What is your club doing to support RTR boats?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piper_chuck

I'll get this ball rolling by listing some of the things we've done:

• We have the Reef Racer Challenge that I listed in another thread. This is specifically geared toward growing boaters.
  • Our club has a standing "run what you brung" policy. As long as it doesn't violate any IMPBA safety rules, it can be run.
  • We include RTR classes in our district points race.
  • Active participation in forums to make contact with new members.
  • Developed RTR rules proposal that's working its way through the IMPBA process.

What did we do? Well... we just DID IT!

At the 2007 NAMBA FE Nats, the PSFEMBC (our club), simply announced the Spec SV27 class, made a set of rules that would ensure that out of the box boats had every bit as much chance of being competitive as a boat build fully to the rules, and then we put the idea into practice! It was one of the biggest classes of the event.

Here are the rules: http://www.drcwebservices.com/wanats07/info.htm#supervrules

Well Chuck, seeing how you asked, with this new club that we're forming up in Grand Rapids, they guy that runs the site would like to see a regular RTR points series with both FE and nitro boats possibly on a bi-weekly (more or less) basis like what they do with the R/C car classes. This guy wants to get the pond used as much as possible and hopes to convert a lot of the 4-wheeled racers over to boats.

Well Chuck, seeing how you asked, with this new club that we're forming up in Grand Rapids, they guy that runs the site would like to see a regular RTR points series with both FE and nitro boats possibly on a bi-weekly (more or less) basis like what they do with the R/C car classes. This guy wants to get the pond used as much as possible and hopes to convert a lot of the 4-wheeled racers over to boats.
D-14 has added RTR to the series and Evansville has had them the last 1 1/2 its growing usssually have 5-7 at a race. If i did not have too many boats now id think about one. Im talking RTR .018

We started what I have been calling the " Mini Thunder " class of .18 RTR hydros at last years Northwest Scale Championship race in Seattle. We ran a 10 boat final and all had a great time....Attached is the flier for this years race and a photo my 1990 Oh Boy! Oberto Miss Vegas....

Racing is Racing at any speed .... :)

Marty

We started what I have been calling the " Mini Thunder " class of .18 RTR hydros at last years Northwest Scale Championship race in Seattle. We ran a 10 boat final and all had a great time....Attached is the flier for this years race and a photo my 1990 Oh Boy! Oberto Miss Vegas....
Racing is Racing at any speed .... :)

Marty
Marty, That is EXACTLY right!! Racing IS Racing at ANY speed!! Bill

Good ideas, let's keep them flowing.

Something I forgot to mention is that for stock .18 hydros we're running a shortened course. We found that the full course became tedious for both the racers and spectators. We use the full course for the mill, but at the start we switch to using the front entrance buoy and buoys 4, 5, and 6. To compensate for running a shorter distance, we increase to 8 laps. The drivers who have run this course like it because instead of having to deal with the the long, tedious straights, they get to spend more time in the turns.

Good ideas, let's keep them flowing.
Something I forgot to mention is that for stock .18 hydros we're running a shortened course. We found that the full course became tedious for both the racers and spectators. We use the full course for the mill, but at the start we switch to using the front entrance buoy and buoys 4, 5, and 6. To compensate for running a shorter distance, we increase to 8 laps. The drivers who have run this course like it because instead of having to deal with the the long, tedious straights, they get to spend more time in the turns.
I agree with Chuck,

We raced together in the PTPT First Club Race, and even though he lapped me the first two heats, it was much more exciting to run the shorter course with these boats, alot more side by side racing too! :rolleyes: right Chuck, sorry about that. My dad didn't throw far enough on that last heat. When I got home I was cleaning the RTR back up and noticed the rudder was bent up about a 1/2".

Great racing, that was my first club race with my RTR. It's a great class.

Doug

My dad didn't throw far enough on that last heat. When I got home I was cleaning the RTR back up and noticed the rudder was bent up about a 1/2".
Mudbug made a comment that we need to do a bit of dredging in the launch area. When it's not deep enough for a .18 RTR, there's definitely a problem. :eek:

Here in dist.8 we are running a 18 class both stock and mod. The turnout has been great. In the stock class you have to leave the boat basically un altered you can sand the sponsons but add no material. In the mod class you can change sponsons, move radio boxes and remove wings. We do have a engine claimer rule so it discourages expensive engines you also must run the factory pipe. Greg

Back