What are peoples favorite choice on FE Outboard lower units

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a modded Hyperformance Angle Drive I run on my VS-1. Had to drill a relief in the lower unit to allow the coupler to drop in, but, with the REK adaptor [bolts right on] the CG is pretty low. Modded the skeg for more dig. Works great. :)

DSC00876_1.JPG

DSC00877_1.JPG

DSC00878.JPG

DSC00931_1.JPG

If you can't utilize the power, then there is no need to spend the money on it... In other words... a $300.00 motor and $600.00 ESC won't do you any good, because a $75.00 motor and $100.00 ESC will get the job done and not overpower the hull.
You have to understand that FE basically has LIMITLESS power... There are no motor parameters in the "open" classes... so if someone limits the voltage... you just set it up to draw more Amps and you're making the same power...
I can see the logic behind it and understand the power potential , but I also know from experience that an O/B tunnel that is overpowered and too short spends a lot of time upside down and in the retrieve boat rather than actually "racing".

Surely the length should also accomodate commercially available hulls capable of better handling the power outputs to a point (such as the ones Lohring pointed out, HTB, Hornet etc). This is particularly relevant in this day and age where people already own 7.5cc tunnel hulls and can make the switch to F/E less difficult by using some existing equipment. Add to the equation the K&B 7.5cc supply issues in recent years as further reasoning to make the switch with hulls of that size.....

That's part of what makes "P-Spec" so appealing... We're approaching 50mph with a power system that costs less than $150.00 (not including Batteries), and the competition is great... Racing boats, not wallets... ;)
P Spec does sound appealing - & I'm trying to get it happening here at my own club. If cost containment and close racing is the goal - that class fits nicely.

If the boat is upside down because it is over powered then the driver needs to power down ;)

I tell you what it give me the shits still when the slow guy wins the races!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Kris i think you need to post a pic of the mod to the lawless drive you have done.

Sure helps with the lower center of gravity

Dave

Dave

Kris i think you need to post a pic of the mod to the lawless drive you have done. Sure helps with the lower center of gravity
I too would like to see this. I run Lawless drives myself and I could see the benefit in lowering the CG.

Doug

Old boat, same lower unit...

Unit was machined out, bolt holes drilled through mounting plate, a square drive coupler made and then made some flex shafts to suit...easy :lol:

Dave
Kris i think you need to post a pic of the mod to the lawless drive you have done. Sure helps with the lower center of gravity
I too would like to see this. I run Lawless drives myself and I could see the benefit in lowering the CG.

Doug
Doug... it's a pretty simple mod, but you have to find someone to make you new flex cables, because they are about 1.1" shorter... Kris Flynn was nice enough to make mine for me.

DO the mod! It REALLY makes a noticable difference.... Also gets the motors tucked down behind the cowl.

Latest posts

Back