What overall length 2.5mm (.098) wire drives would you like to see?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What length 2.5mm(.098) wire drive would you like to see?

• 12" end to end

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 18" end to end

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • 24" end to end

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • longer than 24"

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

RaceMechaniX

Supporting Member
Guys,

Larger 1/8" with 1/4" stub shaft wire drives are catching on in the gas market. These are very high quality assemblies and can me trimmed to length. The gas size drivelines may only be useful for 67 and larger motors, but overkill for 45 and smaller. If a high quality .098"(2.5mm) solid flex cable with a 3/16" stub shaft suitable for .21 and .45 size boats was available, are you interested?

What length from end to end would you like to see:

1. 12"
2. 18"
3. 24"
4. Longer than 24"

Tyler

If there was a considerable gain to be had yes by all means! Why do you feel 1/8th is to large for a 21?

I have looked into going to wire drives on my two Gas boats but it sounds like my Thunderboat needs less bend in the stuffing tube and my Mono is straight. I guess straight doesn't work because it requires a little bend to keep the drive from whipping and to much bend would I guess cause drag and wear to much on the stuffing tube until failure would occur.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron,

1/8" shaft is likely too stiff for a .21. I have run .078" wire in my 21 Seaducer with no problems.

There are definite gains on the order of 20-50W worth of energy wasted from larger cables. Brent who is making them for the gas boats produces a nice slip in stuffing tube with bushings along the way inside to support the wire. This greatly reduces the whip.

Tyler

Back