What are peoples favorite choice on FE Outboard lower units

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A well maintained shaft is the key, with proper oiling between runs.

I have only broken 2 shafts (which were old cut down K&B shafts)...both were due to not taking the flex out (and got rusty) and cleaning it at the end of the day (got lazy) a bigger problem I have had is the dodgy K&B stub rounding out the square drive because the flex didn't utilize the whole depth of the hole...which I fixed by making the square longer at the stub shaft end...

Cheers

Kris

To clarify what I was saying... I've seen shafts... fairly new, and well maintained... simply twisted into knots by the power of an all-out P power system... Same thing that happens when you run .150" cable in a P-Mono or P-Sport hydro...

Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done... just that I'd run a 7.5 with the larger cable if I were building a true all-out P-OPC... and the hull would be 33.9999999995" long... ;)

Its not just about Length Darin, width is important too ;) stability in the Corners in the 'race' water is a must!

I know what you are saying about the shafts...but they were not using mine were they? :D Having said that in my 4S1P FE33 mono i use .150 Cable and it spins at over 40K with a 40X53 prop with no Dramas LOL

I know what you are saying about the shafts...but they were not using mine were they? :D
No... they weren't! ;)

Speaking of which... I'll be contacting you shortly about some things we talked about... shafts... and the tools we discussed...

Excellent, guess I should start making them, both tool sizes?

Sorry for taking it off track...to answer the original question, my favourite lower unit is the OS, but I currently use a modified Lawless 3.5 leg for my P OPC

I also use 2 REK lower units for my Twin, main reason being price! They are so cheap and easy to machine!

Cheers

Kris

OK, I'll take it off track again.....I'm good at that . You say " real P motor" your not talking about "P spec"?

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed

P Spec Tunnel = 4S, 1P, Motor must be SV, BJ, or UL1

P Tunnel = 4S up to 2P, Any motor choice

Limit of 34" length for both.

The Leecraft TX 460 is 35". Did Lorhing cut it down or does he just run it for fun?

Doug

The Leecraft TX 460 is 35". Did Lorhing cut it down or does he just run it for fun?
Doug
I don't know what Lohring has done... the one the Brian built was cut down at the tips to be 34"... He ran the 7.5 Bullet Drive lower with a Feigao 580 6L motor on 4S2P and it was PLENTY of power for the hull... couldn't keep it on the water. The 7L would be likely be a better choice... but still more than enough power...

Not to Worry Lorning , I have an Amps Unit on mine that I used to run an OS 65 on it. It will handle my 1521 .

The Leecraft XT-460 is about 34" long. It has been around a long time and I have raced it with everything from 3.5 cc to 11 cc nitro motors and now electric. The boat takes increasing driving skill as the speeds exceed 60 mph. The P motors are capable of driving the boat at least that fast, so it is actually a little small for that power, just as it is a little small for anything more powerful than a K&B 7.5 Pro stock engine. The HTB 360, the Van Hooten Hornet, and similar boats would be better for P power plants, but they are all over the length limit.

As Darren mentioned, shaft size is the problem with the lower units usually used for electric tunnels. I think a 3/16 shaft is the minimum for full P power plants. Electric motors have huge low rpm torque and can easily bend and break things. I have never seen broken propeller blades or sheered tips on set screws with gas or nitro engines.

Lohring Miller

Here's a pic of my XT-460. I really need to put a milder motor on it, the Feigau 580 6T is just a bit violent. Yes I cut the tips down to bring it under 34".

Here's a pic of my XT-460. I really need to put a milder motor on it, the Feigau 580 6T is just a bit violent. Yes I cut the tips down to bring it under 34".
Brian, you should show it parked next to the VS-1, just for some perspective! ;)

So Brians boat has on the 7.5 bullit from Hypo? It looks like it works to me.

I did have a close up look at an OS last weekend. Where are these purchased?

Doug

The OS is a SWEET unit... If I didn't already have the Lawless, that's what I'd be running... I do use the OS mounting system and convert my Lawless units over to that. Grim knows why! ;)

Was on the Tower site.

Is there only one size OS? Is there no 7.5 size? To get one you have to order each individual part?

Doug

Was on the Tower site.
Is there only one size OS? Is there no 7.5 size? To get one you have to order each individual part?

Doug
Hi Doug

They must be available complete too. I bought mine complete including cable and propshaft from Oval Express Racing .

Dick

The Leecraft XT-460 is about 34" long. It has been around a long time and I have raced it with everything from 3.5 cc to 11 cc nitro motors and now electric. The boat takes increasing driving skill as the speeds exceed 60 mph. The P motors are capable of driving the boat at least that fast, so it is actually a little small for that power, just as it is a little small for anything more powerful than a K&B 7.5 Pro stock engine. The HTB 360, the Van Hooten Hornet, and similar boats would be better for P power plants, but they are all over the length limit.
As Darren mentioned, shaft size is the problem with the lower units usually used for electric tunnels. I think a 3/16 shaft is the minimum for full P power plants. Electric motors have huge low rpm torque and can easily bend and break things. I have never seen broken propeller blades or sheered tips on set screws with gas or nitro engines.
Surely it would make for better racing if the 34" hull length rule was adjusted to suit the hulls capable of handling the power capability? After all the problem will continue to get worse as the batteries / ESC's / Motors etc improve with technology.......

Hey Tim,

I think the Length rule is OK in that it 'Limits' the power that can actually be utilized to keep the raced competative (sort of)

Not saying I want it over here, but we also dont run over 150g er cell, which is half what these guys run normally...

Kris

Surely it would make for better racing if the 34" hull length rule was adjusted to suit the hulls capable of handling the power capability? After all the problem will continue to get worse as the batteries / ESC's / Motors etc improve with technology.......
This is precisely WHY we have the length rule... Without it, you will constantly be chasing the latest and greatest and your equipment this season will be obsolete the next...

If you can't utilize the power, then there is no need to spend the money on it... In other words... a $300.00 motor and $600.00 ESC won't do you any good, because a $75.00 motor and $100.00 ESC will get the job done and not overpower the hull.

You have to understand that FE basically has LIMITLESS power... There are no motor parameters in the "open" classes... so if someone limits the voltage... you just set it up to draw more Amps and you're making the same power...

That's part of what makes "P-Spec" so appealing... We're approaching 50mph with a power system that costs less than $150.00 (not including Batteries), and the competition is great... Racing boats, not wallets... ;)

Back