Why do we race clockwise???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it not clockwise norh of the equator and counter clockwise south of the equator? :p Maybe I am thinking of some other deal.. ... :blink:
Norm.

you're confusing the whole cyclone/typhoon adventure.

wait, that wouldn't be right.

Where's Samuel L.Jackson when you need him. He could shout the answer for us. Hopefully it's in English!
SLJ is out in the garage on brain detail...

There is a huge (over 50 total) group in the Pacific Northwest that races counterclockwise, the electric scale clubs. Since the motors will easily turn either direction, that's not an issue anymore. However, they feel that they need to run right hand props which seriously limits prop selection. I'm not convinced that this should be necessary.

As Mike stated, there are big differences between our models and full sized boats. The one I notice is that we run huge props compared to scale sizes. Again, this can go away with the higher rpm electric motors can turn. That should reduce prop walk and torque effects.

Lohring Miller

With all this said, its just ODD to me we don't run CCW ( especially when we can )!!!

run 10 laps CCW.. and time them

I will run 10 laps CW.. and time them.

Lowest time wins! lol

Grim

If the full size boats were going 700mph + they would. If we were running our model boats at true scale speeds they would be slower then a Miss Vegas.

There is no such thing as "scale speed". Speed is speed, regardless of scale of the model or full size. You cant scale time.... You can scale distance, but not time. (Mile Per Hour)

~James

I agree that we should be running the same as the big boats. In scale racing, the intent is to duplicate the real boats. We do the timed starts, so why not turn CCW for trueism. Has anyone tried putting a skid fin on the left side of their scale boat to see how it handles and turns. (Sounds like a winter project).

Kyle

I agree that we should be running the same as the big boats. In scale racing, the intent is to duplicate the real boats. We do the timed starts, so why not turn CCW for trueism. Has anyone tried putting a skid fin on the left side of their scale boat to see how it handles and turns. (Sounds like a winter project).
Kyle
AMEN!!!

If the full size boats were going 700mph + they would. If we were running our model boats at true scale speeds they would be slower then a Miss Vegas.

There is no such thing as "scale speed". Speed is speed, regardless of scale of the model or full size. You cant scale time.... You can scale distance, but not time. (Mile Per Hour)

~James
The power to weight ratio and speeds attainable by models is disproportional to their size, the term "scale speed" has existed since long before I ever started modeling.Right or wrong.

I could be wrong but I think the European Multi racing runs a "M" course counter clockwise, I read this from a few European RC boat magazines.

I think the size of our RC boat turn fin being so large in proportion has to do with the effects of scaling. Area scale down in square root and volume goes down in cube root. It is for this reason that if you try to scale a RC plane to about 1/2A scale, the wing area and the tail feathers will all be too small making it difficult to fly. Of course the other points made earlier in the post about the G's are also valid.

One of the experiments I did was to reduce the size of the turn fin to about scale on a sport 40. The boat still turned but it slide in the corner much like a full scale unlimited.

run 10 laps CCW.. and time themI will run 10 laps CW.. and time them.

Lowest time wins! lol

Grim
Do this with a newly set up tunnel same person, boat and course. I will guarantee CCW will be faster.

Are you saying.. I take my tunnel boat run it CW,, then you take my tunnel (same boat, same cource) and run it CCW and the CCW will be faster?

Grim

Lowest time wins! lol

Grim
Do this with a newly set up tunnel same person, boat and course. I will guarantee CCW will be faster.

Are you saying.. I take my tunnel boat run it CW,, then you take my tunnel (same boat, same cource) and run it CCW and the CCW will be faster?

Grim
NOT at all Grim. What I'm saying is your tunnels have been set up to run CW, and we all know you are one of the best racers. What I am saying is this.

You or anyone else take a tunnel that is new, have the same guy and the same tunnel go CCW, then CW I will grantee the tunnel will handle better running CCW and be faster.

TL

Last edited by a moderator:

Lowest time wins! lol

Grim

Grim
NOT at all Grim. What I'm saying is your tunnels have been set up to run CW, and we all know you are one of the best racers. What I am saying is this.

You or anyone else take a tunnel that is new, have the same guy and the same tunnel go CCW, then CW I will grantee the tunnel will handle better running CCW and be faster.

TL
Who cares what direction we run as long as were having fun that is the object of model boats.....

Walt Barney

OK.. I did not understand..

Im back to and going to stick to what we are doing now.. goodn-nuf for me!

Grim

My Leecraft XTR-21 had issues in the turns because it was over powered, with a strong piped engine on it. Put a sport K&B on it and it worked fine. The Twin Cities area is long over due for another model boat club, Hell Chicago has about a half dozen of them, Start up the LTO Model Boat Club. :D
I bet that over powered leecraft would have turned CCW just fine.
no it wouldn't. the leecraft's sponsons are different side to side, the boat is BUILT to turn right, as are some other tunnels.

Lowest time wins! lol

Grim

Grim

TL
Who cares what direction we run as long as were having fun that is the object of model boats.....

Walt Barney

Exactly ...i'm not buying or making all new turn fins for anyone !!!!!! Onward through the fog men !!

The power to weight ratio and speeds attainable by models is disproportional to their size, the term "scale speed" has existed since long before I ever started modeling.Right or wrong.
I agree whole heartedly with the first part of your statement, but scale speed does not exist. Google it. There are many things that have been incorrectly assumed for a long time, thats doesnt make it right :D

I love debating within a debate!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back