What was the last year Unlimiteds raced Miami?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClayGlover

I found a bunch of great pictures I took at the last race at the Biscayne Bay venue in Miami. I was hoping someone could tell me what year was the last year unlimiteds toured this far south so I can put a date on these pictures. Was it 1991? Brainfart I guess, and I can't find it on hydroprop.com or googling the net.

Man I sure miss them too. 200 mph running so close to where we stood on shore you could feel the roostertail's "over-spray" carried on the breeze. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it. 1993. Thanks Rick.

Below is a digital picture I took of a printed photograph, so the pic-of-a-pic image is not very good, but you can see how close to shore they ran. Gave me goosebumps...what a rush! TV does no justice compared to being there. Being this close, you can easily see the drivers in the cockpit steering like mad. It was hard to get the boats centered in the pictures due to the split second it takes to do a flyby like this-

[sorry about the size]

"wwwhhhhheeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooowww"!!!! B)

1021671MiamiHydroMissCircusCircusreduced.jpg

Sweet pic Clay! My dad is on the Board of govs. for the San Diego race, and for the last few years we have been the schudle boat on the course using our boat. We take officials to and from the start finish and to the judge boats on the turns. Joe Little wanted to watch some of the dragboat action on the otherside of the bay last year so we got the call to take him and some of the Bud crew over to the drags. That is when he told me that he planed to continue what his dad was doing-NOT. Any way, in the unlimited final the tide was going out making the front straight prety narrow. We were on our boat beached and had the unlimiteds fly by about the same as in your photo but we were on the water too :eek: The CD asked us over the radio if we would watch from the beach for the rest of the final :blink:

I must have misplaced the Bud pics, as I don't see any in the stack. :huh: Here are a few others. They're grainy, I don't have a scanner-

[SIZE=14pt]Kelloggs being chased (possibly lapped, I can't recall) by Hanauer I believe, hard to tell-[/SIZE]

10233421000338tonyscropped.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Misses T-Plus, Tide, and Circus Circus putting on a show-[/SIZE]

10233431000339startcropped.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Nice rooster behind the Miss Tide just entering the backstretch with Miss Circus[/SIZE]

about a half a football field behind on the inside lane. Notice how small the boats

look relative to the height and length of the skidfin's spray. This gives an idea of

cornering speeds as these boats complete a long and wide 180 degree turn before

the roostertails have time to fall back down. Scroll the page to the right to see

the full image-

10235841000344tiderooster.jpg

Watercadet said:
I have video of that on HI-8 if anyone knows how to upload it.
I would be very interested in a copy of that video. If I mailed you a VHS tape and return postage, would you help me out? Thanks- Clay

Clay if you wanted, I got a scanner. you could send me the photos and i'd be happy to scan them and send them back to you

Back