the crank.

Latest posts

Back