Where did YOU start

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi gang,home with a cold for christmas and reading these posts brings a smile to my face remembering all those good old days of the learing curve.

i built my 1st boat while i was flying u-control planes.it was a dumas 'atlas van lines .40 with a k/b .40 side exh with a muffler.took god know's how long to build,brpke in the motor on a test stand with a water bottle with a manual pump to get water in the head.went to the lake with mom,dad, and my cusin dave.had a good time but could not figure out why there was no water coming out the boat and keeped overheating.well got the bright idea of filling up the bathtub at home and fired up the boat while mom and dad at work.figured maybe more throttle would help? :blink: you had to be there for the BEATING & PUNISHMENT i got for FLOODING out the house and BLOWING out the Lighting Ballest in the ceiling :( .After all is said and done, i found out the next week that the boat had to be moving foward :huh: to get water into the head.the great things about all hobbies is that you always learn something new and always make new friends.to all my new friends, happy holidays. mike costanzo.

My first boat was a Wingding 60 rigger with a OS 67.

I built it in a one beadroom appartment and finished it one year later after we had moved into our first house. That's 33 years ago. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, here's the second boat i built..Its a Dumas(yep ANOTHER Dumas kit!) 20 size PAYNPAK/K&B car motor with an Octura Cool Clamp! JG F 20 Prop/ Hard shaft..that was fun to line up!! We got it so GOOD with flex drives! TINY little turn fin let it SLIDE like the big boats back in the day...I had a BALL with this thing! The rigger is an 82/83 Coyote 20,again K&B power...that was an AIRPLANE engine that i put a marine head on, along with a home made header and a black carb...got all sentimental one day and stripped and refinished it,and put a red carb on it..its ready to run..dont know if i ever will....Can you see the mid eighties wood Tomscat sittin on the shelf? that was a great little boat! All three of these boats are ready to run today...CRAZY huh? :lol: oh the PAK was built around 1980...almost 30 years ago! :)

WOW! I am most impressed with how clean and well maintained that stuff is...LOL :) Cool Stuff!
Thanks Norm....Merry Christmas to you and yours!

hi gang,home with a cold for christmas and reading these posts brings a smile to my face remembering all those good old days of the learing curve.

i built my 1st boat while i was flying u-control planes.it was a dumas 'atlas van lines .40 with a k/b .40 side exh with a muffler.took god know's how long to build,brpke in the motor on a test stand with a water bottle with a manual pump to get water in the head.went to the lake with mom,dad, and my cusin dave.had a good time but could not figure out why there was no water coming out the boat and keeped overheating.well got the bright idea of filling up the bathtub at home and fired up the boat while mom and dad at work.figured maybe more throttle would help? :blink: you had to be there for the BEATING & PUNISHMENT i got for FLOODING out the house and BLOWING out the Lighting Ballest in the ceiling :( .After all is said and done, i found out the next week that the boat had to be moving foward :huh: to get water into the head.the great things about all hobbies is that you always learn something new and always make new friends.to all my new friends, happy holidays. mike costanzo.
Mike, thats a great story :lol: seems there is a few of us that crossed over from UKIE to boats...a friend of mine who is in his sixties now just got an original Top Flight Flight Streak kit for Christmas...he is gonna build it and im gonna build mine and were going to go around in circles again! :lol: Merry Christmas!

Mike, thats a great story :lol: seems there is a few of us that crossed over from UKIE to boats...a friend of mine who is in his sixties now just got an original Top Flight Flight Streak kit for Christmas...he is gonna build it and im gonna build mine and were going to go around in circles again! :lol: Merry Christmas!
hi bill, the great thing was that i bumped into a bunch of old ukie flyers at the local lake and it turned out to be some of my best buddies from the local flying field(CRAZY 8'S IN FOREST PARK,NY) and we had not seen each other in many years but it was just like old times.after 31 years in some form of nitro modeling i still have the love for tinkering,building,crashing(rebuiling) :blink: and just plain old hanging out with a great bunch of people who have the love for it as i do.mike.

hi bill, the great thing was that i bumped into a bunch of old ukie flyers at the local lake and it turned out to be some of my best buddies from the local flying field(CRAZY 8'S IN FOREST PARK,NY) and we had not seen each other in many years but it was just like old times.after 31 years in some form of nitro modeling i still have the love for tinkering,building,crashing(rebuiling) :blink: and just plain old hanging out with a great bunch of people who have the love for it as i do.mike.
Same here, Mike...same here! Got the taste for nitro and modeling at about the age of 10, building 1/2A Ringmasters, Flight Streaks, or any other planes that you could screw a Cox .049 on...still remember getting and running my first Fox .35...MAN what a Thrill! Except when the **** thing BACKFIRED!! OUCH! :lol:

my first boat was a dumas deep v 60 with a vent co 61 in had to start it with a rope . sorry no pic's its long gone now

Year was 1964, a couple of years earlier my dad bought me a static model of a cabin crusier. I had been flying U control for about a year and mounted a .049 golden bee with a pusher prop on the back of the boat. The old man took one look and said it would'nt work, it's top heavy. He floated it in the tub, cut a hole in the deck and added balast and said try it.
wink.gif
Well living in Manhattan ponds are hard to come by, but I new just the place. http://www.cpmyc.org Set the rudder, fired it up and off it went doing circles around the lake.
tongue.gif
Well Muffy and Uncle Biff in there crested blazers didn't appreciate me swamping there sailboats and called the cops, had to jump in water up to my waist and retreive the boat. Ran home with it tucked under my arm with the park rangers in hot persuit. Dam those were fun times.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

my first success with a u-control was the flite streak! it was Maroon in color. I still remember the silk span application and the maroon dope.

Year was 1964, a couple of years earlier my dad bought me a static model of a cabin crusier. I had been flying U control for about a year and mounted a .049 golden bee with a pusher prop on the back of the boat. The old man took one look and said it would'nt work, it's top heavy. He floated it in the tub, cut a hole in the deck and added balast and said try it.
wink.gif
Well living in Manhattan ponds are hard to come by, but I new just the place. http://www.cpmyc.org Set the rudder, fired it up and off it went doing circles around the lake.
tongue.gif
Well Muffy and Uncle Biff in there crested blazers didn't appreciate me swamping there sailboats and called the cops, had to jump in water up to my waist and retreive the boat. Ran home with it tucked under my arm with the park rangers in hot persuit. Dam those were fun times.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Sounds like the time I attached my .049 to the top of a small wood car and let it go in the school parking lot. That make some excitement too!!!!!! Enjoying the trip down memory lane but the wife is telling me to warm up the car for church, BYE~!!!!

my first success with a u-control was the flite streak! it was Maroon in color. I still remember the silk span application and the maroon dope.
Did you use Ambroid model cement to build yours?? Man, between that and all the Butyrate Dope i used when i was younger, its no wonder why im so GOOFY! :lol:

I remember the War Machines. First Winter Nats I went to I saw one do a perfect slow motion blowover/backflip and keep on going. I have a scanner now so I'll dig up some of my old pics and show my early junk. :p

Bill,

I don't think that the glue and dope made you GOOFY, I think that it just come's natural........

Walt Barney.

I think my first boat was in 1964, it was 18" long with a .049 OK Cub in it with single channel radio, you pushed the button one time to go right and pushed it twice real quick to go left, we ran a Philips Park in Aurora at the horseshoe pits, latter on we got enough guys to start a club, The Fox Valley RC Boaters, ( I think Tom remembers them ), sometimes we would go up to Lombard Lagoon and run with Gary Preusse and his group, the radio's where so bad you had to 1 boat at a time, boy you guys don't know good you have it now with good radios,, I was flying U-Control at the time, rat race, combat, and some stunt.

Those where the good old days John R.

Did you use Ambroid model cement to build yours?? Man, between that and all the Butyrate Dope i used when i was younger, its no wonder why im so GOOFY! :lol:
Yea, That ambroid glue. I guess that's why it felt so good building an airplane in those days. I guess that's why Dad was always asking if I was feeling ok and kept checking on me. I didn't know the side effects. I was just a dumb kid. Oh no....just left myself open for a zinger!

Well, John, now that you mentioned it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carl

i was just thinking of all the smiles :rolleyes: i used to get while putting on the silkspan with the "areogloss dope" while my mother was in the kitchen cooking or doing the dishes! i also had some boo-boo's like trying to adjust the needle vavle on a motor with fiberglass prop, and had to have my index finger sewn back on :eek: but do miss flying fast combat wings with bladder cells and carrier and pylon speed. aahh the good old days.

I got my RC boat 23 years ago a Dumas 3.5 hot shot and a K/B outboard.I still have the boat and engine and it's been 16 plus years that I haven't ran it.I had alot of help from Jim Irwin back then and still going strong.

Dave Roach

Started boating in 1968 as a member of WAM. Original member at the start of NAMBA with Gary Johnson, Don Coad, Mom Coad, Al Metlak, George Campbell. Have been a member since. My first boat was a home built hydro with a torp 40 for the power plant.. Also ran a Paul Rumburg mono, dragon fly 20-40-60, a DP mixer. I did start with a world engines galloping ghost radio. I still have the radio and also have a Paul Rumburg gas mono scaled from a sanger flat bottom hull with a OlsenRice generator engine with a v drive...If anyone has a RC Modeler magazine with the article from the first Monterey Nationals the picture on the cover is my motorhome with myself Jim Witchlatch and Wally Stewart I would like to but it.

I started in '78 with hte Atlanta Model Boaters at the old Stome Mountain pond; the one with the rock! My first hull was a Dumas SV10 that I put a Fox 35 with an Octura cool clamp and hard shaft drive. Then came a scratch built tunnel from MAN plans (I think) with a K&B 21 OB. that I added a tuned pipe straight out the back. PLayed with that until it got run over by a 67 or 90 Sightler mono on a play day (If I recall correctly it was driven by Raymond Gonzales), but I sure tore up his prop. Then came a 3D mono with a gold head OPS65. MAn that sure seems like a long time ago.

Back