Why do we race clockwise???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The power to weight ratio and speeds attainable by models is disproportional to their size, the term "scale speed" has existed since long before I ever started modeling.Right or wrong.
I agree whole heartedly with the first part of your statement, but scale speed does not exist. Google it. There are many things that have been incorrectly assumed for a long time, thats doesnt make it right :D

I love debating within a debate!
:D :D :D Caribou can't fly either, but a lot of people still believe in Santa Claus.

Tim,

Did it ever occur to you that when we (as a hobby) first started running our little boats, that we ran them the same way as the big boys do? With boats designed to run CCW? I'd bet we did, and found that the rotation of the prop wreaked havoc on handling. Then one day (not too many days into it) someone had the bright idea to build a boat around the concept of running it CW and found the handling to be WAY better. I assure you the rotaion of the prop has a significant impact on handling.

Yes, we can easily reverse the induction of our engines so that they run the other way, but why would we do that? There are virtually no props available for RH rotaion, not to mention boat design has been focused on running CW for decades. Doing what you're suggesting would involve a hobby wide shift on all levels. We can't have some boaters running CW while others are running CCW, so everybody would have to build/buy new boats between seasons, then adjust to goining CCW overnight. EVERYBODY. Talk about chaos.

When I first got into this hobby, I asked the same question. A club member told me what you've already been told. I chewed on it for, oh, about ten microseconds and said, "Makes sense to me........" and moved on. I had much more important issues to ponder.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

One of the experiments I did was to reduce the size of the turn fin to about scale on a sport 40. The boat still turned but it slide in the corner much like a full scale unlimited.
Just like I was saying. A machinist friend of mine was working on some fins for some 2.5 and 5 liters boats. They were running fins that were small. He built some bigger ones for them. I was able to talked to the guys in San Diego one year. They loved the fin. They had to turn the wheel less and it was much easy to turn the boat. They used to have to really cranked the wheel hard and it was a lot of work without power steering.

Mike

And yes I have seen the scale club with their "running the same direction as the big boats" when they first started. They were trying to run the left hand props on their boats. That was one ill handling boat. Did not want to go threw the corner worth a ****. So they all started running the right hand props. Boats turned much better. Then they limited the turn fin size to scale. Now the turn like the big boats. Sliding threw the corner.

Mike

I really didn't read the entire thread, so someone might have mentioned this already... The drives in full-size boats often spin in opposite directions. Counter-rotating props on twin-powered offshore boats are extremely common, if not the norm.

A left hand counterclockwise rotation prop is already trying to turn the boat right hence the need for drives offset to the right or shimmed to the left and/or left rudder trim so why not go in the natural direction the boat is already trying to pull. Pretty simple just turn right and don't fight it. It is the correct way for the direction our props spin. I don't think all the engines are going to spin the othe way or props to match anytime soon so best to take right turns. I mean really why do Nascars Ovals all go left? So they can see better. LOL.

I read this somewhere thought it was funny,

It goes back too the cave men. Being that most humanoids are right handed, that was the hand they carried their club in. Leaving their left hand open

Without proper balance, this made the early humanoids tend to always drift left. Eventually this developed into a circular/oval pattern.

Thus the established direction for all racing, footraces, skating, horse racing, power boating, and car races.

So, it's because of human DNA.

Twin rotations are another whole different topic. Same way, inward, outward, clockwise, counterclockwise, twin props on single shaft counterrotating.

Yeah, a

Twin rotations are another whole different topic. Same way, inward, outward, clockwise, counterclockwise, twin props on single shaft counterrotating.
Yeah, and it gets even more complicated once you add a 3rd engine which is very common on the big vee boats.

Hey!

It's only been brought up about a zillion times. (really I'm just bumping my post count. almost 1000!) B)

/B

Back