Building a kit boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P THOMAS

Supporting Member
Vendor
I was asked about building a jig to construct wood kit boats. Here is what i do, you can make as fancy a jig as you like but all it has to be is straight and flat.

Well you just need to make a board that fits between the front sponson, use the #4 or 5 frame to find the width of the bottom. (between the 1/8th keel frames)

I make a U shape box maybe put a 1x4 on bottom to be sure it is flat. I use some 1/2 ply for the sides deep enough so the bottom of the sponson clears the table.

You use the jig to frame it up and get the frame glued to the bottom square and flat. You can then remove it from the jig to add the after plane and the sponson bottom skins hold off on the ride pads till you get the decks glued on.

To make sure the hull is built with out a twist use a flat building surface so the front sponsons and the rear corners are sitting on the flat table surface.

Then you dry fit the decks to the frame and tape and weight it down to check how it fits. Then go and apply your glue to the bottom of the decks and the frames and tape and weigh it down while the hull is sitting on the flat surface. i usually do one side at a time. After the decks are on the hull will not twist.

Glue on the ride pads last checking to see if they are flat and at the correct angle, 3 degree is about right, more important each side is the same angle.

When you get done your hull should not wobble on the flat table and all four corners sit on the table. When you tip the hull forward on to the ride pads they should sit flat and be at the same angle.

If all else fails buy one of my ready to race epoxyglass kits :D

Back