Why do we race clockwise???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it not clockwise norh of the equator and counter clockwise south of the equator? :p Maybe I am thinking of some other deal.. ... :blink:
Norm.

you're confusing the whole cyclone/typhoon adventure.

wait, that wouldn't be right.

Where's Samuel L.Jackson when you need him. He could shout the answer for us. Hopefully it's in English!

Don,

Yes, I personally think it sucks. We do everything in this hobby to follow the real boats, then go race the opposite direction as they do. Why because 50+ years ago someone started going the wrong way??????

People even go through all the fine details of having a SCALE boat, then race it the wrong way!
It's only wrong by your opinion which of course your are entitled to, the boats seem to handle it just fine.

It is the rotation of the prop. Back in the day, when they tethered boats and timed them, they ran clockwise because the prop torque was already pulling that way. When radio control came out. We proved we are creatures of habit and kept going the same way even though the need to was no longer there. At least thats how it was explained to me. Ken
If the need is no longer there, why the h&ll are we still going this way. We are not living in tepee's anymore are we.

Well I guess then almost EVERY boat would need to be modified in some way, just to run the other direction.

Some electric guys run their (1/12?) scale hydros the 'correct' direction...

Well I guess then almost EVERY boat would need to be modified in some way, just to run the other direction.
Some electric guys run their (1/12?) scale hydros the 'correct' direction...
Nice to know some go the "correct" way. I don't believe anything with an outboard on it would need to be changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some place an honestly ignorant question gets a straight answer ... guess not this time or place :rolleyes:

Frankly think the toilet water spin sums it up nicely ... and down the shitter we go :D

Some place an honestly ignorant question gets a straight answer ... guess not this time or place :rolleyes:
Frankly think the toilet water spin sums it up nicely ... and down the shitter we go :D
You are right! My toilet water spins CCW!!! The direction the real boats race hahaha.

Hello Tim

I am Glad that they turn the way they do now.....

I started racing riggers and if anyone who has raced one will tell you they really hook up on right turns and

it seams they act real funny if you try to correct course turning left......

Joe

No problem Timmy, There is a control on your radio called steering dual rate. turn it down until your rudder or lower unit barely moves, then increase the amount of input so the boat has just a bit more steering then is required to negotiate the inside radius of the turn on the course you run on.If you re read my post I said I never spun a mono out, and I never have. I used to regularly barrel roll or spin out in the turns when I ran an XTR-21 tunnel, that's why I switched to running different hulls.

Joe,

I don't run any rigger, I would have to agree with you on that. However if the turn fin was mounted on the left sponson it may act the same to turn right?

Larry,

My fualt, sorry. This is what I am getting at people ( tunnels spinning out ). Any tunnel ( and most likely kneelers ) turn easier to the left!!! Next time anyone is setting up a boat try it. You will see.

Hello Tim

I started racing riggers and if anyone who has raced one will tell you they really hook up on right turns and

Joe

Joe put that big honking turnfin that the riggers run on the other side and it will turn left for you just fine. It may also stop some hydros from hopping in the turns.

I an NOT trying to change anything here. I am just looking for why we race CW.

Here is another question for you rigger and inboard hydro guy's. Have you ever asked yourself. Why do I need that big honking turnfin and all of its drag to turn? I know that it a fin is needed to make a hydro carve a turn. But dame, If a fullsize hydro needed a turnfin as big as we use in RC. The thing would be like a 4x8 or bigger sheet of metal hanging off of it.

My Leecraft XTR-21 had issues in the turns because it was over powered, with a strong piped engine on it. Put a sport K&B on it and it worked fine. The Twin Cities area is long over due for another model boat club, Hell Chicago has about a half dozen of them, Start up the LTO Model Boat Club. :D

Markus the tethers had rudders(soldered brass blade) but they locked 'em or sort of...no fin, on mine, if'n I remember....had a Thriftway Too way old kit I obtained from a freinds dad, and commenced to ruining a nice mahogony kit..... and there's merit to the more right hand people than left, as, throwing the boat attached to the pole would be sort of majority rules more right than left..... possibly.... now, I wonder, if they let the lefties race CCW, tether anyway.... and why they possibly even make "counter rotating" propellors, and, and... anyway.... we must be bored..... I'll run 'em whatever way they let me. Swirls, brother, where are ya?...... any man checked the rotation of his toidy after this.... well, thats why we run boats clockwise...... Mike

My Leecraft XTR-21 had issues in the turns because it was over powered, with a strong piped engine on it. Put a sport K&B on it and it worked fine. The Twin Cities area is long over due for another model boat club, Hell Chicago has about a half dozen of them, Start up the LTO Model Boat Club. :D
I bet that over powered leecraft would have turned CCW just fine.

Hello Tim

Joe

Joe put that big honking turnfin that the riggers run on the other side and it will turn left for you just fine. It may also stop some hydros from hopping in the turns.

I an NOT trying to change anything here. I am just looking for why we race CW.

Here is another question for you rigger and inboard hydro guy's. Have you ever asked yourself. Why do I need that big honking turnfin and all of its drag to turn? I know that it a fin is needed to make a hydro carve a turn. But dame, If a fullsize hydro needed a turnfin as big as we use in RC. The thing would be like a 4x8 or bigger sheet of metal hanging off of it.
If the full size boats were going 700mph + they would. If we were running our model boats at true scale speeds they would be slower then a Miss Vegas.

I bet that over powered leecraft would have turned CCW just fine.
No it didn't I tried it, the only boats I have had that I haven't tried running ccw are the ones with turn fins on them to hold them in the turns going cw.

You guys got to stop comparing everything to the larger boats. They are not the same and will never ever be any where close to the same.

I have asked why the turn fin is so big. We are turning a hell of a lot more G's in the corners than anyfull size boat. My riggers are pulling 8-12 g's. The only thing out there pulling those kind of G's are fighter jets. The Unlimited boats are doing about 1.5 g's at a 350 ft. radius corner going 100 MPH. I can tell you that if they did hang bigger fins on those full size boats that they would turn better then they are now. They spend most of the time in the corner going sideways. Riggers do not, they pivot on the fin and track threw the corners. Half of the race is spent going threw a corner so I will give up a little bit of drag to haul ass threw the corner. Besides the amount of drag that you save by making the fins a 1/3 smaller is negligible.

Mike

Latest posts

Back