• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Who's Got The Best Price?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don,

I have had much better luck with the HP's, too. I am hard on plugs, usually toasting one every run, but the K&B's seem to run hard all the way through a tank (the coil is broken, but still present), whereas the McCoys's will often start to let off toward the end of the run (coil is gone, engine is starting to run fat).

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Don, what if you drop the nitro content...what i'm thinking is less nitro but better burn giving the same performance do to the hotter plug [finer element wire]...i could be way out on this as most of my experience is with car on 30 and 40 % nitro....

Don and Others,

That was my problem with the Merlin plugs also,but they were in my 21 motor.

I think the element is too fine for BIG COMPRESSION and RATHER LARGE NITRO.

They would be good for a sport boater, if we have many of them here. :lol:

Good Luck Testing,

Mark Sholund

It's just a test... :ph34r: nobody has to know!!! I'll take as much nitro as i can get as well...i think i'll go hide B) under a rock now...

6cuda6 said:
It's just a test... :ph34r:   nobody has to know!!! I'll take as much nitro as i can get as well...i think i'll go hide B)   under a rock now...
91041[/snapback]

LOL!! Seriously though all my stuff is geared towards hi nitro. :)

:blink: Hi Don I want to see your pictures of Merlin plug shapes and coil let me know thanks, Allan

ALLAN YUEN said:
:blink:   Hi Don  I want to see your pictures of  Merlin plug shapes  and coil  let me know  thanks, Allan
91054[/snapback]

You'll need scuba gear 'cause they're at the bottom of the lake. :blink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Don Become Freeze my body in lake Anyway Show me new Plug picture ...Allan

I ran the 2006 plug in my OS OB and had no problems on 60%.... The K&B 1-L was killing the first two winds,, gray and fuzzy

When I got my order, I too noticed that the coil wire seemed to be a bit thin. I should see the guys from Merlin at the Toledo show and will see if they have some with heavier wire in them.

I've had problems with the K&B plugs but Gary Preusse swears by them, I swear at them. I did notice that I had to drop the amperage on my power panel in order to not fry them.

I am sure he has a heavy wire plug.... Just ask and you shall receive.... B) or better yet call them !!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you toast a plug every run then you have other problems.

The fastest boats I have ever seen probably burn the fewest plugs. This is because you don't lean a boat to that point to go fast. You burn fuel to go fast.

Don,

Apparently you need 20% nitro and .050" head clearance for that plug. But what would be the point?

I take 2-3 boats to 10-12 races a year and I think I run kinda fast. Sometimes I change a plug out just because it makes me nervous after running 3 plus races. Not heats, races. I have 24 plugs (MC 9s) right now and I'll be upset if they don't make it the season. Like Preston said... "You burn fuel to go fast". My OS needle valve wouldn't move 2to3 clicks either way all season and my engines start as soon as I hit the starter button. You sure can tell when a motor is happy.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
:ph34r: :ph34r: RON or DON Would show me pictures of Merlin Glow plug ( Shape and coil) :( :( thanks, Allan

I talked to the owner of Merlin yesterday at the Toledo show plus bought some more plugs from him to try. I got a list from him on the various heat ranges:

2001: 30% or higher Nitro

2002: 20%

2003: 5-15%

2004: no Nitro

2005: 0-15%

2006: Heavy Duty Car

2007: Regular Car

2009: 4-stroke, 20% oil

2011: 4-stroke,< 20% oil or all synthetic

Turbo plugs in both HD (Heavy duty) and EHD (Extra Heavy Duty)

8 to 4, qwith 8 being very cold to 4, being very hot.

Aircraft Turbo plugs:

3: Hot

2: Medium

1: Cold

Craig, someone in Oz has ordered 50 plugs but I don't know who it was.

www.merlinglowplugs.biz or [email protected]

Back