What a day with my twin.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UGOT8

Supporting Member
I'd like to say thanks to all the guys on this site that lead me in the right direction to getting my twin rigger running. I'd like to give special thanks to Rudi Arnesen and Boris Mazon for the flow meter. I had a great day at the lake, I ran 4 tanks through and it was very consistant. I'm still in the break in process but everything is going well.

:D

I'd like to say thanks to all the guys on this site that lead me in the right direction to getting my twin rigger running. I'd like to give special thanks to Rudi Arnesen and Boris Mazon for the flow meter. I had a great day at the lake, I ran 4 tanks through and it was very consistant. I'm still in the break in process but everything is going well.
Is that 4 tanks through it, or 8 (4x2)? :huh:

ugot8, it must have been a good day from twin, first run, it would fall off the pipe and would not get back on, clean out needle valve and ran agian, same thing, ran two lap, then fell off pipe, this time i put filters before the needle valves , and they ran till the tanks were empty. i had marc orhler driving the boat he gave good compliments on the boat, hope he would chime in here .

Is that 4 tanks through it, or 8 (4x2)? :huh:
8 if you want to get technical. I still have three prop sizes to try out, hopefully this week turns out as good as last.

ugot8, it must have been a good day from twin, first run, it would fall off the pipe and would not get back on, clean out needle valve and ran agian, same thing, ran two lap, then fell off pipe, this time i put filters before the needle valves , and they ran till the tanks were empty. i had marc orhler driving the boat he gave good compliments on the boat, hope he would chime in here .

Tony, glad to see you are enjoying your twin .When those engines are in sync together that is the finest sound !

As jeff was saying,the smallest things you overlook can come back to haunt you.His scratch built twin is a very fast twin

indeed .It handles very well,just like it was on rails.I think he want's to build me a single engine boat.

His boats are called ,HORNET HYDROS.Someone on IW has some pictures of his boats.

MARC OHLER

Whenever you start tunning your twin, its always a good idea to start with long pipes and small props. Gives you more room to get those engines in sync. Once you get them consistant(while still very rich), then put some bigger(or more pitch) props on there, which will increase your load and lean the engines out. The long pipes will help pull them. Once your consistant with more load (while still a little rich), then start shortening up the pipes and hold on!!! This is a philosophy I was shown years ago by one of the best. For instance my first run with my new CMB 80's was with H38's and 12" pipes! Super long I know. But I learned alot about the boat and engines during the first few runs. Much easier to get the engines in sync. The road that started there, ended with 1667's with some pitch and much shorter pipes in sequence. Your on a good path! You gotta love them twins!!!! Twin fever baby!

Larry Jr.

Whenever you start tunning your twin, its always a good idea to start with long pipes and small props. Gives you more room to get those engines in sync. Once you get them consistant(while still very rich), then put some bigger(or more pitch) props on there, which will increase your load and lean the engines out. The long pipes will help pull them. Once your consistant with more load (while still a little rich), then start shortening up the pipes and hold on!!! This is a philosophy I was shown years ago by one of the best. For instance my first run with my new CMB 80's was with H38's and 12" pipes! Super long I know. But I learned alot about the boat and engines during the first few runs. Much easier to get the engines in sync. The road that started there, ended with 1667's with some pitch and much shorter pipes in sequence. Your on a good path! You gotta love them twins!!!! Twin fever baby!
Larry Jr.
I agree with you 100% on that I started with small props, long pipes and very rich. And thats the direction I've been following, like I said I have a few more sets of props to try. What a blast I'm having with it, its been quit a learning experience. I would like to thank Larry and all the other members inputs.

Tony

Larry Jr.
I live and race in norway, and we drive our boats different then you do. Our laptimes are faster then yours even thou we go slower. throttling is very importent in the way we race. I,v seen some races from US and to me it seems like there is only one position for the throttle, and that is on.

I had and stil have several 80 boats and there is no chance we can run pipelenght shorter then 12". if the lenght is shorter i need to stay full throttle and never let the revs come down.

I live and race in norway, and we drive our boats different then you do. Our laptimes are faster then yours even thou we go slower. throttling is very importent in the way we race. I,v seen some races from US and to me it seems like there is only one position for the throttle, and that is on.

I had and stil have several 80 boats and there is no chance we can run pipelenght shorter then 12". if the lenght is shorter i need to stay full throttle and never let the revs come down.

Well then, I guess your going to just have to come over here and show us how its done then :D So your lap times are faster even though you go slower? Thats Amazing. Please enlighten us in the US how that is accomplished. Oh, and please dont tell us that it is because your boats turn better than ours. Im sorry to hear you cant run shorter than 12", maybe you should try some different pipes :p But please explain this "throttling" concept to us, Im very interested...........seeing as how all the time trials Ive been too, Ive never once seen anyone "throttle" during any record run. They must be missing something that you guys over there got. So yeah, tell me how to improve my lap times by going slower please.............

Larry Jr.

PS, This is not an attack, its all in good fun. I like to debate :D

There has been 3 people from Norway in the us competing with you.. Jørn markset, kjell Gunnar Noddeland and Tore Hilde… if I don’t remember wrong they won almost every class they competed in .. Baltarzar

There has been 3 people from Norway in the us competing with you.. Jørn markset, kjell Gunnar Noddeland and Tore Hilde… if I don’t remember wrong they won almost every class they competed in .. Baltarzar
GO NORWAY :D ... Here's to Lutefisk, Leftse, and Reindeer blood! I grew up on the 2 "L's" and singing Norwegian Christmas songs... (Did I mention my uncles Olaf & Sven??) :D

Still waiting to find out how I can get faster times with a slower boat............

Larry Jr. :rolleyes:

Start on the clock, run a tighter course, and finish heats (overall race time).................
I think most in europe run under naviga rules and that it's a different course. Don't know how the US course looks like but in the Netherlands this is our course: link

We also don't have that many engine classes that you have, only 21, 45, and 90 for nitro.

Start on the clock, run a tighter course, and finish heats (overall race time).................
I think most in europe run under naviga rules and that it's a different course. Don't know how the US course looks like but in the Netherlands this is our course: link

We also don't have that many engine classes that you have, only 21, 45, and 90 for nitro.
A little bit shorter than an IMPBA course- 328 feet vs. 330 ft. in the straights & 32 foot radius vs. 35ft. in the corners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still waiting to find out how I can get faster times with a slower boat............
Its simple

You race at 100 miles in lane 20, while I,m racing at 80 miles in lane 1. Who do you think will finish first?
Well let's see, if a lane is 2-3 feet wide that would be 40 to 60 feet off the buoys, I don't think so. :blink:

So Rudi are you assuming for some rather bizarre reason all US racers run in lane 20? If so you are sadly mistaken. :rolleyes:

Heck, a number of sites we race at lane 20 would be on the bank. :eek:

Its simple

You race at 100 miles in lane 20, while I,m racing at 80 miles in lane 1. Who do you think will finish first?
Well let's see, if a lane is 2-3 feet wide that would be 40 to 60 feet off the buoys, I don't think so. :blink:

So Rudi are you assuming for some rather bizarre reason all US racers run in lane 20? If so you are sadly mistaken. :rolleyes:

Heck, a number of sites we race at lane 20 would be on the bank. :eek:
Maybe Andy Brown could give some comments, as he knows what I am talking about. He has been racing several times at the world championship and he did not became champion one year because he was racing so much faster then all others.

Back