Who is your StandUp Guy/Guys?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted buckley

Over the years, in this hobby you come across certain individuals that have either been very kind/showed you the way or just plain impressed you to the point that they are always in your thoughts when it comes to RC Racing. My definition of a Stand-up-guy meets certain criteria. And with that being said - I'm very picky whom I consider a "Stand-Up-Guy". Only I know what My criteria is for these people to make the list, but whatever the reason - they should know that they have been honored(At least in My mind).. My hat's-off to these people: Live or Dead..

*Clemons Voorhees "Van" Crochity ole coot - but he'd give you the shirt off his back - God rest his sole.

*Mic Halbrehder - Even though he probably didn't like me that much - he never had a bad thing to say about anyone. Always kept to himself.

*Bob Bonahume - Class - Nothing but class..

*Kraig Kutz: Good and long-time Boat friend.

*Brian "Big Bryon" from Wisc. - All around nice guy, which is suprising since he's a young guy. Not Cocky.

*Patrick Steele - All around nice guy - we need more of these. I respect..

*"Dicky" Richard Dahlheimer: Always wanting to help people out.

This is my list, and yes - it is short.. Like I said; I'm picky.

Maybe, you can find a few people to list here, and just say thank's...

Cmon, guys it's the Holiday season..

Ted I am flattered but your wrong about my opinion of you. You are/were also a "stand up guy". I agree with Bob Bonaholm and really need to add Nub Kopiska in that list. Always ready to help anyone anytime. Without creating a long list here one guy over the years I totally respect is Bob Kensil. Now being in the south I have met too many to list but have not met a tunnel racer down here I didn't like. A few I do enjoy beating and don't mind loosing to.

Mic Halbrehder

Same problem...too many! Pretty much everyone in the Tampa Bay and Brandon boat club...God! This is hard! Tom Foley, Marty Davis, Joe Wieblehaus,Hot Rod, Norm Doerr, John Otto, Randy Premo, Larry Beals, Ron Byrd, Rick Bellinger, Andy Green, Don Reik, Cal Lange, Charlie Lockett, Nub, Gene Mongar(no way id forget you Gene!)See what i mean? And there are SO MANY MORE...some of the folks i mentioned simply helped me to get better by the giving of thier time and knowledge and asked NOTHING in return for it..others may have helped me out at a race or test session years ago and dont even remember what they did to help me.....i do.....ive been playin with this stuff for 30 years and ive never been able to hang out with these people nearly as much as i wanted to due to other things that i do, BUT every time im fortunate enough to get together with these wonderful people, im treated like an old friend..that and the fact that though im not nearly as good of a "racer" as these people are...that NEVER mattered to any of them...one last thing, IW has blessed me with getting to know even MORE STAND UP PEOPLE, even if i may never have the pleasure of meeting them in person....this is a very good topic, especially with the holidays and all. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Man , I would have to type for hours !!! Now if you want to start one about who is NOT a standup guy ..that would be very easy ...not many ! We have a great group in our hobby and it is a very unique situation !! Thanks guys !

Same here to many to list, but to put in a nut shell I havent meet anyone that I didnt like or have respect for in one way or another in our boating world that is.

And the guys here in Dist 4 are great to race with and to ask for help.

Where would you start , in my brief 6 or 7 years racing - there are so many,

isn't that cool to be able to say B)

First and foremost would be Ron Green(rip my friend) - for dragging me into this madness, although I didnt follow the route he planned for me :rolleyes:

And all the great people he introduced me to-

Chris Harris

Ray Rankle

Reed Eagle

Doug Smock

Hanging out with Ray Fuller- Brian Buass -Chris -Ron -Smock and the gang at the cabin shooting the breeze in Blue Lake at my first SAWS was priceless.

Gene Mongar has helped me- and still does- more than I could ever have asked anyone. Thank You.

The list would be too long to mention , but anyone from the Brandon / Tampa clubs and a ton of other surrounding clubs are some of the best people I have ever met.

Otto / Premo / Drake / Whidden - for my latest tunnel addiction :p

Foley- need I say more B) B) B)

My daughter is playing with other racers kids at the lake now, so we are meeting even more great people.

That's been the most awesome thing for me :)

My list will never end :) :) :)

Cool thread.

Andy

Ted, in my book, you are a stand up guy. I remember you helping out at the club pond, even before you became a member again. It is great that you are back into racing toy boats again. I also agree with Mic H, about Nub Kopisca willing to help anyone. Richard D

If I had to list all the people that helped me out over the years I'd have a list three pages long. As for the "stand up guys", however, the list isn't near that long. My list is:

Roger Newton-never had a bad thing to say about anyone, was always willing to answer a question and never asked anyone to do something he either hadn't or wouldn't do

Troy McInyre-may have been slow in delivering product but was always willing to talk boats. His expertise on scales made a world of difference in my "building career"

Ron Erickson-a straight talker that never had you wondering what he was talking about. He spoke his mind and was always willing to help someone else out.

I could name several others as well, but most wouldn't be known outside of the Pacific Northwest

This is why I love this hobby.

I also would have to type for days trying to remember all the GREAT people in this hobby/sport that have helped me at one time or another.

That's why it is a great hobby, evryone helps one another.

The bad apples are few and far between for the most part. :) :)

Knub is definetly one of my stand up guys. A couple of years ago at the World Tunnel Champs I was struggling with a Kaboom engine. Knub helped me a little bit and couldn't get it going. He reached in his box and pulled out a motor. Here use this. It was fast once we got it going. Second heat I was real happy. I beat Jay or Mic to the first bouy. Third heat the crank broke in his motor." Hey Knub your crank broke in your motor." Aw Rick in that Minnisotan thick drawl, "Don't worry about it, those motors are junk."I finally got to pay him back this year. I built him a JAE 21 from the plans. I think one of the most pleasurable builds I have had. Knub made an impression I never forgot. Always willing to reach in and help.

well my list i kinda byist.

to start with.. MY FATHER. he has done so much for so many including myself.. rebuilt motors for people at the lake. worked on my own stuff even when we fight lol.

will bend over backwards to help anyone and everyone as much as he can.. sometimes even more than he should.

ron zaker.

all around great guy.. and proud to call my friend. he and me have spent many hrs talking boats and other things.. he has helped me out tremedously over the yrs with advise and just a great boater

stu barr.

again proud to call my friend. spent many hrs on the phone with him. talking boats and just life in general. stu is the kind of guy i like to call the guidence counslor.

easy to talk to, always level headed. and will help any way he can.

there is so many more but that is just at the top of the list.

chris

"Moby" Dick Jones and Andy and John Brown!!! They were the most helpful individuals we had the pleasure of racing with since 93'

Steve and Jason Pas

tTed,

You've been a stand up guy since the 1st race I met you (what the hell was I trying to fix??) I'm still sorry I ran you over when you ran outta fuel - but it was a fun race - and I just couldnt quite catch ya! :) Good driving!

Truth is, prettty much every one in our club is gracious and generous (and you know this). I cant count the times I've gotten help - whether it was some 5 min CA to a reciever for the day. You dont need to go nationally to find a great group of racers.

Rather than list our club members & guys who come up to attend, let me just say I"M LUCKY TO RACE W/SOME GREAT PEOPLE!" Thanks Twin Cities for everything! ( Um, radio box tape, servos, recievers, CA, prop pliers, epoxy, etc etc)! :) :) Again THANKS!

I have a few guys that have been really good to me and others in this hobby. Just to list a few

Mike Grimracer Zabroski

Big Bryon

Dave Roach

Steve Wood

Rod Geraghty

Andy and John Brown

Al Hobbs

Ernie Lefluer

There are so many more

But a special mention should go out to TOM MOOREHOUSE he has done more than is fair for this hobby and web site.

I am new here, I am restarting my model boating life after being out of the hobby for many years. I think the stand up guys are anyone who answers to this topic. Happy Holidays to all.

After zig zaging across the south south east for 12 years racing R/C mobel boats in IMPBA you do fine some friendly people that you look forward to each year to racing with Or Help keep you Running @ the lake. These same guys you would enjoy having a meal with or a cold drink, Ralph Almirola,(Roadrunner) helps keep the hydro`s running & has vast knowledge of his boats, Walt Barney (Walt`s Hobbies) helps with any parts I can think up & might need. Rose Gary & Jerry Crowther (Seaducer boats) have always delivered fast boat Professionally built & many more parts that they stk. Steve & Jack Odonnell( Odonnell fuels & plugs) Jack will help anyway he can & loves the sport of model boating. Andy Brown (CMDI) countless sets of Great props. John Otto (Techonology fuels) John can take care of any part you might need. Harry Gerhart (flexshaft) for help keeping my boats umder 100 db`ssss Mark Sholund (props to you) These same guys have a small to large investment in there Garages & business & have a lot of passion about boating. Many are always willing to help the Next boater. as for the race organizers Mike Schindler & club (Evansville) Lamar Huff & his gang (Atlanta), John equi & Bill zuber (Huntsville), & many others in the south & south east have there finger on the Pulse of IMPBA racing & have devoted countless hrs in the sport to contribute there part. Thanks to every one of them for the RIDE!!! jw

Latest posts

Back