What's the ride pad Bulge for on the left sponson of the 8200 Hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobGutsell

So I'm building my ML kit as you've seen and noticed that the Ride pad bulges outwards by 10mm on Frames 6 & 7. I've checked my Drawing and it's exactly as drawn by Roger Newton and seems to be a feature of this hull.

My question is what is it supposed to do?

Do most people leave it as is for the model, or reduce it some?

IMG00019-20111012-2141.jpg

IMG00023-20111012-2144.jpg

IMG00025-20111012-2145.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that only on the outside sponson? Probally wont matter much if you straighten that line from 5 to 6 then let it curve into 7. I prefer straight parallel ride pads.

Just so everyone knows, When I first started doing kits, they were based on the Newton plans almost directly. Time has passed, and a lot of racers have talked to me about modernizing the kits to work a lot better with today's power and to handle different conditions better. This 8200 kit was one of the first few I did, and the sponsons were done almost directly off the plans. This kit, along with most others, have totally different sponsons, with straight ride pads. I guess you could say they have evolved as time gone by. I did also talk to Bob about this earlier today so he knew. Mike

It's all Good Mike, I was just curious to know if anybody else knew why Roger Newton had deisgned it like this. I'd begun to think about straightening it, but wanted to get some more opinions before possibly shooting myself in the foot.

I gotta tell you guys, who don't already know, these really are cool kits to build. I'm amazed how quickly and straight it goes together. don't get me wrong, I'm a very happy camper, just curious to know about stuff that looks different <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Back