Using scale and blocks to balance round nose

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Zaker Jr

Supporting Member
What kind of number is close for a round nose sitting on blocks (under frts at trailing edge) with the strut on a digital scale. I have never done it this way ,just asking .Thx.

Hey Ron, what you're talking about is tail weight. I'm not sure what that should be, but the balance point of a roundnose should be around 90% of the distance from the sponson transom, and the rear transom. The tail weight would vary from hull to hull due to total weight.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Hey Ron, what you're talking about is tail weight. I'm not sure what that should be, but the balance point of a roundnose should be around 90% of the distance from the sponson transom, and the rear transom. The tail weight would vary from hull to hull due to total weight.

Hope this helps.
Steve
Thanks Steve..

Ron,
Don’t know if this will help. Many years ago I had a great running MTO round nose 1/8 scale that had 4oz. of tail weight!

If you really want to see where you are at put scales under the back of each sponson running surfaces and remove the prop and set the stub shaft on the scale (or a piece of foam to block it up until the bottom is level). This will give you not only fore and aft, but side to side percentages.

Because each boat is a different weight every boat will have a different and specific prop weight. Percentages are the key equalizer, but that's only a starting point. I've had boats come out of the same mold and they are never exactly the same in terms of set up. You get close and put it on the water and start adjusting from there by how the boat ride is. But of course, the faster the boat gets you will have to keep making alterations.

Last edited:
If you really want to see where you are at put scales under the back of each sponson running surfaces and remove the prop and set the stub shaft on the scale (or a piece of foam to block it up until the bottom is level). This will give you not only fore and aft, but side to side percentages.

Because each boat is a different weight every boat will have a different and specific prop weight. Percentages are the key equalizer, but that's only a starting point. I've had boats come out of the same mold and they are never exactly the same in terms of set up. You get close and put it on the water and start adjusting from there by how the boat ride is. But of course, the faster the boat gets you will have to keep making alterations.
thank you

Dont beat yourself up on tail weight Id think as much as a pound is ok. When you get to testing try moving a water bottle around in the boat. We had a thunderboat that we ended up adding weight to the tail to get it to perform

Latest posts

Back